Facelift New order!

Regarding the ACC guys.

On the main ACC toggle lever, you have another small toggle in the centre which allows you to choose the gap it leaves between cars, I always have mine on the closest setting and the little display for the ACC changes in the VC to show this.

In the MMI, you can change how 'aggressive' the car moves and accelerates behind other cars. You have Dynamic, Normal and Comfort... comfort is smoother btw.

When stopped for 3 secs, ACC is disabled and stop/start kicks in. I don;t know how it knows that cars further up the road have started moving, it's really weird but very clever. However, you can just tap the accelerator lightly to start the ACC again, you don't always have to pull the lever back.

Finally, if you've braked and done some manual driving for a bit and then want the ACC on again, just pull the toggle forward again and it starts again at the settings you last used.

I use my ACC all the time, it's just so effortless and easy. You do have to keep an eye on it if your coming upto stationary traffic from a reasonable speed... get a twitchy bum hole when it leaves it's braking to the last second lol.

Reactions: Spurrellian
Yep - I know about that, but that's the distance it uses when in motion rather than the distance it'll let the car in front creep in traffic before it starts to move.

As for how it knows about cars ahead moving off - I think it bounces the radar off the road under the car in front of you. I think Tesla cars do the same.

I've had ACC for 3 1/2 years with my previous car - but not with S-Tronic, so that's the new bit to me.

Reactions: Adriansev and Mark_86
I must admit that when on the move, particularly at a reasonable speed (50-60mph) with the ACC set to the closest setting my wife seems get a little worried and starts to move her foot towards the brake pedal even though she is not the one who is driving!

The closest settings is available on this car where as I had to get another MMI menu made available through the dealers to get access to it on the previous A3. Even the dealer had to connect my previous A3 to the computers at Audi AG in Germany via the internet to download and install the extra menu.

Reactions: Mark_86
The distances seem further than in the PFL car to me. The MMI menu I got unlocked before allowed me to change the default but didn't unlock any distances you couldn't already set it to. I'll be unlocking mine with OBDEleven fairly soon.

Had a brief play with Android Auto today after moving my USB cable to the car. Works well once you have everything set up on it - and with the new laws on what you are/aren't allowed to do with a phone in a car (new guidance says you can't press buttons on a mounted phone even - only while parked up with the engine off to change sat nav destination or something), seems like a good way to interact with it.

Had a brief play with Android Auto today after moving my USB cable to the car. Works well once you have everything set up on it - and with the new laws on what you are/aren't allowed to do with a phone in a car (new guidance says you can't press buttons on a mounted phone even - only while parked up with the engine off to change sat nav destination or something), seems like a good way to interact with it.
Good thing I've seen this, I always wondered what the laws were regarding a mounted phone. Wonder how taxi drivers will interact with their systems and if they'll get away with it?

Probably. I imagine it wouldn't be treated as seriously as using a phone without a mount, but technically still illegal so you are still risking 6 points and £200.

The best place for a phone in a A3 is the in the armrest or glovebox. That way you are not temped to look at it whilst you are driving.

Reactions: richinsoton, DrEskimo, cemerson and 1 other person
And, as I've discovered now, it warns you when you forget to take it out the car at the end of your journey!

Reactions: redsep and Mark_86
Today I'll be getting my new A3 ready for it's first long journey. Tomorrow I am going away for a week to Andernach, next to the Rhine, in Germany. 300 miles in each direction. Should be well used to it by the time I get back.

Reactions: richinsoton, Tom.H and Sandra
I just had a play with VCDS to permanently switch off the Start/Stop system as I did on my previous A3. I have purchased an ODB11 dongle but it's on the standard version. I will need to upgrade it the the Pro version if I want to use it rather than VCDS.

Had a play with the matrix LEDs today. Really awesome! It's like driving around with full beam only noone flashes you :p You can see the individual patches of light turning off and on again as cars go past. Leagues ahead of the variable range lights I had on my PFL A3, and the LEDs are insanely bright compared to the xenons too. The only thing I haven't worked out how to do yet is flash your lights at someone when you have the matrix lights active, as pulling the stalk towards you just turns the matrix lights off and puts you back on dipped beam.

Had a play with the matrix LEDs today. Really awesome! It's like driving around with full beam only noone flashes you :p You can see the individual patches of light turning off and on again as cars go past. Leagues ahead of the variable range lights I had on my PFL A3, and the LEDs are insanely bright compared to the xenons too. The only thing I haven't worked out how to do yet is flash your lights at someone when you have the matrix lights active, as pulling the stalk towards you just turns the matrix lights off and puts you back on dipped beam.

Pull it a second time and you get the standard flash.

Yes, I realise that, but would be nice to be able to do it while keeping the matrix beams on
That would be nice, but I think they opted to utilise the familiar control scheme from standard lighting systems.

Enabled the ACC menu today using OBD eleven since the dealer wouldn't do it for me! It has an option now to remember the last setting (which I've enabled), as well as the old options to pick a default distance (this now gets greyed out when you choose the 'remember last setting' option).

Took a bit of exploring in the OBD eleven app, it wasn't listed under 'apps' - had to go to the ACC module then into Adaptions to find it there.

Something I've noticed with the media system now is that in the folder view, repeat play in that folder is the only option available. The PFL MMI let you play from that point but continue to the next folder once the current one was done, or have the current folder on repeat, but the new system only lets you repeat the current folder. Bit of a step backwards.