New member/2.0 tfsi ccza engine code

Joody1

Reaction score
Hi guys new member here! Was just wondering if anyone could help me out, this is my first audi and only second car, so all new to this. Just looking for any possible issues with the 2.0 tfsi ccza engine and what to look out for. Also if anyone has any ideas of mods i can do to it that would be great. Shes a a3 8p s line sportback black edition from 2009. Thanks in advance

Reactions: JSB89
Welcome to the forum.
So you are running the engine commonly found in the Golf GTi Mk 6. Some benefits and also some negatives. No fuel pump cam follower to change and also no cambelt change either.
However, the cam chain used instead can cause a problem if the tensioner fails. It’s worth seeing if this has been changed to the latest revision which is fine. Some people have this done as a precaution as having this done is cheaper than the consequences of failure. Make sure you are using the best quality oil and change it regularly to minimise tensioner problems. Have the PCV system checked as a failure can cause the crank shaft oil seal to leak!

Other than these things, all the tuning up modifications, recaps etc can be applied as to other turbo VAG cars. However, it is worth checking if the tuner of your choice can unlock the ecu on your car. Some tuners cannot do it. My son has a TT with a similar engine and unfortunately RTech could not remap it . However, he has APR software instead and is very pleased with the gains.
Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: JSB89 and Joody1
Welcome to the forum.
So you are running the engine commonly found in the Golf GTi Mk 6. Some benefits and also some negatives. No fuel pump cam follower to change and also no cambelt change either.
However, the cam chain used instead can cause a problem if the tensioner fails. It’s worth seeing if this has been changed to the latest revision which is fine. Some people have this done as a precaution as having this done is cheaper than the consequences of failure. Make sure you are using the best quality oil and change it regularly to minimise tensioner problems. Have the PCV system checked as a failure can cause the crank shaft oil seal to leak!

Other than these things, all the tuning up modifications, recaps etc can be applied as to other turbo VAG cars. However, it is worth checking if the tuner of your choice can unlock the ecu on your car. Some tuners cannot do it. My son has a TT with a similar engine and unfortunately RTech could not remap it . However, he has APR software instead and is very pleased with the gains.
Enjoy your new car!
Thanks for the reply! I was speaking with Rtech just now actually and they said that they can do it and should look at about 250hp at stage 1 so would be happy with that. Will look into the cam chain tensioner see if that has been replaced. I dont think it has and the car is on 58k should it be replaced any time soon? Bit weird how audi advertise it as a tfsi when its a tsi not sure what thats about but oh well

There is no set time period for the tensioner to be replaced.
The tensioner works on oil pressure and if the oil drains away in the early ones, (Don’t know how or why this happens) there is no tension on the chain so it is slack. This causes the chain to jump teeth on the sprockets and so, essentially the same as a cambelt snapping happens and parts of the engine collide causing big damage.
I read somewhere that it is possible to take some cover off so you can see the tensioner and it is possible to identify if yours has been changed.
You need to do some research on this and if you are going to RTech anyway you could ask them if they can change it if you still have an original. They are very knowledgeable about the mechanical side of things in addition to remapping.

Reactions: Joody1
There is no set time period for the tensioner to be replaced.
The tensioner works on oil pressure and if the oil drains away in the early ones, (Don’t know how or why this happens) there is no tension on the chain so it is slack. This causes the chain to jump teeth on the sprockets and so, essentially the same as a cambelt snapping happens and parts of the engine collide causing big damage.
I read somewhere that it is possible to take some cover off so you can see the tensioner and it is possible to identify if yours has been changed.
You need to do some research on this and if you are going to RTech anyway you could ask them if they can change it if you still have an original. They are very knowledgeable about the mechanical side of things in addition to remapping.
Cheers mate will look into it more. Thanks for the help

Cheers mate will look into it more. Thanks for the help
I have a A32010 CCZA engine. No real problems except the chain tensioner as previously mentioned. Just have it changed and the chain checked for stretch, some have done this. I had the whole chain and tensioner set changed last year, just for peace of mind but if you’re on a budget just the tensioner will do unless the chain has been checked correctly, sure Rtech will give you the best advice.
At the same time I had a stage 1 remap, well pleased with that, it’s Now 249 bhp. Hope you have a Quattro to put the power down. Be prepared to start renewing coil packS soon after as mine gradually died within weeks, use the Bosch version as Delphi’s started to give up only a few days after the remap. The R8 red coil packs are supposed to be reliable as well but not been tried by myself.
All the work was done by AMD Technik at West Thurrock and to give you an idea of costs-
Complete chain kit/tensioner & oil change £850 fitted.
4 Bosch coil packs from eBay £80
APR custom remap stage 1 £399
I did get a big discount for having all this done at the same time which helped.

Reactions: JSB89
I was talking to my son about this yesterday and he reminded me that he latest tensioner have a ratchet component in the tensioner in that once the tensioner has been “pushed out” by the oil pressure it cannot retract causing the chain to jump the sprockets.

Hi guys, I've been reading all these threads on the CCZA tensioner with a lot of interest because mine went and now I'm looking at £2700 to fix it! So the info on here is brilliant - especially that detail about the new tensioner having a ratchet that doesn't go back in if the oil pressure drops. So thanks to prt57 and his son for that :)

Before I go spending all that money though, I wanted to try and get a few answers to some important things.

So does anyone know what the part number for the new tensioner is? And also what the part number for the dodgy tensioner is, so I know what to avoid?
What's the PCV system?
And most importantly to me, does anyone know of anyone who's been in my position, i.e. had the new tensioner fitted after blowing an engine, so can confirm it works fine? This would be awesome to know.

Thanks for any help.

So what about your cylinder head? Are the valves bent, pistons damaged, valve guides damaged. I’m not sure about a ratcheted tensioner, never heard of that.

So what about your cylinder head? Are the valves bent, pistons damaged, valve guides damaged. I’m not sure about a ratcheted tensioner, never heard of that.
There's a post from prt57 just above there:

"I was talking to my son about this yesterday and he reminded me that he latest tensioner have a ratchet component in the tensioner in that once the tensioner has been “pushed out” by the oil pressure it cannot retract causing the chain to jump the sprockets."

No piston damage, but head needs 8 exhaust valves, exhaust camshaft, some rockers arms, a spool valve and spool solenoid. Then I'm presuming the £2700 includes a new tensioner and chain as well. The guy said that the exhaust camshaft is a main dealer part so more expensive, but I haven't got individual prices on things yet.

Can you help with the questions at all?

I don’t know any part numbers but if you source them from a reliable parts supplier, such as Audi or TPS, they will be the latest revisions. Trying to buy them cheap from EBay is not where I would buy them. Your chosen repairer should tell you where he buys his parts.

I don’t know any part numbers but if you source them from a reliable parts supplier, such as Audi or TPS, they will be the latest revisions. Trying to buy them cheap from EBay is not where I would buy them. Your chosen repairer should tell you where he buys his parts.
Okey doke - thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your new car!
Hi mate, can you tell me what the PCV system is please? (Is it Pressure Control Valve or something?) And what it's for? My chain tensioner has gone so as I'm looking at spending a lot of money to fix the engine, I may as well get everything done at same time. Cheers.

Best thing to do would be to type into Google Golf Mk 6 GTi PCV and it will take you to a few YouTube videos that will explain for you.

Reactions: johnnynewshoes