New RS3 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone realises that by the time the updated RS3 comes out there will also be a face lifted A45, M2 LCI, TTRS, probably a nicely packaged S4 that's priced competitively.......

Point is, the time you're wasting waiting for a facelifted model, you could have had the current RS3, drove it for two years, and traded it for something far better that will be out by then. Cars are advancing so quickly, why wait?

Once the facelift is released, within 6 months Audi will have released additional features for it that you didn't get, and you'll be complaining you didn't get those features.

Endless cycle. Just buy a damn car and drive it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x, Snake Pliskin, VAG_Club001 and 1 other person
TT RS coupe OTR price will be £51800 - the roadster is £53550 OTR. Will be open for ordering on the 22nd August and first cars will land with customers in November 2016. Standard Specification is high with MMI Navigation Plus, Deluxe AC controls in dials, Audi connect for 3yrs, 19" alloys, RS brakes, RS suspension, Steering wheel with start button and drive select and so on. Still ****** expensive! Might wait a bit longer and see where the RS3 Saloon fits in this as it is rumoured to be shown at Paris or LA car shows (plus gives time for TT discounts etc.).

TTRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Garby81 and AudiNutta
Whets the appetite! So with a few extra like metallic paint and the equivalent of the dynamic pack/sports exhaust, you're probably looking at £55k. For the performance, not too bad.

The new TT is a very good Audi.
I've got a lowly FWD Ultra Diesel, but the way it goes about its business is very impressive.
I drove the TTS and felt as a driving prospect it was superior to the RS3.
The TTRS will be an incredible car I think. If you can manage the impracticality, its definitely worthy of the premium.

I had the new TT, 2.0t Quattro as a loan car and didnt rate it one bit. Didnt like the seating position and found the door pillar restricted my view at round abouts. Didn't like the steering wheel and seats were very uncomfy.

TTRS will be significantly lighter than the RS3 so it's always gonna have handling superiority that's obvious. But unless your on a circuit I honestly can't see how you would ever extract anywhere near its full potential on public roads !? .... & that's the TT's ace card.

But the RS3 still goes round corners lol :)
& with dynamic mag ride engaged it corners very impressively with little body roll ... more than sufficient handling for my day to day needs.

Straight line speed ... now that you can utilise every day, all day long ... 2.5 litres of 5 pot glory & dynamic sports exhaust ... that's where it's at baby oh yeah :yes:
:bluecar::boom::boom::dashsymbol::speakerone::speakerone:

I love our TT but I actually prefer the driving position in my RS3. It's plenty low enough with seat as low as possible & steering wheel set high, it's spot on. The TT seating position just feels a little awkward by comparison. I found the super sports seats on the TT to be uncomfortable too, they were too narrow - I think they are probably better for people with slim or slender physiques. The standard TT seats are much better ... but the RS3 super sport seats are easily the best. They are firmer & more bolstered than the standard S3 seats and the extra shoulder support holds you perfectly in place through corners. They also look amazing !!

I also like the hatch practicality of the RS3.
The TT is relatively practical for 2 adults but it's refreshing having the sportback with its shorter front doors. Getting in & out my garage / car parks etc is a breeze compared to my previous 3 door cars & the TT is especially restrictive with huge doors and seats that don't go far enough back IMO, so it's extra tight getting out.

I really like the new TT and it has superb build quality & is ultra stylish, but I'd pick my RS3 over the TTRS and happily pocket the £10k saving for sure.

Reactions: Scottyg, Bristle Hound, seakay and 1 other person
I drove the TTS and felt as a driving prospect it was superior to the RS3

Honestly? A friend of mine has one, and I can't see how it could possibly compare - noise, power etc.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Honestly? A friend of mine has one, and I can't see how it could possibly compare - noise, power etc.

Depends on your priorities.
Handling, steering and poise are more important to me than noise and straight line speed.
Most RS3 owners seem to favour the noise and acceleration, which is fair enough.
From my back to back test on the same roads the TTS is a better, more rewarding car to drive than the RS3.
The TTRS will be an absolutely belter of a car.

Reactions: D0C
Depends on your priorities.
Handling, steering and poise are more important to me than noise and straight line speed.
Most RS3 owners seem to favour the noise and acceleration, which is fair enough.
From my back to back test on the same roads the TTS is a better, more rewarding car to drive than the RS3.
The TTRS will be an absolutely belter of a car.

I'm sure it will be. But give me my RS3 any day of the week. IMHO it's handling is perfect as it is as I'm not interested in track days, and I don't pointlessly thrash it round country roads.

I just like the cars growl, presence and general aggressive personality. Which I feel the TT, RS or not, just doesn't have.

And for that price, and for a car of that size, I would much rather have a Cayman S.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Yorrick and Radman
I'm sure it will be. But give me my RS3 any day of the week. IMHO it's handling is perfect as it is as I'm not interested in track days, and I don't pointlessly thrash it round country roads.

