New S3 Carwow drag race

Baring in mind oor Glen has the AMG 45s so he's already come around to a bit of give and take lol A.K.A Audi's target audience

no buzz atm at all ... when is your car due mate ? Need something to liven things up

Reactions: Jassyo06
no buzz atm at all ... when is your car due mate ? Need something to liven things up
**** knows could be a fortnight or a month away not really bothered mate in a strange way it feels good not having a car to look after and pay/insure/road tax Audi finance,DVLA,Insurance company all owe me money especially Audi finance lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
**** knows could be a fortnight or a month away not really bothered mate in a strange way it feels good not having a car to look after and pay/insure/road tax Audi finance,DVLA,Insurance company all owe me money especially Audi finance lol

all those feelings will soon disappear once you get that call to say your cars on route or landed at the dealer :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
The Golf is stinking on the exterior
The new S3 looks nicer external to the Golf by a long way and i prefer the S3's interior to the Golf
I have to say that the S3 didn't do anything for me at first but I've seen a Saloon and tbh thought it looked a little chunky and mean, so it got the thumbs up. That interior though. I'm certainly no fan of the Golfs cabin but neither could I live with the S3's. Not really sure whether it's trying to be a Skoda or Seat !

Lol i'm laughing at all these replies on here bashing the 8Y. I owned two 8Vs both Daytona Grey in S line spec. I got my first in 2013 and it just felt so premium, the pop up screen was so good back in it's day. My most recent car is an S Line Q2 2.0 litre Quattro. The interior looks similar to the 8V but the quality has massively dropped on the door cars etc. It's also lost the excellent retractable screen. The Q2 has been a bit of a marmite car to me coming from the elegance of the 8V.
So recently I've begun to look at options to change and many reviews I see on youtube bash the 8Y interior and praise the M135i interior as having the quality of the previous A3 8V. Some good deals on the M135i persuaded me to go to a local BMW dealer and give it a go. I had a 24 hour test drive in it and although the quality is decent some things just aren't up to Audi standards. I then arranged a 24 hour test drive of an S3 from a local dealer. I came into expecting the interior quality to be worse than the M135i but how wrong I was.

Apart from the Mats and carpets I'd say everything else in the 8Y you touch is better quality. The climate controls buttons in the 8Y are much better than in the BMW. The gear stick although very different in the S3 is a very solid weighty piece of kit and feels much better quality than the more normal gear stick in the BM. Both have scratchy plastics on the lower door cards and low down but everything you touch in the S3 is premium quality. You don't tend to touch anything lower door unyil you're cleaning anyway. The screens are so much sharper and more responsive in the Audi compared to the M135i. I thought I might care about no MMI wheel but the touch screen works so well I found no issues without it. The centre console armrest is terrible in the BM, poorly damped and just doesn't feel god at all when comparing to the S3. The steering wheel in the M135i is good with it's thickness and leather but again the 8Y just has so much more premium buttons it's wheel. The cross stitched Bentley style black leather seats are a dream.

To get to my point the whole 8Y/S3 cabin imo just follows on from the quality in the 8V and for me it's a really good update. It's far better quality inside than my Q2 and I feel the same as the 8V it replaces but with the modern technological updates. I got the feeling of quality and premium straight away which has sadly been lacking in the Q2.

Getting on to the looks, I think it looks great and again doesn't move too far away from the 8V but this is a not a bad thing. Obviously the S3 has nice styling cues and it's the only 8Y I've looked at but for me it's a serious looker and much better looking than the m135i.

Sadly, monthly payment wise the M135i has much better offers at the moment and i'd pay £80-£90 a month more for a similar specced S3 than the M135i so I'm still torn on what to do. If money was no object i'd choose the S3 in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Ludus, springer, LesleyG and 3 others
Lol i'm laughing at all these replies on here bashing the 8Y. I owned two 8Vs both Daytona Grey in S line spec. I got my first in 2013 and it just felt so premium, the pop up screen was so good back in it's day. My most recent car is an S Line Q2 2.0 litre Quattro. The interior looks similar to the 8V but the quality has massively dropped on the door cars etc. It's also lost the excellent retractable screen. The Q2 has been a bit of a marmite car to me coming from the elegance of the 8V.
So recently I've begun to look at options to change and many reviews I see on youtube bash the 8Y interior and praise the M135i interior as having the quality of the previous A3 8V. Some good deals on the M135i persuaded me to go to a local BMW dealer and give it a go. I had a 24 hour test drive in it and although the quality is decent some things just aren't up to Audi standards. I then arranged a 24 hour test drive of an S3 from a local dealer. I came into expecting the interior quality to be worse than the M135i but how wrong I was.

