New order - help me make a classy (under)statement - Exclusive colour content

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I'm close to ordering a new A3 Sportback and could do with some help on spec.

This would actually be my fifth A3 - I've had four used ones before - so it's safe to say I like the model. I picked up my current 2014 one last year and I'm happy with it, but it's now seven years old and I thought I'd get an order in given that lead times seem so long.

I ticked over the 40-year birthday threshold last autumn and so I was thinking about a new motor to mark the occasion. With the milestone and my car history you'd think I should look at an S3 or similar - but I've been really happy with my modest 1.4 TFSI Sport and it fits our family needs well. I'm also not fond of darkened windows, black trim, polished alloys etc... I guess this is what turning into an old man is like! :friendly wink:

So, I'm looking to make a really classy (under)statement with this spec. Unfortunately the UK options are quite limited compared to other markets and it seems that's not going to change, so within those constraints the spec I'm thinking of is:

- Sport trim
- 1.5 TFSI with S-Tronic 'box
- Audi Exclusive colour
- 17" multi-spoke alloys
- LED matrix headlamps (?)
- Steel grey interior; i.e. the lighter colour
- Comfort & Sound pack (B&O sound, heated seats, rear camera, parking assist)
- Flat bottom steering wheel
- Storage & luggage pack
- Rear airbags
- Model and engine spec de-badge

In terms of colour, my personal view is that a rich metallic and light leather interior works well for a timeless look. I was unsure whether I'm limited to the current Audi Exclusive range, or whether I can have any Audi colour? If the former, I'm thinking of:

cols.png

Other favourites include: Seville Red, Cumulus Blue, Tealite Blue, Morning Dew and Alpine Green. These are either not pictured on the audi.de configurator or aren't current Audi Exclusive colours. None look very good on screen and there's obviously an element of risk.

Finally, I'm trying my current dealer for a price. I'm not having a good experience with the brokers at the moment - although there are some superficially good discounts on offer, these must be for stock cars because some of them won't even quote me! Does anyone have a guide of what to expect on price?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv

This would actually be my fifth A3 - I've had four used ones before - so it's safe to say I like the model. I picked up my current 2014 one last year and I'm happy with it, but it's now seven years old and I thought I'd get an order in given that lead times seem so long.

I ticked over the 40-year birthday threshold last autumn and so I was thinking about a new motor to mark the occasion. With the milestone and my car history you'd think I should look at an S3 or similar - but I've been really happy with my modest 1.4 TFSI Sport and it fits our family needs well. I'm also not fond of darkened windows, black trim, polished alloys etc... I guess this is what turning into an old man is like! :friendly wink:

So, I'm looking to make a really classy (under)statement with this spec. Unfortunately the UK options are quite limited compared to other markets and it seems that's not going to change, so within those constraints the spec I'm thinking of is:

- Sport trim
- Audi Exclusive colour
- 17" multi-spoke alloys
- Storage & luggage pack
- Rear airbags

In terms of colour, my personal view is that a rich metallic and light leather interior works well for a timeless look. I was unsure whether I'm limited to the current Audi Exclusive range, or whether I can have any Audi colour? If the former, I'm thinking of:

cols.png

Other favourites include: Seville Red, Cumulus Blue, Tealite Blue, Morning Dew and Alpine Green. These are either not pictured on the audi.de configurator or aren't current Audi Exclusive colours. None look very good on screen and there's obviously an element of risk.

Finally, I'm trying my current dealer for a price. I'm not having a good experience with the brokers at the moment - although there are some superficially good discounts on offer, these must be for stock cars because some of them won't even quote me! Does anyone have a guide of what to expect on price?

Thanks in advance...
Of the three pictured the Shiraz Red does it for me:icon thumright:

Get a price from drivethedeal.com and then try and find a dealer that will match it. I ended up getting a 31k car down to 26k, it took months of haggling though, but in the end I ended up with a SEAT price Audi.

I would add 19” wheels, the car will look better for it.

good luck with your purchase.

Reactions: RS3 S.

- Sport trim
- Audi Exclusive colour
- 17" multi-spoke alloys
- Storage & luggage pack
- Rear airbags

cols.png

Thanks in advance...
The paint colours you've shown are available right now or have been on previous/current audi models...not being cheeky here you'll not recoup any residual value with an exclusive paint on a sport model...
My opinion exclusive paints only really work if they are bright and bold
If you want low key Audi' mica paints are nice and come to life when sunlight hits them
Anyway on the 8v section there is an old thread named
"Show us all Audi exclusive paint colours" there are a lot of them you just need know where to look
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwDHoECDQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0aYbUmesLlg2JOqPxcaqVf

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, AdamInKent and daytonamart
It's a good point about the value of Exclusive paint on a Sport model. The spec I have in mind is ~£32.6k RRP (without matrix LEDs), meaning it adds ~5% to the cost over a standard metallic. It's still a mid-price A3.

