New RS3 0-60 Without Launch Control?

xavaar

Reaction score
What does the 2015 rs3 do 0-60 mph in without using launch control?

About one 'oh sh**' less than if using launch control - and you'd better have yer kecks down and prepared for that.

I mean, are you serious that it matters that much?

Reactions: Ghost, Bristle Hound and Yorrick
Id say it's closer to 5 seconds having tried it.

LC is 4 dead according to some tests.

I'm guessing cars like the new Civic Type R don't offer LC so would that make the Golf R similar 0-60? Let's face it you wouldn't use LC all the time so in normal day to day mode it's a good question. When I was looking at buying a Golf R I asked the same question as you can't compare real 0-60 with other cars and I think if a manufacturer quotes a 0-60 that is based on LC they should state that in the literature. There was a rumour on the VW forum that you were limited to how many LC's you could do without affecting warranty!

Reactions: Scotty2011
If you turn off traction control to prevent it getting bogged down and you're very skillful with the throttle, balancing revs and traction to perfection, you might get 4.6s ish. The advantages the LC has are 1. consistency - it'll give the same time all day long, and 2. it can slip the clutch a little if it needs to and with no third pedal you can't do that. So comparing it with my B7 RS4, the RS3 has about 8% more torque and 11% less weight, similar gearing in 1st and 2nd, a wider torque curve but more turbo lag. Should give a slight advantage to the RS3 then, hence my guess of 4.6s. Maybe slightly better if you can get a tiny bit of spin on a damp road to keep the revs up.
A fun thread but mostly irrelevant. There are much better measures of acceleration than 0-60, although that tends to be the popular benchmark that journalists understand. 30-80 through the gears would get my vote. Or standing quarter which makes the launch less important.

Reactions: Ghost, 45bvtc and xpoweruk
30-80 through the gears would get my vote

Me too: 30 to 80-mph through the gears all the way to the Welsh coast and back sure beats doin' 0 to 60-mph all day... :racer:

Reactions: Ghost
If you turn off traction control to prevent it getting bogged down and you're very skillful with the throttle, balancing revs and traction to perfection, you might get 4.6s ish. The advantages the LC has are 1. consistency - it'll give the same time all day long, and 2. it can slip the clutch a little if it needs to and with no third pedal you can't do that. So comparing it with my B7 RS4, the RS3 has about 8% more torque and 11% less weight, similar gearing in 1st and 2nd, a wider torque curve but more turbo lag. Should give a slight advantage to the RS3 then, hence my guess of 4.6s. Maybe slightly better if you can get a tiny bit of spin on a damp road to keep the revs up.
A fun thread but mostly irrelevant. There are much better measures of acceleration than 0-60, although that tends to be the popular benchmark that journalists understand. 30-80 through the gears would get my vote. Or standing quarter which makes the launch less important.

3rd advantage: it launches at more than 900rpm!

Reactions: Yorrick
3rd advantage: it launches at more than 900rpm!

Good point. You can tell I'm not used to these newfangled trick boxes yet! BTW what would happen if you sat in neutral, revved it and kept it floored and then slipped into D/S? Would it exploded or just not let you enter D/S until the revs have dropped enough?

Depends on the programming.

In the old days that was one way of doing a launch on a slush box!

On modern car it would either;
Refuse to select a gear until you let the revs had dropped
OR
Override the throttle so the revs drop

Just depends on who programmed the box.

Reactions: Yorrick
Let's face it you wouldn't use LC all the time so in normal day to day mode it's a good question. When I was looking at buying a Golf R I asked the same question as you can't compare real 0-60 with other cars and I think if a manufacturer quotes a 0-60 that is based on LC they should state that in the literature.

Bear in mind that all 0-62 times from manual cars are performed by racing drivers and with zero mechanical sympathy. The average driver could not reproduce these in the real world.

So you are still good. I've never used LC with my car, but I've never been taken from the lights when I chose to play, either.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
Id say it's closer to 5 seconds having tried it.

LC is 4 dead according to some tests.
That seems slow as sh!+ my stage 2+ b8 s4 puts down 4 flat granny shifting w/o LC but I'm also 3.1/3.3 ish with LC in S mode.....you should hit up 034 or giac. Apr probably the safety ist. Much more the money tho. Bought my baby girl second hand whit the arp already. Good luck my next will be a 5 like your but 2013 with a stick. Dsg/sTronic was a huge mistake. And iv been lucky my a champion. 107k and spins like a top. I'm just craving that thrd pedal. Like a drug

That seems slow as sh!+ my stage 2+ b8 s4 puts down 4 flat granny shifting w/o LC but I'm also 3.1/3.3 ish with LC in S mode.....you should hit up 034 or giac. Apr probably the safety ist. Much more the money tho. Bought my baby girl second hand whit the arp already. Good luck my next will be a 5 like your but 2013 with a stick. Dsg/sTronic was a huge mistake. And iv been lucky my a champion. 107k and spins like a top. I'm just craving that thrd pedal. Like a drug

First post on a forum and you choose to blurt a load of absolute twaddle quoting a 5 year old post! I’ve had 6 more cars since my RS3 so advice on what I should do next isn’t that useful.
Recommend you look more carefully at post dates and work on sentence structure.

Also, you say a “5 like your”, I assume you mean my SQ5? I have news for you, mine was a 2013 and the SQ5 ONLY ever come in tiptronic 8 speed, it’s not even STronic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk