New RS3 - wider tyres at front worth it?

AlexDR

Reaction score
Ordered an RS3 today and chose the wider front tyres although the dealer asked whether I was sure. Their demo had the standard setup. Anybody else ordered these? Do existing RS3 drivers have a similar setup and does it make much difference?

As always, any thoughts are welcomed.

I know there was another thread on this but it got a bit sidetracked and not many of those on the order list posted.

I'd have been tempted but really don't like diamond cut wheels so went standard. I'll wait to see what others think of the wider tyres and may buy some aftermarket wheels and fatter tyres next summer and use the original rotors with winter tyres.
I've got this crazy theory that wider front tyres make the Haldex delay the point at which it pushes more torque to the rear, so fatter tyres = better turn-in and mid-corner grip, but more understeer under power on the exit, as Haldex just keeps feeding more to the front. We'll see.

After driving one with wider fronts for the day and giving it some stick. I Went straight in and changed my order and specced the wider fronts.
Although it wasn't bad understeer...I wasn't dissapointed !
I just wouldn't want any less grip up front than it had.

Reactions: Scotty2011 and RYuill
I have them on mine......... They do make a noticeable difference from the standard 235's.
Plus they are cheaper to order at build time rather than after you've bought it.

After driving one with wider fronts for the day and giving it some stick. I Went straight in and changed my order and specced the wider fronts.
Although it wasn't bad understeer...I wasn't dissapointed !
I just wouldn't want any less grip up front than it had.
I did the exact same! Took he demonstrator out with the wider tyres then amended my spec when I got back to the dealers. Luckily didn't change my build week.

I found they do make a big difference to front end grip, especially during the warmer months of the year, with very little discernible loss of ride comfort.

If anyone is after a set of the wider alloys for their 8P RS3 I have a great set for sale - just posted in the For Sale thread (sticky) !!