New S1 owner

Reaction score
WP 20190309 11 27 21 Pro
WP 20190309 11 26 49 Pro
Hi folks,
I thought I'd introduce myself. Picking up my S1 Sportsback on Thursday. I think it's possibly the last pre-registered one in the UK. I certainly couldn't see anything else with less than 100 miles recorded on the Audi approved used website. Nano grey with a black roof.
I'm coming from a Clio RS200 which was my weekend toy & occasional track day car. Also replacing my wife's A1. Were struggling to justify running 3 cars so the S1 ticks all the boxes for replacing both cars. I can't wait until Thursday!

Reactions: circletide, Terminator x, Sandra and 1 other person
I like that colour - personally not a fan of five doors (I know car makers don't like them) as I have no need for them but yours looks great!

Have fun, I love mine and have really enjoyed saving up to mod her :)

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Sandra
Nice car Johnny, only 1 more day till collection. Hope the weather improves for you tomorrow. Enjoy.

Reactions: Johnny 99
Thanks @Ifcrule1972. I generally prefer three doors myself but as you say this one does look good & the fact that it's effectively a new car was appealing. Our other car is a 2 door so maybe a touch of practicality will come in handy. Can't wait to pick her up.
I like that colour - personally not a fan of five doors (I know car makers don't like them) as I have no need for them but yours looks great!

Have fun, I love mine and have really enjoyed saving up to mod her :)

Love the colour, looks great, enjoy! What extras did you get?

G

Love the colour, looks great, enjoy! What extras did you get?

G
As far as I'm aware the extras are upgraded wheels, flat bottomed steering wheel, black roof, privacy glass, maybe something else but I can't remember. Tbh I was just happy to get probably the last S1 in the UK with only 100 miles on the clock.
Took it for my 1st proper drive today, 250 miles round trip up to the top left hand corner of mainland UK at Durness. Great, empty driving roads & one of the reasons I moved to Scotland from S.E. England as I was sick of spending my days in London traffic (I was a white van man). Really impressed with the S1 as a quick cross country tool. Passing slower traffic was a synch. Great handling & a supple ride with the dynamic control in auto on bumpy British B roads.

Great to hear you're loving the drive :) You've probably already realised but, if you put the car in Dynamic it will default to Auto (even though the display will say Dynamic) when you switch the car off. You have to cycle through the Auto, Efficiency and back to Dynamic if you want to carry on driving in Dynamic. As far as I know the other two modes stay as set when you switch the car off.

I was never 100% on this until I had the APR stage 1 map with the crackle effect. If I cycle through it then goes back to Dynamic and the noise effect is back on, if I don't although it says it's still in Dynamic it's not....

How are you finding the S1 compared to the Clio?

Does anyone know whether you can cycle the drive select by using the star key on the steering wheel? I am able to do this on my RS5 and assume it would need some programming on the S1? They put the drive select button in the most awkward place..especially for a quick change over to dynamic..

G

Does anyone know whether you can cycle the drive select by using the star key on the steering wheel? I am able to do this on my RS5 and assume it would need some programming on the S1? They put the drive select button in the most awkward place..especially for a quick change over to dynamic..

G
Yes + if you hold the * button it pulls up a list of things it can shortcut, drive select is one of them.

TX.

Edit - does on my A4 anyway.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Great to hear you're loving the drive :) You've probably already realised but, if you put the car in Dynamic it will default to Auto (even though the display will say Dynamic) when you switch the car off. You have to cycle through the Auto, Efficiency and back to Dynamic if you want to carry on driving in Dynamic. As far as I know the other two modes stay as set when you switch the car off.

I was never 100% on this until I had the APR stage 1 map with the crackle effect. If I cycle through it then goes back to Dynamic and the noise effect is back on, if I don't although it says it's still in Dynamic it's not....

How are you finding the S1 compared to the Clio?
Thanks for that I hadn't found that yet. I did find that on those roads auto seemed to allow the car to work with the road whereas dynamic seemed to be fighting the road & the car was bouncing around a bit. This made me think dynamic might be best left for smoother European roads & track days, but I'll keep playing with it. I was surprised as the Clio had the optional cup pack with lowered, stiffer suspension & I hadn't found that too much. I'd even lowered the car more & with springs from Cooksport, BTCC driver Josh Cook's company. Maybe having a choice makes you more aware of the differences.
Compared to the Clio it's a different flavour of fun. The S1 is much more mature. I love the way it makes brisk cross country drives effortless & slower traffic can be overtaken with just a dab of throttle thanks to the mid range oomph of the turbocharged motor. The fun in the Clio came from grabbing it by the scruff of the neck & revving the naturally aspirated motor to get to the power combined with the superb chassis. Just a different approach really. As the Clio was modified to make it a bit more track friendly it wouldn't have suited my wife when we decided to cut down to two cars so she told me to find a fun car she'd be happy driving to replace both the Clio & the A1. She knows I would have missed having a fast small car to enjoy. As we both loved the A1 an S1 was the obvious choice. It complements our other car, a Mercedes E Class convertible nicely as we have a cruiser & something sporty to enjoy.
Wp ss 20190219 0026 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator x
Yes + if you hold the * button it pulls up a list of things it can shortcut, drive select is one of them.

TX.

Edit - does on my A4 anyway.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Thanks - It does not have that option on the S1 from factory, was wondering if someone had programmed it using other means..

I remember this clio from the forums as i used to own a Alien green clio 200 myself . Audi's are in a different galaxy compared to renault's even tho i still have a soft spot for renault hot hatch's

I remember this clio from the forums as i used to own a Alien green clio 200 myself . Audi's are in a different galaxy compared to renault's even tho i still have a soft spot for renault hot hatch's
Yeah, completely different cars. I'm still running the S1 in (I'm old fashioned like that!) so haven't truly experienced it yet, or fully dialled in to the way it drives yet. 670 miles on the clock now so I'll gradually start using more revs now.
I love the mid range punch of the turbo engine, but I have to admit I miss revving the naturally aspirated motor too. Hoping the S1 chassis turns out to be as much fun as that of the Clio.

Yeah totally different cars
The clio it just lacked the low down torque for me but the handling of the clio on the other hand was second to none .
I've had my new s3 sportback 3 weeks now and is currently on 520 miles so i'am in the same boat when it comes to not being able to use all the power .

Yeah totally different cars
The clio it just lacked the low down torque for me but the handling of the clio on the other hand was second to none .
I've had my new s3 sportback 3 weeks now and is currently on 520 miles so i'am in the same boat when it comes to not being able to use all the power .
Btw I recognised your user name from over on the other forum.

Reactions: Mr Freeze