Apart from the Mats and carpets I'd say everything else in the 8Y you touch is better quality. The climate controls buttons in the 8Y are much better than in the BMW. The gear stick although very different in the S3 is a very solid weighty piece of kit and feels much better quality than the more normal gear stick in the BM. Both have scratchy plastics on the lower door cards and low down but everything you touch in the S3 is premium quality. You don't tend to touch anything lower door unyil you're cleaning anyway. The screens are so much sharper and more responsive in the Audi compared to the M135i. I thought I might care about no MMI wheel but the touch screen works so well I found no issues without it. The centre console armrest is terrible in the BM, poorly damped and just doesn't feel god at all when comparing to the S3. The steering wheel in the M135i is good with it's thickness and leather but again the 8Y just has so much more premium buttons it's wheel. The cross stitched Bentley style black leather seats are a dream.

To get to my point the whole 8Y/S3 cabin imo just follows on from the quality in the 8V and for me it's a really good update. It's far better quality inside than my Q2 and I feel the same as the 8V it replaces but with the modern technological updates. I got the feeling of quality and premium straight away which has sadly been lacking in the Q2.

Getting on to the looks, I think it looks great and again doesn't move too far away from the 8V but this is a not a bad thing. Obviously the S3 has nice styling cues and it's the only 8Y I've looked at but for me it's a serious looker and much better looking than the m135i.

Sadly, monthly payment wise the M135i has much better offers at the moment and i'd pay £80-£90 a month more for a similar specced S3 than the M135i so I'm still torn on what to do. If money was no object i'd choose the S3 in a heartbeat.
Bentley styled seats....steady on there as they aint nothing like a Bentley seat....the so named Rhombus stitch design is far too fussy you....also forgot to mention all the cheap looking high gloss black plastic on the center console,dashboard the use of the old 8v steering wheel ...as for exterior design ...ie that front bumper/headlight area is oversized/out of proportion with rest of the car

Bentley styled seats....steady on there as they aint nothing like a Bentley seat....the so named Rhombus stitch design is far too fussy you....also forgot to mention all the cheap looking high gloss black plastic on the center console,dashboard the use of the old 8v steering wheel ...as for exterior design ...ie that front bumper/headlight area is oversized/out of proportion with rest of the car
Wow steady on you really have some hate there!

The Piano black plastic looked and felt classy to me even with fingerprints on. Nothing bad about the way it looks, it looks better than the 8V as it's evolved from it.

Have you even been in/near/driven the new S3 or does your hate just come from youtube videos?

Wow steady on you really have some hate there!

The Piano black plastic looked and felt classy to me even with fingerprints on. Nothing bad about the way it looks, it looks better than the 8V as it's evolved from it.

Have you even been in/near/driven the new S3 or does your hate just come from youtube videos?
I have driven the 8Y S3 saloon and l have owned a 2015 S3 sport back, 2018 face lift S3 saloon and driven most Audi S/RS models over the last 7 years plus l have driven the 135i many times and don't misinterpret my opinion with an emotion like hate as its not,its an opinion based on years of owning and driving Audi S/RS cars
You also missed out how awful the 8y S3 sounds the BMW sounds better and overall is better value for money plus its a more configurable car

Reactions: 8YARWY
Jassy is boring lets just ignore him
Ignore me l don't give a .....☆☆☆☆ but l have owned a couple of S3's so @Bigjase88 have you owned any 8v S3's ? and what's is your opinion on the car in comparison to the 8y S3
Then again if your ignoring me you'll not read this post

Ignore me l don't give a .....☆☆☆☆ but l have owned a couple of S3's so @Bigjase88 have you owned any 8v S3's ? and what's is your opinion on the car in comparison to the 8y S3
Then again if your ignoring me you'll not read this post
He’s right, you are quite boring :)

I Test drove the M135i and actually placed an order for one before cancelling when the S3 became available, I did like it but found it a bit dull to drive compared to the S3 but in terms of kit it felt like there was more in the BM, but it was slightly more **** to use, didn’t like the MMI as much. That was offset by the price, the S3 came in under £40k the BM was £42k and I didn’t want to pay the extra tax.
Fit and finish/quality though I didn’t think there was much in it and not getting into looks again - opinion!