I guess it's a question of what value I place on it. I could go for a higher trim level but they all add darkened windows, sports styling and / or diamond-cut alloys, which I'm not going to benefit from for various reasons.

I should add at this point that it'll be run alongside our family van, which as you can see below is obviously a custom vehicle. We've had this for 5 years and are therefore getting great value from it. I'm hoping that going for a personal colour choice on an A3 would lead to me keeping it for a long enough time that retained value becomes immaterial.

20200721-160734.jpg

Sadly I can't get a configurator to show the colours I like, so Ill add:

morningdew_s5_silver_interior_front_165f06efd55b58147035f0bfaff3a0e038c0b016.jpg

Morning Dew

0ee3535c0195aa48c5ca9d8e3aad3513x_c30e251638662ab72c828f66320bdee75b437e3f.jpg

Alpine Green

IMG_38916-medium.jpg

Tealite Blue

AdQtOQjWuJKEmid-lC0q5esAG4AaSvtWMH3_9IR3EaHFlU26o0ZJsVV1DwBGS6-N4rIgmeaNVgjrdM4M8uVRJBcqMqxUb7KVfDfvuG2Qn69CEXkhIv8T3l1DYCY6v0Sp3xKMXsOpW6OnVA

Seville Red

Last edited:
It's a good point about the value of Exclusive paint on a Sport model. The spec I have in mind is ~£32.6k RRP (without matrix LEDs), meaning it adds ~5% to the cost over a standard metallic. It's still a mid-price A3.

I guess it's a question of what value I place on it. I could go for a higher trim level but they all add darkened windows, sports styling and / or diamond-cut alloys, which I'm not going to benefit from for various reasons.

I should add at this point that it'll be run alongside our family van, which as you can see below is obviously a custom vehicle. We've had this for 5 years and are therefore getting great value from it. I'm hoping that going for a personal colour choice on an A3 would lead to me keeping it for a long enough time that retained value becomes immaterial.

20200721-160734.jpg

Sadly I can't get a configurator to show the colours I like, so Ill add:

morningdew_s5_silver_interior_front_165f06efd55b58147035f0bfaff3a0e038c0b016.jpg

Morning Dew

0ee3535c0195aa48c5ca9d8e3aad3513x_c30e251638662ab72c828f66320bdee75b437e3f.jpg

Alpine Green

IMG_38916-medium.jpg

Tealite Blue

AdQtOQjWuJKEmid-lC0q5esAG4AaSvtWMH3_9IR3EaHFlU26o0ZJsVV1DwBGS6-N4rIgmeaNVgjrdM4M8uVRJBcqMqxUb7KVfDfvuG2Qn69CEXkhIv8T3l1DYCY6v0Sp3xKMXsOpW6OnVA

Seville Red
I have also got to mention car colours have become far more varied across every manufacturer brand now making only the boldest and in your face colour tones rare ergo its more difficult to justify paying £2400 when there are very similar colours in the Audi range.
l was about to go exclusive paint again but by doing so it was adding another 12 weeks on top the 4 months lead time
Your best place to see exclusive paint colours is either on Audi forums like this one or Porsche forums or the likes of pinterest...etc etc
Most Porsche colours are available on Audi models
A Nicely optioned S-line would be my advice perhaps with a panoramic roof etc etc

Reactions: RS3 S., NevMan, pburv and 1 other person
Shiraz red was also available on the 8V. During my time on the road I think I have only seen 1 or 2 so don’t think it was popular in the UK.

Arrow and camouflage weren’t available on the 8V (and don’t know when they were launched so can’t say whether they would have been available under the Audi Exclusive option).

I agree with Jassyo06 that you’ll not get your money back when selling a car with exclusive paint. You may get a token amount but if a desirable colour it would just make it easier to sell.

Reactions: NevMan
Shiraz red was also available on the 8V. During my time on the road I think I have only seen 1 or 2 so don’t think it was popular in the UK.

Arrow and camouflage weren’t available on the 8V (and don’t know when they were launched so can’t say whether they would have been available under the Audi Exclusive option).

