New RS3 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the Sport 1.8 TFSI

Didn't think it was the Sport, looks like an SE.. Very bland from that rear/side angle, then again all A3's are the same so who knows without seeing the badge? :whistle2:

Reactions: Radman
From those angles I can see different rear defuser, flared wheel arches, side skirts on the s-line and then lower ones on the RS3, big massive exhausts, larger wheels, rear tints, and finally lower rear bumpers.
Quite a lot of differences.
I mentioned the wheels and the exhaust. The wheel arches look identical to me. Which are supposed to be flared, front or back? Are rear tints an RS3 only option? The diffuser is just black plastic in a different shape to the black plastic on the other cars and the bumpers are *slightly* different. To most non-enthusiasts, it's pretty much the same car (unless they hear it!), and the same as your auntie's TDi S-line. The TT is much more distinctive.

Andy, have you seen one of these in the flesh? No disrespect, but if you had you wouldn't be writing so much tripe :tonguewink::tonguewink:

I mentioned the wheels and the exhaust. The wheel arches look identical to me. Which are supposed to be flared, front or back? Are rear tints an RS3 only option? The diffuser is just black plastic in a different shape to the black plastic on the other cars and the bumpers are *slightly* different. To most non-enthusiasts, it's pretty much the same car (unless they hear it!), and the same as your auntie's TDi S-line. The TT is much more distinctive.

Reactions: Scottyg
Have I seen one of what in the flesh?

Reactions: Radman
An RS3 I assume?

Reactions: Scottyg and Radman
Well of course I've seen an RS3, I own one.

My point is that if people are saying that the TTRS doesn't shed the image of its lesser 'hairdresser' variants, then neither does the RS3 shed the image of its lesser A3 variants. It's really not that much different and the base A3 is much cr**er than the base TT IIRC.

My point is that if people are saying that the TTRS doesn't shed the image of its lesser 'hairdresser' variants, then neither does the RS3 shed the image of its lesser A3 variants. It's really not that much different and the base A3 is much cr**er than the base TT IIRC.

But the TT will always be a bit of a hairdresser model. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Criminals love to steal the S3 / RS3 but even they will stay clear of a TT in case it ruins their cred when doing a bank job.
I am joking by the way...
but the funny thing is...
if you think about it...
Ha ha ha!
But seriously, park your RS3 up next to an A3 S-Line and you will see. My sister has one, difference is seriously clear.

Reactions: Rs1, Radman and Scottyg
But the TT will always be a bit of a hairdresser model. That's the point I'm trying to make. Criminals love to steal the S3 / RS3 but even they will stay clear of a TT in case it ruins their cred when doing a bank job.
But seriously, park your RS3 up next to an A3 S-Line and you will see. My sister has one, difference is seriously clear.
As it happens I parked up next to one last night at the supermarket. I was going to take photos but thought it might look dodgy. At the time I was trying to verify the claim that the RS3 is longer & wider but it didn't seem it to me. I think you'd need a tape measure to verify it.

Okay well I don't see the hairdresser connection anymore, I feel they've moved on from that a lot and yeah, the bank robbers aren't ever going to use a 3 door car.

Reactions: ComputerControlled and Radman

I was being sarcastic mate. My point is that an RS3 in my eyes sits head and shoulders above A3 variants. My missus has a A3 and side to side from every angle you can tell the difference in my opinion.

Reactions: ComputerControlled
This thread has gone to another level ;)

The RS3 and TTRS are both cars I would have in a heartbeat...if the price was right...

Reactions: ComputerControlled, Jassyo06 and Radman
As previously said anybody spending over 50K on a TT instead of a new Cayman with the pedigree it has would be off their head.
Although maybe the ammonia from the perming chemicals melts the brain somewhat:sign unfair:

Who knows, the new TT might be better to drive than the Cayman. Unlikely, but it's not even out yet, so a bit early to judge.

Who knows, the new TT might be better to drive than the Cayman. Unlikely, but it's not even out yet, so a bit early to judge.
I seriously can't see that, the Cayman is meant to be a serious machine... and that pedigree, speaks for itself... but maybe... who knows. Depends if Toni & Guy are reviewing it...:tongueclosed:

Reactions: Radman and D0C
I think the only reason not to get a Cayman over a TTRS would be the stigma of driving a Porsche.From the point of view of residuals too it would be crazy.The discounts they're offering on new shape TTs doesn't bode well for TTs in general.Though Im not sure any cars really hold their value that well anymore.

Thing is the Cayman has gone to a 4-pot turbo and lost that epic soundtrack. Sounds more like a Subaru now and every review has slated it for that. Plus, Porsche are worse than Audi for selling you a basic car and requiring you to spend heavily on extras that are needed to make the Cayman the best it can be. Once that is factored in and you then compare, the Cayman is a £65K motor, so hardly a £50k option. At least the TTRS is really well spec'd for the basic motor and it will sound epic with that new 5-pot. That makes choosing a little more difficult and I actually think I would get the **** ripped out of me more for the mid-life crisis image of the Cayman than any hairdresser sexist *****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: D0C
Thing is the Cayman has gone to a 4-pot turbo and lost that epic soundtrack. Sounds more like a Subaru now and every review has slated it for that. Plus, Porsche are worse than Audi for selling you a basic car and requiring you to spend heavily on extras that are needed to make the Cayman the best it can be. Once that is factored in and you then compare, the Cayman is a £65K motor, so hardly a £50k option. At least the TTRS is really well spec'd for the basic motor and it will sound epic with that new 5-pot. That makes choosing a little more difficult and I actually think I would get the **** ripped out of me more for the mid-life crisis image of the Cayman than any hairdresser sexist *****.
What about a TT convertible. That sounds more up your street?