I just like the cars growl, presence and general aggressive personality. Which I feel the TT, RS or not, just doesn't have.

And for that price, and for a car of that size, I would much rather have a Cayman S.
Bit early to say that the TTRS won't have the growl and presence until it's out and we've had the test drive.

I said on another thread that IMO I think the RS3 looks like it wants driven but the TTS looks like it wants to poodle about.

Bit early to say that the TTRS won't have the growl and presence until it's out and we've had the test drive.

I'm sure it will have the growl. But does it look like it wants to growl? That's kind of what I'm trying to say...

Maybe I'm just not a massive fan of the TT. RS or not, I just don't see it has that presence...

I said on another thread that IMO I think the RS3 looks like it wants driven but the TTS looks like it wants to poodle about.
That's kind of what I'm trying to say...

Reactions: Scottyg
I don't think that you can compare the TTRS and the RS3. Both totally different cars aimed at different markets. Personally I'm glad I have my RS3 as I love the looks and stance of the car. For me, the TTRS doesn't have the X Factor and looks likes a slightly tarted up TT. The RS3 for me carries a bit of panache and never fails to grab a glance from onlookers. For me, the TTRS is aimed at hairdressers and such like........

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Scottyg and ComputerControlled
I don't think that you can compare the TTRS and the RS3. Both totally different cars aimed at different markets. Personally I'm glad I have my RS3 as I love the looks and stance of the car. For me, the TTRS doesn't have the X Factor and looks likes a slightly tarted up TT. The RS3 for me carries a bit of panache and never fails to grab a glance from onlookers. For me, the TTRS is aimed at hairdressers and such like........

It is a bit hairdresser friendly. My mate gets some stick off the lads.
It's just the general stigma of an Audi TT and RS version or not, there's no way around it.
I would love a go of the TTRS though, just wouldn't fork out that much cash on one.

Having owned a TT I miss the lightness, more responsive handling and styling.
The RS3 seems to be higher quality and feels more rigid, got used to the old-world pop up display and its more practical too.
As to how it handles am going on track tomorrow thanks to Audi Sport.
Can't help feeling the TT RS will turn be better handling and quicker on track but as said it's a quite a different car and price category.

To me 2 seater sports cars are about finesse and driver involvement and you would have to be smoking crack IMO to pay 52k + options for a TT RS rather than get a Caymen S.

And if straight line speed and being billy big b******s at the lights is your thing 52k will get you a decent stage 2 GT-R

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Agreed Dave, I don't consider a TT a sports car whatever engine it has, it's a coupe.

To me 2 seater sports cars are about finesse and driver involvement and you would have to be smoking crack IMO to pay 52k + options for a TT RS rather than get a Caymen S.

And if straight line speed and being billy big b******s at the lights is your thing 52k will get you a decent stage 2 GT-R

Yeah I think you would be mad too, to lay out that much cash on a TTRS. Cayman all the way!

The premium relates to the incredibly advanced engine. But to look at, the car just doesn't distinguish itself enough from the rest of the TT range. The TT is just too popular - every other Audi I see on the road seems to be a TT.

You could say the same about the S3 and the RS3 but to look at, and to drive, the two cars are worlds apart in both power and design. And I think that's why the new RS3 has been so popular - the price increase is justified - and I just don't think you could say the same about a top spec TT.

Couldn't disagree more. The RS3, as much as I love it, is based on an A3. The TT is designed from the outset to be more overtly sporting than a family hatchback. There's really not much love for the TTRS on here which does surprise me. I'll certainly be getting priced up on one. £50k for a pre reg heavily specced RS3, or £55k for a reasonably specced TTRS...

Reactions: CraigI and Foxtrot_Oscar
Couldn't disagree more. The RS3, as much as I love it, is based on an A3. The TT is designed from the outset to be more overtly sporting than a family hatchback. There's really not much love for the TTRS on here which does surprise me. I'll certainly be getting priced up on one. £50k for a pre reg heavily specced RS3, or £55k for a reasonably specced TTRS...
That is new to me, are you saying that the platform of the TTRS is different to the RS3 ?

Peter

That is new to me, are you saying that the platform of the TTRS is different to the RS3 ?

Peter
I assume you're referring to the MQB platform, which also underpins the A8?

I think it will be a nice car, no doubt about that.
But £50k plus? I I know some of you guys were hoping for the RS3 F/L but you must be mental to think of spending that much on a TT.
And you can't get away from that fact that it's a bit of a hairdresser mobile... it's just the stigma of the car.

Reactions: Radman
It depends if you care what other people think ;)

I think the hairdresser image of the TT is outdated these days, especially with the new model. The first TT looked rather too similar to the VW Beetle IMO. The new ones are far more sharped edged than curved these days.