I agree with Jassyo06 that you’ll not get your money back when selling a car with exclusive paint. You may get a token amount but if a desirable colour it would just make it easier to sell.
Ok it's not an 8Y but this gives you a better look at Shiraz Red.
8625618926_bdd526b1bd_b.jpg

Reactions: NevMan and JohnM100
Well, for better or worse I've placed an order today for the following:

- A3 Sportback 1.5 TFSI Sport S-Tronic
- Audi Exclusive colour TBC
- 17" multi-spoke alloys
- Matrix LED light package
- Comfort & Sound package
- Leather trim in Steel Grey
- Spare wheel, tool kit & jack
- Storage package

I'm told it should arrive around September or October. The salesman was quite excited because it's his first Exclusive colour order and, in his words, they rarely sell cars that aren't grey, black or white. I told him I felt the weight of responsibility to make a good choice now!

That's because I've still not decided on colour and I now need to do so by the weekend. The concept here is trying to miniaturise a luxury car into a compact size for my needs (city centre living) and, as I say, I am after a really classy understated look. So, it'll be a colour you'd normally see on A7/8s, rather than RS models. Whatever I choose will disappoint someone... but hopefully not me though! :icon thumright:

In terms of price I've just managed to squeak in under £30k with my local dealer, which is ~12% below list and slightly better than most of the brokers were offering. It feels like it's still a mid-price car, albeit one tailored exactly to my needs while still being usefully cheaper than an S3. I know I won't get a bean of the £5,845 options back at trade-in, but this is being bought with a long enough timeframe in mind that it shouldn't matter.

The 7-8 month wait will allow me to get a little bit more value from my current A3 and something to look forward to later this year. :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3 S., NevMan, Jcbmally and 3 others
I'm with you on the greens. I only wondered about how those that could be sold as red, blue etc would at least show up in a future for sale advert filter, whereas noone would look for green!

But, on the other hand, wow - Verdant Green looks lush...

2016-audi-rs7-in-verdant-green-looks-like-a-bentley-photo-gallery_4.jpg

Reactions: RS3 S., NevMan, AdamInKent and 2 others
I'm with you on the greens. I only wondered about how those that could be sold as red, blue etc would at least show up in a future for sale advert filter, whereas noone would look for green!

But, on the other hand, wow - Verdant Green looks lush...

2016-audi-rs7-in-verdant-green-looks-like-a-bentley-photo-gallery_4.jpg
From experience dont get too carried away with the realism of some particular colours in photographs because when seen in the metal they will disappoint and Verdant "bottle" Green is one of them....You've an acquired taste in car colours my friend....Best greens are Java Geen and as @BarryG79 said Sonoma Green by a country mile

Classy and understates is Venetian Violet/purple a true exclusive paint colour that Audi have never tried to cheapen by bringing out a copy of it.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOCGuL352u4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, BarryG79 and 2 others
It takes someone with an acquired taste in colours, to tell someone else that they have an acquired taste in colours... while sending them a link to a very, um, purple car!! :respekt:

I remember doing an internship at a bank and my colleagues constantly poking fun at my colourblind boss for his exteme choice of colour on his Merc!

No decisions made yet and I nearly bottled it earlier today to order one of the standard paints. Here's I hoping I don't end up the butt of jokes like my old bank boss. :highly amused:

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Any colour would be good as long as it isn't 'hearing aid brown':puke2:
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Agree with Jassyo06 that you have to see a colour in the metal, especially for the price of an exclusive colour. Photos rarely capture the reality.

Sepang blue was fantastic (though not understated) before it became a low cost option on ~2015 S3s when everyone had it. Used to see loads but guess the PCPs are over as haven’t seen one for ages, and that was before lockdown.

For understated - Akoya silver? I haven’t yet found a picture online that captures it properly. Think non-glaring silver with a very mild violet tint.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, pburv and 1 other person
Agree with Jassyo06 that you have to see a colour in the metal, especially for the price of an exclusive colour. Photos rarely capture the reality.

Sepang blue was fantastic (though not understated) before it became a low cost option on ~2015 S3s when everyone had it. Used to see loads but guess the PCPs are over as haven’t seen one for ages, and that was before lockdown.

For understated - Akoya silver? I haven’t yet found a picture online that captures it properly. Think non-glaring silver with a very mild violet tint.
Sepang is as rare as hens teeth now....how strange is that

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, pburv and 1 other person
It takes someone with an acquired taste in colours, to tell someone else that they have an acquired taste in colours... while sending them a link to a very, um, purple car!! :respekt:

I remember doing an internship at a bank and my colleagues constantly poking fun at my colourblind boss for his exteme choice of colour on his Merc!