Reactions: AdamInKent
The 8Y just has to many visual issues for me. A S3 8Y saloon went speeding past me the other day it looked like a 4 x 4 it was that high..

It's not an astongilshy bad car it's just nowhere near the competition IMO. Big let down from Audi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Haha

i have owned zero S3 8V’s, nada, none, diddly widdly squat.

the 8V S3 is nice and so is the 8Y, if i were to be gifted one from someone I would take either, if i was given the choice I would take the 8Y.

things move on can’t live in the past forever

and p.s if you want to have a willy waving competition mine is bigger

Right King Dong how has the 8y moved on...??? what does it have over the 8v FL car......sweet F.A. that's what... yes car design/technology moves on but these dont apply to the 8Y......it's a poorly executed face lifted car **** me Audi cant even get its act together with the well known issue's and l have never come across reading so many peeps wanting to reject an Audi model in my entire time on here...The 8Y A3/S3 has not had many returning customers from this large forum good reasons for this.....keep on topic kid

The 8Y just has to many visual issues for me. A S3 8Y saloon went speeding past me the other day it looked like a 4 x 4 it was that high..

It's not an astongilshy bad car it's just nowhere near the competition IMO. Big let down from Audi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
l was driving home tonight on the M8 and like you l saw a Mythos 8y s3 sport back in my rear view thought it was a small Hyundai SUV to begin with....=all the chrome on the over sized front grille...from the rear l dont have much issues with the design but it does give off that raised up off the road stance

Right King Dong how has the 8y moved on...??? what does it have over the 8v FL car......sweet F.A. that's what... yes car design/technology moves on but these dont apply to the 8Y......it's a poorly executed face lifted car **** me Audi cant even get its act together with the well known issue's and l have never come across reading so many peeps wanting to reject an Audi model in my entire time on here...The 8Y A3/S3 has not had many returning customers from this large forum good reasons for this.....keep on topic kid
Will do old timer

Haha

i have owned zero S3 8V’s, nada, none, diddly widdly squat.

the 8V S3 is nice and so is the 8Y, if i were to be gifted one from someone I would take either, if i was given the choice I would take the 8Y.

things move on can’t live in the past forever

and p.s if you want to have a willy waving competition mine is bigger
Crockett is at it again. We went though this a couple of months ago then he calmed down after admin stepped in.
Although we appreciate input from drivers of other cars, don't come on the 8Y section slagging a car off that you do not own and get yourself back onto the hairdressers section of the forum (do not mean to offend other TT drivers).

Reactions: viperfire and Bigjase88
Crockett is at it again. We went though this a couple of months ago then he calmed down after admin stepped in.
Although we appreciate input from drivers of other cars, don't come on the 8Y section slagging a car off that you do not own and get yourself back onto the hairdressers section of the forum (do not mean to offend other TT drivers).
Agreed if you don’t like it then move on.

It is boring.

Plus to be fair I do not think Audi will give a monkeys about the thoughts of a minority on an internet forum, what % sales comes from audi-sport.net globally

0.00001%

Reactions: viperfire
Right then chaps. Let's go back to being nice to each other and having a fun time.

This forum contributes a lot and it isn't all just about sales. And this goes for everyone anyone this, if you don't want to contribute to ASN in a good way to make it a place of great discussion - don't stay.

Reactions: Nige Smith

I am guessing that the large difference in monthlies was mainly due to BMWs much cheaper (2.9%) finance, as the list price for similar specced S3, M135i's is very similar? I just got an M135i with Pro Pack and the list price was about £37.5k. I think the basic list for the S3 is (or was) £37,900, so you could add a few options and still stay under £40k. I ordered a manual A3 Edition 1 back in January (didn't consider an S3 at the time), but cancelled the order after all the worrying unreliability reports on here and elsewhere. However, I cant believe that the S3 is immune. I was also considering a 118 M sport (before opting for the A3), but a recent post-lockdown test drive proved that it was woefully underpowered. I was persuaded to try the M135i and, wow, what a difference. Not surprising, I know, but a totally different car. The main local BMW dealer found a stock car in the UK, so I had the car within a couple of weeks. Job done. They also took my TTS (near the end of its finance agreement) in p/x, so zero hassle. People will have different opinions about the M135i exterior design (I obviously like it, although the A3/S3 is probably more stylish), but the interior is a dream. Great seats, brilliant infotainment system (with upgraded HK sound system), tactile switchgear, and everything just works. The A3/S3 interior is definitely much nicer than the mk8 Golf, but even Audi have gone a step too far with the touch screen mania. The new A3/S3 should have been a great success for Audi, but they seem to have shot themselves in the foot by releasing it too soon, so everyone so far seems to have got a "late beta version" of the car. Those working in software will know that means that the unfortunately customer ends up doing most of the testing..

