New S1 Owner

TwoFourXray

Reaction score
Evening All,

Hope you're all well and looking forward to Crimbo. Just recently picked up my Nano Grey 24.5K 2016 S1 from Audi, loving it so far. Any issues/faults I should be keeping an eye out for? as the car comes with a 1 year warranty. Thanks for any advice in advance.

TempImageKrF6Md

Kind Regards

James.

Welcome, nice colour.

Main issue is clutch failure, they're not the best. Check to see if the haldex has firstly been serviced and secondly properly. Audi only do an oil change, they don't remove the pump and clean the gauze this leads to gunk building up and causing the pump to fail. There's been a lot of people picking up used S1s lately and finding the haldex doesn't kick in as expected. If it's not been done thoroughly, it's worth considering it.

Make sure all of your heating works properly (all modes, all vents and so on) whilst you have warranty, a failure of the heater unit requires dash out and it's not cheap.

Other than that they're pretty solid so you should enjoy, they're great cars.

Reactions: TwoFourXray
Phazer,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Interestingly they (Audi) have serviced the haldex recently as part of the handover and pre-inspection. I’ll ask if they have cleaned the gauze etc.

I’ll keep an eye on the clutch. I have been following some old threads on here regarding it. The aim is to keep the car stock, that way hopefully the clutch will last.

Im looking froward to driving it, it’s a long time since I’ve had a pocket rocket. Previously had Renault Sports as a youth!

Kind Regards

James

Phazer,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Interestingly they (Audi) have serviced the haldex recently as part of the handover and pre-inspection. I’ll ask if they have cleaned the gauze etc.

I’ll keep an eye on the clutch. I have been following some old threads on here regarding it. The aim is to keep the car stock, that way hopefully the clutch will last.

Im looking froward to driving it, it’s a long time since I’ve had a pocket rocket. Previously had Renault Sports as a youth!

Kind Regards

James
At least the haldex has had an oil change, it's vanishingly likely Audi won't have done any more. Most dealers outright refuse anything other than the straight oil change.

I've seen people put serious miles on standard on the original clutch, others have needed them at low miles so whilst not great, driving style and capability must come into it.

Anyway, enough of the negs have fun, I love mine.

Evening All,

Hope you're all well and looking forward to Crimbo. Just recently picked up my Nano Grey 24.5K 2016 S1 from Audi, loving it so far. Any issues/faults I should be keeping an eye out for? as the car comes with a 1 year warranty. Thanks for any advice in advance.

View attachment 247262

Kind Regards

James.
Hope you're enjoying your new S1! Nano grey is a lovely colour, I waited 2 years to find a nano grey S1 in my ideal spec. I've had my nano grey S1 for a year and a half and I'll probably never sell it! It's a great colour, doesn't show too much dirt and has a lovely hue in bright sun.

As far as issues that I've had with mine, the AC makes a clicking noise from under the glovebox when changing temps, my local Audi garage quoted me £1300 to replace a faulty blend door motor, I decided not to fix it because it happens rarely, and the dash needed to be out for the work so it would probably rattle when going back in. I've also had 3 front calliper failures due to seizing of the piston, one happened when I was on a road trip on the Isle of Skye, 700 miles away from home (the car is waiting to go back in to be fixed again on Wednesday). I think that I've just been incredibly unlucky with the brakes.

The driving experience from the S1 on back roads makes up for all of the hassle that mine has caused me. Bought the car with 27k miles and it is nearing 50k as of currently, no issues with the clutch other than when I bought it as the previous owner had a tuning box installed, which would occasionally cause clutch slip.

Nice car !!! I have owned mine for nearly 6 years and yeah they have a few little niggles but the driving experience makes putting up with the niggles very easy, most fun car to drive I have owned, can't see any reason to change it and hope it lasts at least another 6 years, enjoy !!!