NEW ITG 'Quiet' Intake for the S3

Spin140

Reaction score
Several members on here expressed their interest in an intake kit that would provide the performance gains but without all of the noise of the open systems, I guess in the main due to using vehicles for work/business use or purely because their other halves simply don't find having both Darth Vader and an antiquated toilet cistern under the bonnet acceptable !
I have to say at this point that in the early days when I had my first intake kit fitted I too fell into this camp but very quickly converted and began to really enjoy the sound which in my opinion adds a real character to the TFSI experience.

Identifying both a marketing/development opportunity for ITG plus a potential discount for me I gave them a call and have been in discussion regarding the above requirement, this was made easy for me as I already enjoy a great relationship with them as they used my TTS to develop an enclosed kit, and since then have fitted kits to every VAG model I have owned.

It seems luck was on my side as ITG were already considering possibilities following customer feedback etc so my car was offered up as the development vehicle.

ITG have now completed the initial development stage and the new product is expected to be available in around 4 weeks time, prices have yet to be confirmed but as this new option utilises some of the more expensive parts of existing kits the price point is expected to be in the region of £400 +.

The final kit will comprise of less parts than pictured below as the Spinner section (trumpet) will be model specific and the length extended by 200mm negating the need for a joining hose seen below, the other part that will be both improved from below and also model specific is the bracket that attaches to the 'Slam Panel' which on the prototype is a modified ED30 item.

Initial Thoughts

Performance
I am completely shocked to report that my stage 1 car drives very differently to how it did with the oem filter inplace, I expected some small gains in the upper reaches of the rev band but am pleased to report the car's pick up is much improved and throttle responses feel faster, above 6k where the car began to run out of steam it now feels awesome - if looking for an analogy not quite " just like a remap.." but very good indeed for the outlay.

Over the course of this week the car has adapted and feels very brisk.

The filter utilised is conservatively officially rated to 350bhp so will suit Stage 2 + requirements, many tuners claim 370 + for this state of tune but my own experience has proven that 340 - 345 is the average on the more accurate dyno's.

If your own car exceeds this threshold, again not an issue as the ECU will adapt as per OEM and amend the boost being requested.

*NB. I am planning to visit Revo within the next couple of weeks to have some logging done as part of the development.

Noise
This is the most surprising thing of all, I would estimate that the intake noise has increased by no more than 10% over stock but equally it now has a very pleasant noise differential, essentially this will no doubt be noticed by the discerning owner but not by any of your passengers to whom everything will appear business as usual.

Fitment
The kit utilises the majority of the parts from the original kit ITG offer until approaching the oem ram air intake where the open filter has been replaced by an enclosed filter in one of ITG's famed Spinner containers, fitting is DIY with just a minor adjustment required on one of the vacuum pipes - this will be well detailed in the fitting instructions supplied by ITG.

The engine cover still has to be removed as per all other kits but the TTS cover will still fit for those who dislike a naked engine bay therefore retaining a stealth like and OEM appearance under the hood.

I'll post an update once I've returned to ITG for a final fitment and wash up of findings and also let you all know when the kit is likely to be on general sale.

ITGIntake003.jpg

ITGIntake004.jpg

ITGIntake005.jpg

Summary

If you are looking for a quiet kit that will still provide the performance gains required to work in collaboration with the hardware and software then this offering from ITG will be unique, there is a kit available from Dibilas but reportedly this is more of an expensive compromise than a pheasible option, not my opinion just one I have read and heard so jury is out on this one - however I will concurr it's pretty attractive aesthetically.:)
This kit is likely to be slightly more expensive than some of the Open kits but for some the retained refinement more than compensates for this outlay, I'm moving to stage 2+ very shortly so will post an update when relevant, thanks for looking and I hope it will be of some benefit...

Last edited:
Reactions: klik, Paullie, lil_coz and 1 other person
Is this not pretty much identical to the pipercross venom intake?

Is this not pretty much identical to the pipercross venom intake?

It could well look very similar but not having seen or considered the Pipercross Kit my conclusion would be that the important thing to remember with ITG is the patent on Moxagen filtration. This has been proven to be far more efficient than any other comparative, its a well known saying on various forums that ITG is for 'performance' rather than aesthetics, having said that this kit looks pretty good in reality and the diameters of all pipework are proven to give the required increased air flow etc.

Whilst in development ITG went into great detail about both shape and size of pipework but I have to admit it all became a little too technical for my clerical brain :)

All I can report on is what I have experienced and hope that this will be of benefit to other users when selecting a kit for their own cars ..

Looking good. I must say I do enjoy the darth vader noises though....

Me too but beneficial that others can feel the benefits of ITG and stage 2 + :)

I may revert to the open kit after development but in nthe meanime very happy with the performance and refinement - my wife who is normally very observant hasn't noticed any difference !!