No decisions made yet and I nearly bottled it earlier today to order one of the standard paints. Here's I hoping I don't end up the butt of jokes like my old bank boss. :highly amused:

My son worked at Audi glasgow for 5 years so l got to see a lot of exclusive paint colours on various models he's now at BMW and l still get to see BMW's in their individual paints same thing and Venetian purple looks great on most cars but colour choice is a very personal choice my taste is that brilliant that even Audi themselves tried to copy it....Turbo blue
Here is an example of the same paint colour in different lighting conditions
IMG 7553 Large
Images
and this is what you to keep in mind

Reactions: NevMan, pburv, Jcbmally and 2 others
Surely for most UK people that is a copy of metallic British Racing Green....

Reactions: NevMan, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
^^ I do like Navarra Blue and richer, dark blues are a bit of a default choice for me. Annoyingly, Navarra is a standard metallic option in other markets including Ireland but alas not in the UK.

Palace Blue is my favourite of the day, along with Porsche Gentian Blue.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and pburv
^^ I do like Navarra Blue and richer, dark blues are a bit of a default choice for me. Annoyingly, Navarra is a standard metallic option in other markets including Ireland but alas not in the UK.

Palace Blue is my favourite of the day, along with Porsche Gentian Blue.
San Marino blue????

Reactions: NevMan
San Marino looks really very nice. I had something just a tad darker on a recent Lexus.

All these lovely colours I'm looking at are usually on S, RS or Porsche models. But what I'm trying to do with this car is miniaturise something like an A7 or A8... and I'm not happy with the standard colours on offer for the A3.

I just wanted to picture the sort of concept I have in mind with this car, because I might not have been clear enough about my needs earlier in the thread. (Not necessarily these colours):

787df2e286a74920941e40c138d41998.jpg

142cff69718c4421b4147db6e7ac858a.jpg

This is going to be a town and long distance car; used for taking our kids to activities, visiting relatives and for occasional long-distance business trips across the country. My priorities are therefore a car that is compact, with a high level of comfort. I've learnt expensively that at this stage in my life I don't benefit from performance cars ( yes, I've had a few!) - but I can enjoy something individual and luxurious. :)

Reactions: BarryG79, Jcbmally and pburv
Maybe you should be looking at an A4?.. Possibly a far more comfortable car than the A3 and to be fair not that much bigger.:shrug:

Reactions: josul, JohnM100 and Jassyo06
Java green is beautiful, especially in sunlight but I would say from the colours you mention, its not for you as its not really a classy understated colour.
20210101 143110 copy 3024x2268

Reactions: NevMan, BarryG79, pburv and 2 others
Maybe you should be looking at an A4?.. Possibly a far more comfortable car than the A3 and to be fair not that much bigger.:shrug:

^This

^^ I do like Navarra Blue and richer, dark blues are a bit of a default choice for me. Annoyingly, Navarra is a standard metallic option in other markets including Ireland but alas not in UK.

I hadn’t realised Navarra had been dropped. When clean, it looks good in the sun but a bit flat on cloudy days (and we have a lot of those). It shows dirt very quickly - and yes I have Navarra on my 8V.

Audi know their marketing. Europe got black pack by default on the 8V as people aspired to chrome trim but in UK chrome was default as people preferred black pack. It could be argued that was about increasing option add on sales.....

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, BarryG79, pburv and 1 other person
Navarra hasn't been dropped - it's just not available on the Sport in the UK (but is on S-Line and S3).

I'd like an A4, or more likely A5, but they are a bigger car for sure and not much shorter than our VW Transporter. My wife really didn't like driving our Volvo V60 some years ago because of its size... in fact, I ended up getting her a Clio to run alongside it! She'll drive a Golf / A3, but anything bigger is a no-go.

Reactions: NevMan and pburv
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the above.

I'd like an A4, or more likely A5, but they are a bigger car for sure
A4 is what an inch wider than an A3 and a bit more than a foot the other way. With the kids getting older I am sure they would appreciate the extra space too.

Reactions: pburv
Bear in mind that this is what the parking / driving situation is around where we live...

20200507-195941.jpg

Reactions: NevMan, pburv, josul and 1 other person
I've pressed the button on Palace Blue. You're only allowed to say nice things about it now, because the choice is made. ;)

Seriously though, I've appreciated all the comments and have thought really, really hard about spec and colours. I was prepared to go for something more brave as a result (e.g. I had a moment hovering over a turquoise S3) though I came back to the fact that this is something that's being bought with a 5-10 year time horizon and that the brief is practical, understated luxury above all else.

