New Member New Car

scotaudiavantman

Reaction score
Hello peoples,

Very excited as I have just ordered a brand new car for the first time in my life. Looking for comments on spec, discount and tax.

Just spoke to my broker who says we should get it delivered and registered for late march. I really hope I make this because as of the 1st of april we have a new tax regime in the UK. This would up my tax from around 100 pounds a year to 400!

So one thing I am not so sure about is suspension. Should I tick comfort as it is an sline and I live in the country? Roads are mostly ok but sometimes have to park up in a ditch to let people past/floods etc. Thoughts?

Spec:

A2FTGU3B

Your A4 Avant

S line 3.0 218 TDI quattro S tronic 1

• Basic price
  • 38,295.00 GBP
  • Optional equipment
  • 6,270.00 GBP

On the road price 45,250

My Price discounted: 37,020

Daytona grey

Light and vision pack

Tech pack

Privacy glass

Heated front seats

B&O sound system

Driver assistance pack – tour

Rear view camera

Reactions: Jcbmally
Welcome to the A4 owners club, and a nice spec. I find the standard sports suspension is more compliant than it was on my A3 and the ride isn't harsh. But you might need to try it out for yourself..

How much more is the parking pack versus just adding rear camera?

Hey, thanks.
Pretty much my dream car but the avant bit helped with selling it to my missus :)
We live in the country but the roads are actually very good for UK average so hardly a reason to get SUV. I just wonder if sports suspension might be a bit low for ditches and flooding.

I did test drive an sline 218 quattro saloon and didnt think it was harsh at all. I even took it over some gravel.

My usual car is an A3 SE 2013 which is also fine but no better I wouldnt say.

New How much more is the parking pack versus just adding rear camera?

Hmm think its like 450 vs 1000. Not insiginificant. Its one of the things I added at the end and was not 100% on.

Hello peoples,

Very excited as I have just ordered a brand new car for the first time in my life. Looking for comments on spec, discount and tax.

Just spoke to my broker who says we should get it delivered and registered for late march. I really hope I make this because as of the 1st of april we have a new tax regime in the UK. This would up my tax from around 100 pounds a year to 400!

So one thing I am not so sure about is suspension. Should I tick comfort as it is an sline and I live in the country? Roads are mostly ok but sometimes have to park up in a ditch to let people past/floods etc. Thoughts?

Spec:

A2FTGU3B

Your A4 Avant

• Basic price
  • 38,295.00 GBP
  • Optional equipment
  • 6,270.00 GBP

On the road price 45,250

Daytona grey

Light and vision pack

Tech pack

Privacy glass

Heated front seats

B&O sound system

Rear view camera

Welcome to audi-sport.net Nice spec. the wait begins now. Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for welcome.

Waiting is going to be painful!

Really happy with my discount btw. Carwow couldnt even manage to beat it and they were the ones giving best price on other cars I considered.

Apparantly the dealership taking a loss to meet end of year quota on this one. 18.2% vs 15.2

Reactions: Sandra
I have adaptive sports suspension, I find that for most normal use the comfort setting is perfect however, on windy B roads I switch to Dynamic and the cornering is much improved. Its therefore depends on how you intend to use it, if its mostly motorways and A roads then Comfort is fine but if you want good handling on B roads you will want the sports.

Ugh couldnt quite stretch to dynamic sports but really wanted it.

My commute actually has a combination of A roads, B roads and grinding traffic. I think i might just leave with sport suspension as I found it fine on test drive.

Nice spec and great discount. I have very similar car which I picked up in September.

Don't forget to ask for the (free) larger 24L Ad Blue tank (one thing I forgot). I'd also suggest Hill-hold Assist as its a cheap option.

As I plan to keep mine for a long time I ended up throwing the kitchen sink at it, options wise to prevent any later buyers remorse. Of these options that are not on your list I guess I would miss most the HUD and folding mirrors, but could not say that they are good value.

I'd also suggest you get the delivery date written in to the contract if possible so you avoid the huge step up in tax in April.

Hey dts,

I myself will probably trade in after 4 year pcp so we have different priorities

I know hill start is cheap but maybe I don't get it. It's a button same as handbrake so I don't get why better? Just smoother?

I would like folding mirrors, the 900 pound parking pack and the adaptive sport suspension. Thing is, I'm totally st my limit.

One idea I can't shake is to give up the stereo and use that to fund mirrors and the better parking, for another 450 it offers a lot over just a reversing cam.

I saw another thread here and other places that say b&o not worth the money but my avant might get better woofer some say....

