New Gearbox S4 B8

S4_LEE

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if this is good or bad news, but I've just been in contact with the service manager from the Audi dealer that the previous owner of my S4 Avant used with respect to some gearbox work carried out in May 2014.

She has just confirmed that the gearbox was in fact replaced under goodwill with 7300 miles on the clock. Obviously i'm delighted that I have a gearbox that has only covered 6k and still has 2 months warranty left.... But a gearbox failing after 7k has to be a concern. Lets hope it is a 2014 gearbox and not an early model that's likely to fail again...

Reactions: scotty76
Carista app on iPhone, you can scan for errors and do mods, basically a light version of VCDS. There's s big thread on here about it
Just downloaded the App, I'll order an OBD plug from amazon and give it a go.

Reactions: razza1
Just downloaded the App, I'll order an OBD plug from amazon and give it a go.

Ok just followed the link with Carista for the iOS OBD adaptor, without reading the thread for carista is this the one I'm looking for? for an iphone6.

Amazon product

Reactions: Chop.
Hey Lee! I've got a VCDS cable and we're local to each other IIRC. I work in Reading, you're welcome to pop over to my office one lunch time to do a full scan and extract this info. Let me know fella!

Reactions: Chop., TahirS, scotty76 and 1 other person
Hey Lee! I've got a VCDS cable and we're local to each other IIRC. I work in Reading, you're welcome to pop over to my office one lunch time to do a full scan and extract this info. Let me know fella!

Cheers Jay that would be great mate, love to see your car at the same time. I'll message you my number.

This!!! I know no I'm not gonna find this with another similar car...

If you've got carista, do a full scan and look at the coding on the gearbox, if it starts 8K1 then it's the latter unit, 8K0 and it's the early ones

A huge thank you to Jay for scanning my car at the mini S4 meet today.

Good news, It looks as if it is the latter gearbox that's been fitted: Part No SW: 8K1 927 156 AC

Reactions: jdp1962, razza1, kanecullen89 and 2 others
Should be more reliable then. I'd be pretty happy knowing the box was replaced tbh.
Make sure you capture the mileage it was changed at, and then do the oil change 38k miles after it, 37k tbh to ensure its not 1 mile over the timing

Reactions: S4_LEE
Cheers razza1, I've just written to Audi asking when to change the oil (38k or 45k) to be compliant with the extended warranty.

Reactions: razza1
Change the gearbox oil early anyway, for the sake of the gearbox and not just to keep the warranty.

Reactions: S4_LEE and razza1
I'd be interested to find out too, Jay, the next time you're in the area, if you don't mind! :)
(Unless the older VCDS cable I got from you may be able to extract that particular info - I should probably check!)

I'd be interested to find out too, Jay, the next time you're in the area, if you don't mind! :)
(Unless the older VCDS cable I got from you may be able to extract that particular info - I should probably check!)
Where are you nick? I'm Caversham and work in green park. Carista full scan should give this info...

Reactions: TechNick
Pretty sure MRC confirmed it to be the K1 gearbox, the last time it was with them, but reading this thread has got me wondering again!!
I should probably try scanning with my existing (older) VCDS cable first, in case it can determine it, but otherwise may well look to take you up on your kind offer, at some point! :)

More peace of mind than anything, as box was replaced just over 2 years ago - shortly before I bought it.
Do you not have the paper work for the replacement as should have the part number on it?
Happy to help scan but work is just crazy at the moment so wouldn't be able to pop over, as the full scan takes about 5-10mins, so would need you to come to me. Plus we'd need to find some time to show you what MRC can do lol :)
This week is out for me, but could maybe meet up the week after if you wanted?

Haha! Crossed posts! Cheers Razza. No hurry at all and looks like I have a few avenues to explore first anyhow!
P.S. I'm fortunate enough to currently own 2 MRC Stage 2 cars, so no demo really necessary! ;)

Nick, you're more than welcome to a full scan matey. I'll let you know if I'm ever "back in the hood" as it were, but you're also welcome to pop over one evening after work as your new office is literally a stone's throw away from me now.

Also, it looks like we have a nice little gaggle of S4s in Berkshire on this thread! Maybe we should arrange another VCDS lunch meet :)

Reactions: TechNick and razza1
"back in the hood" :)
Cheers Jay - even more options, thanks!! Lunch meet sounds like a nice idea too (especially as the weather improves), although I'll need to work on the taking a lunch break aspect!