Ye know what l think...its the same old same old some RS3's guys are all on the back foot again...lol...There's Always a Bigger Fish...lol and more expensive bigger fish..lol

Ye know what l think...its the same old same old some RS3's guys are all on the back foot again...lol...There's Always a Bigger Fish...lol and more expensive bigger fish..lol
To be fair, Jassy, it is an RS3 forum:tearsofjoy:
And no... bigger fish, not for me. Give me my RS3 any day of the week.
RS4 for me next pal. Proper car, no messing...

Reactions: Jassyo06
To be fair, Jassy, it is an RS3 forum:tearsofjoy:
And no... bigger fish, not for me. Give me my RS3 any day of the week.
RS4 for me next pal. Proper car, no messing...

So when is it happening..RS4 must be at least this time next year..and in what form...Avant...Some high up Head of Audi Sales,told me last Sunday...that Audi are giving them,a sneek Preview of the RS4 along side the RS3 Saloon....this winter...???,hopefully for Audi's sake, because the car current best selling car line up is truely woeful looking...no pizazz in other words...Audi are in great need of some RS models

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
So when is it happening..RS4 must be at least this time next year..and in what form...Avant...Some high up Head of Audi Sales,told me last Sunday...that Audi are giving them,a sneek Preview of the RS4 along side the RS3 Saloon....this winter...???,hopefully for Audi's sake, because the car current best selling car line up is truely woeful looking...no pizazz in other words...Audi are in great need of some RS models

Glad I got mine when I did mate :yes::whistle2:

Not sure, but it's been spotted on test. Maybe next year, like you say. Avant all the way! One of the legendary RS models!

RS4 will have the best Audi AWD system.
Makes it a much better car to drive.

Who the **** wants an estate though !!!!!!

I certainly don't !

Reactions: Jassyo06

I certainly don't !
Me... for my rapidly growing dog.
He's not going to fit my RS3 soon, rate he's growing...
I've never been mad keen on estates but I think the RS4, with the right spec, is a beauty. Always wanted one...

Reactions: Yorrick and Snake Pliskin

I certainly don't !

Me as well, I had B5 RS4 number 11 :D, which I still think is one of the best designed RS cars of all time.

The new one should be the complete package with :

Proper sports 4wd, which is better than the Haldex system and I am not anti Haldex as I have had it on my cars for the last 10 years

Bi 'electric' turbo V6 which should be a huge improvement over the torqueless V8 which IMO makes for a very bad daily driver engine, the new engine should have instant shove like the RS3 and RS6 but even more so

And hopefully it will look like a proper RS with blistered arches, unfortunately to me the 8V apart from the bumpers looks exactly like pretty much every other A3, this is one of the reasons i didn't replace my 8P with one. They could at least offer a big spoiler, splitter and canyards to visually lift the car over the rest of the bogo range.

Downside to the new 4 will of course be the price, will it be that much faster than the 3 0-90 in the real world to justify a 15-20k premium, time will tell, oh and potentially audi's **** dynamic steering which I hated on the outgoing 4...

Last edited:
Ok that's 2 of you :)

Ok yes it's gonna be an awesome car totally agree & as far as estates go they are good looking cars and I get that some people want an estate .... but why not offer a saloon variant as then I would consider it ???

Ok that's 2 of you :)

Ok yes it's gonna be an awesome car totally agree & as far as estates go they are good looking cars and I get that some people want an estate .... but why not offer a saloon variant as then I would consider it ???
Because the new RS3 is going to be a saloon.

Because the new RS3 is going to be a saloon.

But hatch is my preference, so if the facelift RS3 is saloon only then what ... TT is 2 seater, 3 is saloon & 4 is estate !

Audi generally offer a crazy amount of variants across many of the ranges so why limit the RS models like this ?

I hope to get a new rs4 in 3 years or so unless I keep the 3 love an rs4 saloon or avant

If my memory serves me correctly, the first RS model was the RS2, the 80 Avant with some tinkering by Porsche... The next one was the RS4 Avant, so they are keeping the line of RS models as they were originally.

Let's be honest too, the A3 Sportback was originally like an A3 Avant anyway.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
But hatch is my preference, so if the facelift RS3 is saloon only then what ... TT is 2 seater, 3 is saloon & 4 is estate !

Audi generally offer a crazy amount of variants across many of the ranges so why limit the RS models like this ?

Why do you need a hatch (well a Sportback to be precise, which is more mini-estate than hatch IMO)?
Current RS4 is only 37cm longer than the RS3, looks better for it too, proportions of the RS4 are spot on.

Why do you need a hatch (well a Sportback to be precise, which is more mini-estate than hatch IMO)?
Current RS4 is only 37cm longer than the RS3, looks better for it too, proportions of the RS4 are spot on.

After having compromised practicality with TT's and an S5 coupe, the sportback gives me a pleasing body shape with great practicality when I need it. Hatch is more practical than a saloon. If I did have to go saloon or coupe again, then the Mrs would probably go hatch again so we cover all options. It is nice having short front doors though for car parks and my garage. Very happy with the car though so will see in a couple of years what is around then. There may even be a run out RS3 sportback black edition - if I did want another one.

To be fair, 37cm is quite a bit of length of you have a garage!

To be fair, 37cm is quite a bit of length of you have a garage!

Agreed ... the S5 would have been similar and it did take up much more room lengthways. The sportback is also better width wise .... the RS3 is slightly narrower than the S5 but inside feels bigger as it uses its proportions better .... hence win win !

Status
Not open for further replies.