Anyway, my driver assistance pack is probably the one I did go over the top with but I just find the tech fascinating. Can't resist.

Hill Hold is very very useful. It works so simply. Brake to a stop, hold foot on brake for a second until light on dash goes green. You are then held on the brakes on all 4 wheels until you accelerate away. You don't have to sit with your foot on the brakes at junctions and traffic lights or have to press a button to put the handbrake on. I never now use the hand brake unless I am parked up on a steep hill.

B&O is very good in my Avant but not cheap.

A lot of the options are overpriced in my view but I do find the technology in this car very very good and worth paying for.

wow, really? That sounds just like the merc and is fantastic.

In Audi configurator it uses the words under "your benefits"

"activated conveniently at the press of a button"

This is wrong then?If so I still have time for last min change!!

btw thanks for the free additional fuel tank tip - very useful.

Saw another topic on hill assist which seems to confirm the UK official description has errors - you dont need a button - just the break!

Contacting my broker. Still not 100% whether to tick comfort suspension which is playing on my mind a bit.

There is a button but you only use it to enable or disable it, not in daily use.

I have adaptive but I tend to be in Comfort most of the time, Sport is ok but it is firm.
I would have great difficulty choosing if I could only have one as I would miss the sport mode but don't use it that much.

I see. The description is a bit off I would say.

Its funny because this is the one thing I thought I would miss when I went from chosing a c class to the A4. I love the lazyness of just using the break to hold.

The only way I could go to adaptive is to give up the b&o stereo which I cant quite bring myself to do. Think I am just going to go with comfort as it is what I will want 90% of the time, even though I have a lovely set of windy roads at the end of my commute and near my house ...

I'm no expert on b&o but the stock stereo on a S line is actually rather good. Have you tried one to see if you could live with it?

On the suspension if you've got a tight budget I'd either go for delete S line suspension or stick with the stock sport suspension.

I've got adaptive comfort and it's brilliant but I like a cosseting ride!

I never use hill hold unless on a very steep slope. When activated it slows the car down when pulling away, rather annoying when you don't really need it. For £75 you may as well have it.

The one option I don't have but would like is the rear camera. I'm finding the avant tricky to park as it feels quite a big car when manoeuvring in tight spots. Might just be my ineptitude!

Stock system was fine - i did listen to it but thought b&o would be much much better. This is the one option im still not sure about. I could swap for either adaptive suspension or upgraded parking package + folding wing mirrors. Seems very tempting.

I did tick camera for the missus but I will probably find it useful too if im honest.

Hill hold has been added, as has the fuel tank.

Hey dts,

I myself will probably trade in after 4 year pcp so we have different priorities

I know hill start is cheap but maybe I don't get it. It's a button same as handbrake so I don't get why better? Just smoother?

I would like folding mirrors, the 900 pound parking pack and the adaptive sport suspension. Thing is, I'm totally st my limit.

One idea I can't shake is to give up the stereo and use that to fund mirrors and the better parking, for another 450 it offers a lot over just a reversing cam.

I saw another thread here and other places that say b&o not worth the money but my avant might get better woofer some say....

Anyway, my driver assistance pack is probably the one I did go over the top with but I just find the tech fascinating. Can't resist.

I am a terrible option ticker (£10K on my S4) but...

As you say, the parking assistance pack is fantastic value, £450 for just the reversing camera, or another £450 to include four (360 degree) cameras and the parking assistance. Having got used to 270 degree cameras on my BMW, probably the feature I would miss the most, it was one of the first things I looked for. It only has to save one little scrape to pretty much pay for itself. If you keep the car 4 years, that's about £111 per year, or £2 a week!

I actually went for the Advanced pack, as I wanted the Side Assist and Cross Traffic Assist Rear, but this is MUCH harder to justify, especially if you are pushing your budget already.

The second option I went for is the adaptive suspension. Once you appreciate how this works it really is easy choice. You can't compare the comfort setting on adaptive with comfort suspension, or the sport setting with sport setting. The adaptive is always working, allowing more compliance on rough roads but stiffening up the damping when cornering or driving enthusiastically. This is a real have your cake and eat it too option. I notice on your car the adaptive suspension is only £600, on my S4 it is £900 (Adaptive S Sport suspension)! I see for the £600 you can choose the Adaptive comfort suspension or the adaptive sport suspension to keep the 20mm lower stance.

