New house - car cleaning drainage

JayA3sline

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all

I've recently moved into a new build type property which is brilliant and have done some little mods to my garage to make my car cleaning experience that much better.
Added a hormann sectional garage door and cut out the rear of the garage to access the back of the garage through my garden. (Previously I had to walk around another property adjacent to me to access my garage - slightly frustrating)
So now I can run the hose through the rear door and once I've re wired the garage I can clean away...
My next issue is because the garage area is compromised of 6 garages (3 garages facing each other with one entrance to them) the only drainage is slightly offset from where water would run down if I was to clean my car. It would probably run down the drive and into the garage opposite me - and if it was the other way around I'm sure if I had snow foam entering my garage or touching my car it would get on my t*ts.
Which leads me to my question:
What are the rules/ regs regarding adding drainage on my space in front of the garage to avoid water going everywhere. I've seen some gulleys that suit my need but I'm sure there will be some legality that will stop me redirecting the water into the drain

Thoughts? Or other ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426976359335322
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426976377276735

In front of the door is no use to me as I'll be cleaning the car on the drive in front of the garage. Ideally I need a grate like a cars length (end of the allocated space) in front of my garage to collect any water from my washing

That's a big grate, would need to see some pics of the area.

Probably best spending to a architect to advise.

I've thought about where you stand with foam, etc in the past so I know where your coming from.

No no perhaps I wasn't clear, the grate isn't a cars length, the grate needs to be a cars length away from the garage, so if a car was parked in front of it I need the grate like at the front of the car.

Nah, has to be something permanent. I don't like faffing around every time I want to do something. I'd like a grate but just don't know the regs and conditions with doing it. The surface drainage is offset so just need to redirect the water somehow.

Build a new drain and fit a soakaway if you have enough ground next to your drive or connect an aco channel and excavate to an existing drain either from rainwater stack or soil stack

I've wet sanded my car so very anal when it comes to minimal or waterless methods. If anything I need to drench each panel to make sure it's well lubricated to avoid any contact with dirt/dust etc from scratching the paint. I do about 4 stages without even touching the car - just cleaned my car first time since living here and as expected my opposites garage was infested with snow foam/ water/ soap etc. even worse when you see him and see the look on his face - not happy! Need a gully!

Reactions: scotty76
Totally understand but as a fellow OCDer I can say I was amazed at what you could do if you're careful. Good luck with the drainage!

have you taken photos of the car park areas and can put them on here please

Reactions: Allan DTi