Couldn't disagree more. The RS3, as much as I love it, is based on an A3. The TT is designed from the outset to be more overtly sporting than a family hatchback.

I agree. For my money, the RS3 looks way too much like a standard A3 from any angle other than front on, especially the sides.

Take a look at these three cars - an 1.4 TFSI SE, an 2.0 TDI S-Line and then an RS3. From that angle they're almost identical, it's just the exhaust and the wheels that have changed. Wasn't the RS3 supposed to have more flared arches or something?

Audi A3 Sportback 14 T FSI SE
Audi A3 Sportback 20 TDI S Line
Audi RS3 Sportback 25 T FSI quattro

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I think the hairdresser image of the TT is outdated these days, especially with the new model. The first TT looked rather too similar to the VW Beetle IMO. The new ones are far more sharped edged than curved these days.

Still a hairdresser mobile though. No getting away from that.

I agree. For my money, the RS3 looks way too much like a standard A3 from any angle other than front on, especially the sides.

Take a look at these three cars - an 1.4 TFSI SE, an 2.0 TDI S-Line and then an RS3. From that angle they're almost identical, it's just the exhaust and the wheels that have changed. Wasn't the RS3 supposed to have more flared arches or something?

View attachment 99434 View attachment 99435 View attachment 99436

That's a very bog standard RS3, taken from a very unflattering angle...:tearsofjoy:
Bet whoever put that together drives an S3! Maybe an S4...

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm. I guess that with a new RS3, SLK and X1 all paid for, under the carport makes me the archetypical hairdresser! To which I respond, I must have done something right in my life then..!

mmm. I guess that with a new RS3, SLK and X1 all paid for, under the carport makes me the archetypical hairdresser! To which I respond, I must have done something right in my life then..!
That makes you Vidal Sassoon himself, mate.
All you need now is the TT.

That's a very bog standard RS3, taken from a very unflattering angle.
The unflattering angle is *any* angle that doesn't show the front. The RS3 visual differences are 80% at the front. The rest of the car is very bog-standard A3 sportback. Same dimensions, same shape, same panels. Maybe they are actually different, but they don't look it. I took them all from the Audi approved used site (you can buy all these cars today!), but to be fair I only noticed that the RS3 had been debadged after I'd posted it.

The unflattering angle is *any* angle that doesn't show the front. The RS3 visual differences are 80% at the front. The rest of the car is very bog-standard A3 sportback. Same dimensions, same shape, same panels. Maybe they are actually different, but they don't look it. I took them all from the Audi approved used site (you can buy all these cars today!), but to be fair I only noticed that the RS3 had been debadged after I'd posted it.

RS3 is actually pretty different in size then others in the A3 range, slightly different sized panels. 35cm wider, 12cm lower in height and 19cm longer. Pretty considerable when side to side with a bog standard A3. Add the vents, spoilers, rear diffuser, suspension, huge brakes, LED lights, exhaust system etc etc etc etc and you get a different car. Then there is that engine!:tongueclosed:
I think you're thinking of the S3/S4 where dimensions are exact to the rest of the range... more like a souped up S-Line.

This thread is an absolute classic - keep it coming guys :) :)

Reactions: ComputerControlled and Radman
I assume you're referring to the MQB platform, which also underpins the A8?

D0c, are you claiming that the RSTT is a different platform to the RS3. The way I understand it, The basic frame is the same, right ?
Same as the Golf. Or is the frame lighter ?

Peter

Take a look at these three cars - an 1.4 TFSI SE, an 2.0 TDI S-Line and then an RS3. From that angle they're almost identical, it's just the exhaust and the wheels that have changed. Wasn't the RS3 supposed to have the more flared arches or something?

From those angles I can see different rear defuser, flared wheel arches, side skirts on the s-line and then lower ones on the RS3, big massive exhausts, larger wheels, rear tints, and finally lower rear bumpers.

Quite a lot of differences.

D0c, are you claiming that the RSTT is a different platform to the RS3. The way I understand it, The basic frame is the same, right ?
Same as the Golf. Or is the frame lighter ?

Peter
They use the MQB platform. Difficult to explain but as Wikipedia puts it, "it's not a platform per se" in that it means they share some of the parts, ie engine mounts. Gets all very techy, but the TT is a different design to the RS3. Just like the A8, which shares the platform, is too.

There's people far more knowledgable about these things than me, that's for sure!

I must say I'm surprised at the negativity towards the TTRS. Circa £50k for a classy motor with a quality interior, that's 3.7s to 62mph, will sound the mutts nuts and with the 4WD security.

I see, I did read somewhere that the chassis of the TT, was 40-50 kg lighter then the RS3. Maybe some aluminium has snog in somewhere.
The new engine is also fully alloy. But the new RS3 FL will for sure get that to.

Peter

Like these??

Reactions: ComputerControlled
Status
Not open for further replies.