The stereo is a bit harder to cost justify, unless you really are a music freak and listen to music all the time while driving. I mostly have the radio on, and in fact often nowadays play podcasts of Today or the Now Show, so high fidelity is not that important to me, but as I said, I'm a sucker for wasting money on options, so went for it anyway! I'm also planning on keeping the car 4 years (went for the 4 year warranty), and was concerned not to spoil a £50K car for £2K of options.

As others have said, the 24 litre AdBlue tank is a free option, the only penalty a little extra weight I guess.

I'm not a great fan of the privacy glass, but the quieter acoustic glass in the front was attractive. If the car is quieter, you may be able to hear the benefit of the fancy stereo better! :whistle2:

You are spot on with the driver assistance pack, the adaptive cruise and active steering is something I am looking forward to playing with. Having used adaptive cruise on a test ride, going back to ordinary cruise is a pain, and I like the fact that it will brake to avoid shunting in the car in front, not that I have ever done that, but a couple of times I've had that last minute heart-in-mouth moment. I would say, if you do a lot of miles, especially busy motorway miles, adaptive cruise will be a blessing.

I'm afraid modern cars just have too many options, even though they have made many previous options standard, they just keep coming up with more...

The A4/S4 is actually a well specified car as standard!

Geoff

gbrown,

You are like the little devil on my shoulder here. What you say on the parking pack makes so much sense .... 450 for just a camera seems pretty annoying when merc and BMW/lexus give for free. 900 for the full whack is less so ....

privacy glass is very pimpish I know but what can I say, i just like the look next to that daytona grey. The sound thing isnt such a big deal on this car, especially with the silky smooth 3ltr v6. That thing sounded quieter even than any petrol I swear.

Reactions: gbrown
The one option I don't have but would like is the rear camera. I'm finding the avant tricky to park as it feels quite a big car when manoeuvring in tight spots. Might just be my ineptitude!

It is a very long car, but thankfully not too wide!

Giving how poor I have become at parallel parking I need all the help I can get for such a long car!

ok, I think its a sign as this keeps my price just how it was.

- b&o 750
- rear view camera 450
+ parking assistance 900
+ foldable door mirrors (you have to take this) 225
+ hill hold 75

I think this makes sense. My car has 18 inch wheels so I am sure ill be ok with the sports suspension. I was fine on test drive!!

Now that's my kind of "Man Maths"

hah and how do you know I am a man ... ?

Who am I kidding, what women would tick so many of these insanely priced options. She would tick "parking assistance pack" and then bought a new bathroom, an investment or something else ridiculous :p

"
The one option I don't have but would like is the rear camera. I'm finding the avant tricky to park as it feels quite a big car when manoeuvring in tight spots. Might just be my ineptitude!"

I think avant same length as saloon and probably easier as at least the rear window is where the rear is?

Still, im not the best parker either and am used to the much smaller A3. A part of me want to untick all parking aids and just get adaptive sports suspension but I am sure this was a good move. i have to be less selfish too and appriciate my missus isnt so keen on this bigger car. She would rather go smaller if it were up to her.

The parking stuff you basically use every time you use the car. The suspension is fine IMO in either config. I've tried both.

I chose to get the closest spec I could on a pre-built (but still in Germany) model so couldnt add/remove a couple of things I'd have liked. The blind spot indicator thing is probably the one item I miss most from old car.

i found sline fine too tbh in default sport suspension. I also did try it with 3 ltr engine so extra weight didnt seem a problem. I suspect it might be more so with 19's. They say wheels are the biggest factor on harsh ride. I am guessing many of the reviewers who claim ride is rubish had these.

I think giving up the stereo is easier because I have baby on the way which is part of reason for uprade from a3 3 door. We are hardly going to listen on high volume these days and most say b&o really needs to be pumped up to notice the improvement.

Parking assist, hill assist and folding mirrors all appeal to the techy/flashy side and I am sure I wont regret it.

Yes, final answer. No more tinkering.

PS anyone know if you can use rear camera through virtual cockpit?

No, through the main MMI screen only.

It over rides anything on there (inc CarPLay)

Shame. It does on audi TT i read but then it has to (no seperate MMI).

Imagine it would be even cooler from there

Hello peoples,

Spec:

A2FTGU3B

Your A4 Avant

• Basic price
  • 38,295.00 GBP
  • Optional equipment
  • 6,270.00 GBP

On the road price 45,250

Daytona grey

Light and vision pack

Tech pack

Privacy glass

Heated front seats

B&O sound system

Rear view camera

Hi,

I ordered a very similar car to yours. My spec is AKT4T4ED.