Interesting read mate thanks for the info. I have the ITG open kit on our S3 and I love the sound but I guess not everyone wants that as you very well pointed out :)

It is very similar to the kit they have developed for the Golf R that Shark had on display at Autosport.

Interesting read mate thanks for the info. I have the ITG open kit on our S3 and I love the sound but I guess not everyone wants that as you very well pointed out :)

It is very similar to the kit they have developed for the Golf R that Shark had on display at Autosport.

Well spotted, actually shares all the components but will use a different Slam panel adaptor and Spinner (Enclosed Housing).

Nice one Martin, looks great. Now get an S3 cover off the bay, hack it up and hide the ugly bit.

Really interested to see how it settles in, thanks for sharing it!

wonder what's the part number of this kit?

now all you need is this...
en_cover_20t_neu.jpg

Awesome - Neuspeed 2.0T Carbon Engine cover

Several members on here expressed their interest in an intake kit that would provide the performance gains but without all of the noise of the open systems, I guess in the main due to using vehicles for work/business use or purely because their other halves simply don't find having both Darth Vader and an antiquated toilet cistern under the bonnet acceptable !
I have to say at this point that in the early days when I had my first intake kit fitted I too fell into this camp but very quickly converted and began to really enjoy the sound which in my opinion adds a real character to the TFSI experience.

Identifying both a marketing/development opportunity for ITG plus a potential discount for me I gave them a call and have been in discussion regarding the above requirement, this was made easy for me as I already enjoy a great relationship with them as they used my TTS to develop an enclosed kit, and since then have fitted kits to every VAG model I have owned.

It seems luck was on my side as ITG were already considering possibilities following customer feedback etc so my car was offered up as the development vehicle.

ITG have now completed the initial development stage and the new product is expected to be available in around 4 weeks time, prices have yet to be confirmed but as this new option utilises some of the more expensive parts of existing kits the price point is expected to be in the region of £400 +.

The final kit will comprise of less parts than pictured below as the Spinner section (trumpet) will be model specific and the length extended by 200mm negating the need for a joining hose seen below, the other part that will be both improved from below and also model specific is the bracket that attaches to the 'Slam Panel' which on the prototype is a modified ED30 item.

Initial Thoughts

Performance
I am completely shocked to report that my stage 1 car drives very differently to how it did with the oem filter inplace, I expected some small gains in the upper reaches of the rev band but am pleased to report the car's pick up is much improved and throttle responses feel faster, above 6k where the car began to run out of steam it now feels awesome - if looking for an analogy not quite " just like a remap.." but very good indeed for the outlay.

Over the course of this week the car has adapted and feels very brisk.

The filter utilised is conservatively officially rated to 350bhp so will suit Stage 2 + requirements, many tuners claim 370 + for this state of tune but my own experience has proven that 340 - 345 is the average on the more accurate dyno's.

If your own car exceeds this threshold, again not an issue as the ECU will adapt as per OEM and amend the boost being requested.

*NB. I am planning to visit Revo within the next couple of weeks to have some logging done as part of the development.

Noise
This is the most surprising thing of all, I would estimate that the intake noise has increased by no more than 10% over stock but equally it now has a very pleasant noise differential, essentially this will no doubt be noticed by the discerning owner but not by any of your passengers to whom everything will appear business as usual.

Fitment
The kit utilises the majority of the parts from the original kit ITG offer until approaching the oem ram air intake where the open filter has been replaced by an enclosed filter in one of ITG's famed Spinner containers, fitting is DIY with just a minor adjustment required on one of the vacuum pipes - this will be well detailed in the fitting instructions supplied by ITG.

The engine cover still has to be removed as per all other kits but the TTS cover will still fit for those who dislike a naked engine bay therefore retaining a stealth like and OEM appearance under the hood.

I'll post an update once I've returned to ITG for a final fitment and wash up of findings and also let you all know when the kit is likely to be on general sale.

ITGIntake003.jpg

ITGIntake004.jpg

ITGIntake005.jpg

Summary

If you are looking for a quiet kit that will still provide the performance gains required to work in collaboration with the hardware and software then this offering from ITG will be unique, there is a kit available from Dibilas but reportedly this is more of an expensive compromise than a pheasible option, not my opinion just one I have read and heard so jury is out on this one - however I will concurr it's pretty attractive aesthetically.:)
This kit is likely to be slightly more expensive than some of the Open kits but for some the retained refinement more than compensates for this outlay, I'm moving to stage 2+ very shortly so will post an update when relevant, thanks for looking and I hope it will be of some benefit...

And sort your oil cap out; I'm sure you can take it apart and sort the 90 degree adjustment!

While I understand some people might think the current ITG is too loud, I think Its the best thing about it! Sounds awesome!! :)

Very interested in this , are they avaliable yet??