New S3 - 1 Month In

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a month now since my new S3 arrived, thought I'd update on the experience so far.

First few hundred miles were fairly painful, running the car in and taking it easy. But it was clear that even after a few hundred miles it was loosening up a bit, and now after 1200 miles it's feeling much better. It's pretty quick and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance it offers, but even more impressed by the way it holds on to corners in the wet and dry. I wont bother going into what else is on offer on the car as most of you will already be aware, but in general i'm impressed, apart from a couple of things.

The iPod connection facility is pretty lame to say the least, i'm very dissapointed with it's functionality and regret paying over £100 for that.

The interior boot light has stopped working already, which bugs me, i'm tempted to fix it myself but then I also think that giving how much I shelled out for the car, that it shouldn't be me that fixes it.

I was washing the car today and noticed that the o/s rear light unit has water in it, this again is pretty annoying.

Has anybody else had these "teething problems" with a new A3/S3? I know I should go back to Audi and get it sorted but the thought of losing the car for a few days and the hassle pains me!

Even with the niggles it's been great so far, and it's turning out to be the all-rounder that I was after, great in all weather and holds its own in most situations. Glad I went for it.

I had the i-pod connection on my jetta, total waste of time and money!!

Yes I agree the ipod connector is absoute waste of time and money... the new AMi one looks to rectify this, but I just missed out on this...

Apart from the car getting nicked and recovered the only problem I have had so far (a year on) is a knocking on the steering...

This went in last week to be looked at and apparatly there is an internal article for the A3/TT about the top mounts needing lubrication... this was done and it seems to be good now! No charge of course!

Love the car.... shame so many pikeys have their eye on it!

Wait til you get to 25k miles and see if you need flywheel and DSG box changing like mine :motz:

Wait til you get to 25k miles and see if you need flywheel and DSG box changing like mine :motz:[/QUOTE

I have to admit that this concerns me, I have owned mine for almost 3 months and on a couple of occasions I have encountered what feels like clutch slip!! When it has occurred (approx 3 times) the DSG has corrected almost immediately and then it is ok, at first I thought I was imagining it but now i`m pretty sure it was clutch slip.
Another little gripe is the ignition barrel occasionally feels tight (almost like it needs lubricating!) but other than these little issues I am loving the car :icon_thumright:
Oh and maybe the constant requirment for cleaning is also annoying :)

Wait til you get to 25k miles and see if you need flywheel and DSG box changing like mine :motz:[/QUOTE

I have to admit that this concerns me, I have owned mine for almost 3 months and on a couple of occasions I have encountered what feels like clutch slip!! When it has occurred (approx 3 times) the DSG has corrected almost immediately and then it is ok, at first I thought I was imagining it but now i`m pretty sure it was clutch slip.
Another little gripe is the ignition barrel occasionally feels tight (almost like it needs lubricating!) but other than these little issues I am loving the car :icon_thumright:
Oh and maybe the constant requirment for cleaning is also annoying :)

My problem wasn't clutch slip

When i slow for a roundabout or something, and it goes into 2nd at about 10mph or so, i then accelerate, the revs would rise but no drive, then the car would thud into gear and be on its way

Not right, so having to replace the entire box :faint:

Could Beanoir retrofit AMI to his MY10 car to make his iPod experience better, or is it a massive job of re-wiring, module coding etc..? (as standard it is pitiful for the money - ours drives us mad).

Can't believe today with all the technology on offer it can be sold in this state as a pay option.

That question came to my mind last night actually Warren, I don't have RNSe though, so I guess that makes things a little bit on the tricky side?

That question came to my mind last night actually Warren, I don't have RNSe though, so I guess that makes things a little bit on the tricky side?

Hmm, I guess so. I'm not sure whether RNS-e is an AMI pre-requisite or not.

Part of me was deciding whether to chop our S3 in for a new 8P3 one with buckets, facelift RNS-e, AMI, new Haldex system, but for the money I'd have to throw in the pot it seems like the worng solution to some of my issues. A trip to that place in London where they retrofit that Alpine module to allow AMI type info on the RNS-e screen and a set of e-bay S3 buckets would be a lot cheaper!!

Hmm, I guess so. I'm not sure whether RNS-e is an AMI pre-requisite or not.

Part of me was deciding whether to chop our S3 in for a new 8P3 one with buckets, facelift RNS-e, AMI, new Haldex system, but for the money I'd have to throw in the pot it seems like the worng solution to some of my issues. A trip to that place in London where they retrofit that Alpine module to allow AMI type info on the RNS-e screen and a set of e-bay S3 buckets would be a lot cheaper!!
Im fairly certain that the RNS-e is a pre-requisite

from audi brochure
Audi Music Interface (AMI).​
Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices
including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video,
iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system, multi-function steering wheel and Driver’s
Information System, where fitted. It also replicates the iPod display on the audio screen and DIS, including
track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). Only in combination with

Satellite Navigation system – DVD-based

No problems with my Stronic, great gearbox. I wont get to find out long term though as the car goes 1st March as I'm going back to a 335d.

No problems with my Stronic, great gearbox. I wont get to find out long term though as the car goes 1st March as I'm going back to a 335d.

S3 not floating your boat? 335d is a lovely car, so I can see the attraction for a change.

Had mine for just over 2 years now and has been completely fault free (touch wood).

I'm also a little disapointed with the i-Pod dock and wish I'd specc'd the interior light pack instead but at least I'll know for next time now.

S3 is great but I sold a remapped 335d to get the S3 and miss the instant grunt of the mapped 35d. I must be getting old!