I also had a dilemma whether to add the B&O system or not but in the end decided not to as I have the stock sound system on my current A3 Sportback S Line and it's very good for me. I've been told that the B&O is worth going for if you listen to music very loudly which I never do, especially when missus and kids are around..

Due to budget constraints, I (regretfully) didn't go for all the tech pack and virtual cockpit types but on the other hand some people are saying that if you have the virtual cockpit then the second MMI screen becomes almost redundant and irrelevant, which sounds to be not very practical.

From your spec configuration I liked the parking assist stuff. For some reason I didn't really consider all of this when placing my order but do now. Especially given my missus is useless at parking (she's already put a dent on the A3 trying to park).
So I'm contacting my dealer now to ask if I can still include this option, either the parking assist pack (preferable) or the rear-view camera.

Just wanted to ask anyone who knows this: if I don't have the tech pack included, can I still add the parking Assist Pack (£900) or not? If not, then I might just have to go for the rear view camera.

Another question is the AdBlue tank - I didn't spec the larger tank. Is it really worth going for the larger one? How often do you have to fill it up? Never used this before (sorry if I'm being dumb!) as I don't think my A3 has it.

I placed my order on the 15th November and yourAudi is showing a build week of 16th Jan and the dealer is expecting a late Feb-early March delivery.

If it is any help just be aware that adblue has a shelf life of two years from the date of production. If you store it then that might become an issue but even with the larger tanks I would hope it would be topped enough for it not too...

Don't think I understand this adblue I ordered. Thought it just meant I could carry more fuel?

Finalising deal tomorow unless I go mad and buy the glc instead lol

Not sure I would spec one of these without the tech pack and VC personally....

Don't think I understand this adblue I ordered. Thought it just meant I could carry more fuel?

The Adblue tank is used to keep down the diesel emissions and gets used as part of the combustion process. 12 Litres is the standard size and 24 Litres is a free option. Each tank is normally only half filled by the factory (I asked my dealer to top up my 12 litre tank). Consumption is something around 5-6000 miles per 10 litres and I think you get warned at 2000 miles to go.

So by ordering the larger adblue tank you can go longer before you need to refill it (only penalty carrying around the extra weight, so 12 kg when full). Dealers will probably refill it for you at service time it you ask, else you can either buy a kit or find a garage that has an adblue pump.

The Adblue tank is used to keep down the diesel emissions and gets used as part of the combustion process. 12 Litres is the standard size and 24 Litres is a free option. Each tank is normally only half filled by the factory (I asked my dealer to top up my 12 litre tank). Consumption is something around 5-6000 miles per 10 litres and I think you get warned at 2000 miles to go.

So by ordering the larger adblue tank you can go longer before you need to refill it (only penalty carrying around the extra weight, so 12 kg when full). Dealers will probably refill it for you at service time it you ask, else you can either buy a kit or find a garage that has an adblue pump.
Or you could buy a petrol car!

Or you could buy a petrol car!
And miss out on all of that lovely low rev grunt modern diesel engines possess?

I considered a petrol, but in the end the lack of torque wasn't for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ugh I think a am neurotic.

Can people help my worrying and confirm

1 a4 avant has standard electric tailgate you can operate remotely with key

2 light and vision pack includes virtual cockpit, multi light led ambient lighting and adaptive headlights that dip for traffic

3 s line gets 10 speaker system upgrade

4 sline suspension on 18 inch wheels isn't going to shatter my child's spine ...

1) yes
2) not sure without looking at the brochure or website
3) it's apparently a better sound system versus standard. Not amazing though. Be interested to know where the ten speakers are
4) it's harder than the standard suspension but nothing too bad. Spine shattering definitely not. TBH I prefer the harder ride as there's more involvement. Passengers never comment so must be okay.

1) you can open with the key but not close it.

There's not much difference between the torque and the way it's delivered these days, my 1.4 petrol engine developed the same as the 1.6 diesel, and at the same rpm, but have more power and averaged 44mpg around town. There are argument for and against the dying out diesel's but torque in modern petrol engine technology isn't
And miss out on all of that lovely low rev grunt modern diesel engines possess?

I considered a petrol, but in the end the lack of torque wasn't for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately that was destroyed when vag released a 1.4 petrol engine that had the same torque as a 1.6 diesel with more power and almost as good mpg. It also didn't rattle, vibrate, smell or have to perform regens on regular periods. Diesels will disappear in our future as they will be banned for what they are and when petrol engines get variable compression who knows, they might be even better than the diesels they will replace..

Reactions: Kestrel