New s 4 service guide???

john batley

Reaction score
Hi new member on this site so HELO EVERYONE.
I have just purchased a Audi S4 with the b9 engine.
I have done 2000 miles ish in 3 months from collection date and I have a messages on the MMI telling me that I have to change the oil in 24 days.
I call the local Audi garage and the service staff toll me that the car has an ( oil grading sensor ) that checks the quality of the oil and that is way I have to change the oil.
To the best of my knowledge I now that performance engine have to get it change more often than standard models but on 2000 miles ??? Come on .
I have been told that the first oil change is around 5000 miles.
Can anyone clarify if the staff at Audi are talking poo and they just want to get more money of me or is there actually a oil quality sensor in the engine and I have to bite the bullet.?
Thanks

Not sure if they did the pre delivery inspection correctly. Ask to speak to the service manager. I recall someone a while ago reported the same thing on the forum.

Reactions: john batley
WesT-geful thanks pal
I have had the car back ones for the MMI softwere re install as they have not done the pre inspection correctly prior collection of the vehicle.
I will go back to them about this.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I'd definitely be getting that checked. I'm on 12.8k miles and it hasn't flagged up needing an oil change yet.

Had “oil service due” ping up on Sunday, have only done 2800 miles but that’s over a period of 14 months. Checked with service manager who says that’s about right knowing the type of journeys I undertake.

Reactions: john batley and Daggerit
Had “oil service due” ping up on Sunday, have only done 2800 miles but that’s over a period of 14 months. Checked with service manager who says that’s about right knowing the type of journeys I undertake.

Off topic but how do you do so little miles?

That makes some sense. I should add then that my car was new on the 1st Sept last year so only about 10 months old.

So little miles due to weekend use only, and then usually short local journeys. I clock up about 20000 miles a year in other people’s vehicles!

I think that you will find that the "oil grading sensor" is just a few sensor outputs like oil temperature, time run and miles, that are used to work out typical oil degradation.

Edit:- the smart money for anyone doing less than 10K in 12 months is to change to fixed miles/time servicing.

Hi everyone
just found this post after a search, I have a 9 month old S4 which has just turned 9k miles and the oil change light message has appeared.
i'm not so fussed about that as some of the 9k miles have been quite hard :) what I am wondering though is what prices have you been quoted to do it at Audi ? my local stealer said £340 today for an oil change !! I asked if it was gold leaf in the oil …..