H4s-IAAAAAAAAAFvzlo-G1t-Ih-BPNon-K7-Es-US8z-Xy84t-Sgz-MSez-Kj-Ep-J9-V63-QXONc-HX33oy-MTBUFDAw-MDAC1.jpg

Reactions: Kayobong, NevMan, JohnM100 and 4 others
I've pressed the button on Palace Blue. You're only allowed to say nice things about it now, because the choice is made. ;)

Seriously though, I've appreciated all the comments and have thought really, really hard about spec and colours. I was prepared to go for something more brave as a result (e.g. I had a moment hovering over a turquoise S3) though I came back to the fact that this is something that's being bought with a 5-10 year time horizon and that the brief is practical, understated luxury above all else.

H4s-IAAAAAAAAAFvzlo-G1t-Ih-BPNon-K7-Es-US8z-Xy84t-Sgz-MSez-Kj-Ep-J9-V63-QXONc-HX33oy-MTBUFDAw-MDAC1.jpg

Palace Blue is a stunning dark colour https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/jassys-s3-rs3-my18-build-thread-with-exclusive-colours.323370/page-8&psig=AOvVaw1gs5tybHHhDlFGVn3Hu1Ba&ust=1613240655516000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJDf6Pb75O4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Reactions: NevMan, The Cardinal and pburv

Nice choice mate. Not many A3's that will have that colour. Just done a quick search and found this pic of an S8 in Palace Blue.
Rfa030d6a8a57f02d504bf6d5a8e3525c

Reactions: NevMan, The Cardinal, BarryG79 and 1 other person
Well, I'm afraid the latest update isn't positive.

I had some bad news last week about my dad's health, adding to recent life-changing issues amongst close family and friends (though thankfully, touch wood, not as close as my wife & kids). Anyway, it's made me pause and reflect that life is short and that I want more joy in my life. I've always enjoyed performance cars and I really should get another while I can.

So, as nice as this A3 would have been, I cancelled the order. I was honest with the salesman about why and he arranged a deposit refund straight away - they're a big dealership and will have no problems changing the spec and taking it into stock. I sent him a decent-sized gift card as a thanks.

I thought about changing the order to an 8Y S3, but I'll be looking more towards a used 8V due to me wanting to pay from savings and therefore having a £30k top budget.

Reactions: -Ju-, NevMan, JohnM100 and 1 other person
Life is short mate and sorry to hear your news. The 8V is very good car, the MY2018 310ps is the peach in my opinion.

Reactions: NevMan, Sparks43, The Cardinal and 1 other person

I had some bad news last week about my dad's health, adding to recent life-changing issues amongst close family and friends (though thankfully, touch wood, not as close as my wife & kids). Anyway, it's made me pause and reflect that life is short and that I want more joy in my life. I've always enjoyed performance cars and I really should get another while I can.

[snip]

I thought about changing the order to an 8Y S3, but I'll be looking more towards a used 8V due to me wanting to pay from savings and therefore having a £30k top budget.

Firstly, truly sorry about your news and situation. Everyone has their own way to react and assimilate it. Yes, life is short, but long term it’s the balance of enjoy life, and rebalancing with something extra without excessive future financial burden.

Good that the dealer respected your situation.

I had a family bereavement several years ago. That person knew I loved cars. Would they have approved of an S3? Err no, due to worry but knowing that person they would be very happy I chose something I both enjoyed and respected. I got one and it’s fantastic. It also forms part of my memory of that person. Whether S3 or something else or another brand, do it for the right reasons.

As jcbmally says, a looked after MY18 310 S3 is a peach.

Best wishes dealing with this and whatever car and brand you decide.

Reactions: Jcbmally and The Cardinal
Life is short mate and sorry to hear your news. The 8V is very good car, the MY2018 310ps is the peach in my opinion.
You are reading my mind! At the same time you wrote this, I was just about to post about looking for a 2018 310PS S3!

Reactions: Jcbmally
You are reading my mind! At the same time you wrote this, I was just about to post about looking for a 2018 310PS S3!
I had a 2018 310 S3 and it was an excellent car

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and The Cardinal

So, as nice as this A3 would have been, I cancelled the order. I was honest with the salesman about why and he arranged a deposit refund straight away - they're a big dealership and will have no problems changing the spec and taking it into stock. I sent him a decent-sized gift card as a thanks.

£30k will get you into mostly every used S3 available and preferably one without the OPF filter go for the saloon its handles and drives just that bit better imo....pan roof,matrix headlights,Super Sport Seats Technology Package,Rear Camera are all options well within your budget, well equipped S3's hold their value exceedingly well due to the type of buyer the Audi S3 attracts buy well and you'll love it

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, The Cardinal and 1 other person