NEW MEMBER (HELLO) problems with car locking itself

cream2cream

Reaction score
hello, got a a3 sport diesel o3reg car keeps locking itself, had to call aa man out, anyone had this problem?

driver door and sometimes the light dont work when u open door?

advice would b much appreciated

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a problem with the door latch mech to me. If you have it scanned for faults, it should show the problem. If the door latches are the same as the golfs, the micro switches become sticky. Not sure how you overcome it with out a new mech

Sounds like the switch thats in the door latch mechanism... common problem normally requiring the latch to be replaced as its integral or if you are feeling brave then there are guides on the web to swap the micro switch out...

Reason it locks is the alarm is designed to rearm/lock doors if you unlock the doors but don't open them... this happens a lot when I open the boot on mine as the switch sometimes doesn't work on that too..

<tuffty/>

could probably change the latch, how much should i be paying? is it best buyin new from the main dealers or 2nd hand? last time i went to dealer got stung to the tune of approx £600 for one alloy wheel and tyre!!!

thankyou

Not cheap IIRC... best bet is to give your local dealer a call to baseline it... you may pick one up on ebay (never looked tbh) but don't be tempted to buy second hand... its that common that they will all do it eventually...

Like I said, there are a few guides kicking about on the web as I have looked into this myself to swap the microswitch out with one from Maplins... tricky to do but a cheaper alternative..

<tuffty/>

ok thanks for the advice, i think might go the microswitch way as dont paln to sell the car for 1-2 yrs

thanks

oh, think i'ii have to give this a miss and buy a new one

thanks

Have you tried unlocking the car and then opening one of the other doors to see if it still locks itself?