Right then chaps. Let's go back to being nice to each other and having a fun time.

This forum contributes a lot and it isn't all just about sales. And this goes for everyone anyone this, if you don't want to contribute to ASN in a good way to make it a place of great discussion - don't stay.
Slightly off topic - do forgive me.

Can you help me out with my account? I can never seem to initiate and direct messages to others and have looked through the normal sections and methods that others use to send messages.

Possibly an issue with my account?

I have driven the 8Y S3 saloon and l have owned a 2015 S3 sport back, 2018 face lift S3 saloon and driven most Audi S/RS models over the last 7 years plus l have driven the 135i many times and don't misinterpret my opinion with an emotion like hate as its not,its an opinion based on years of owning and driving Audi S/RS cars
You also missed out how awful the 8y S3 sounds the BMW sounds better and overall is better value for money plus its a more configurable car
Ok I do apologise.

The M135i is far better value but the quality isn't as good as the 8Y S3 - after spending 24 hours in both, if it was i'd be an m135i owner by now no brainer. I prefer the S3's on rails feeling whilst driving also, it feels much more planted and solid on the road. The M135i is far less planted and much more of a lout. Coupled with the fact that the S3 is faster and i'm not sure if I can bring myself to go to the Munich brand.

I've been around Audi sports all my life, my father had the original Audi Quattro coupe, an RS2, S8 (Ronin), RS6 (V10), his last car before he passed was a 2014 S4 Avant.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AdamInKent
I am guessing that the large difference in monthlies was mainly due to BMWs much cheaper (2.9%) finance, as the list price for similar specced S3, M135i's is very similar? I just got an M135i with Pro Pack and the list price was about £37.5k. I think the basic list for the S3 is (or was) £37,900, so you could add a few options and still stay under £40k. I ordered a manual A3 Edition 1 back in January (didn't consider an S3 at the time), but cancelled the order after all the worrying unreliability reports on here and elsewhere. However, I cant believe that the S3 is immune. I was also considering a 118 M sport (before opting for the A3), but a recent post-lockdown test drive proved that it was woefully underpowered. I was persuaded to try the M135i and, wow, what a difference. Not surprising, I know, but a totally different car. The main local BMW dealer found a stock car in the UK, so I had the car within a couple of weeks. Job done. They also took my TTS (near the end of its finance agreement) in p/x, so zero hassle. People will have different opinions about the M135i exterior design (I obviously like it, although the A3/S3 is probably more stylish), but the interior is a dream. Great seats, brilliant infotainment system (with upgraded HK sound system), tactile switchgear, and everything just works. The A3/S3 interior is definitely much nicer than the mk8 Golf, but even Audi have gone a step too far with the touch screen mania. The new A3/S3 should have been a great success for Audi, but they seem to have shot themselves in the foot by releasing it too soon, so everyone so far seems to have got a "late beta version" of the car. Those working in software will know that means that the unfortunately customer ends up doing most of the testing..
Yes the rate is very low and they're also putting in something like £4500 dealer deposit contribution which helps.

The M135i is a very nice car mate and you'll be happy with it. I spent 24 hours in both literally 1 after the other, dropped the M135i back at 1pm and was in the S3 by 2pm. It really helped me evaluate both against each other.

As previously mentioned coming from an 8v A3 and then Q2 with the mmi wheel I found the 8Y touch screen no issue. I even found my self using the touch screen more in the M135i (it is nice to have the two options mind). The actual touch screen in the 8Y is just so much sharper and nicer to look at than in the M135i imo. The digital dials, although bigger in the M135i, just seem clearer and sharper in the S3. I found the gear stick harder to use in the M135i when going to reverse or park etc.

The things I like about the M135i is the ability to add more kit like the automated boot and electric seats and still keep it under 40k. Even speccing black leather instead of Alcantara (a must for me with a 6 year old) still came under 40k. The S3 you can't get either electric seats or the automated boot unless you go the Vorsprung model which is well above £40k.

On a night the ambient lighting in the S3 is just a different level to what's offered in the M135i. Another annoyance on the M135i is the HHA brake, in the S3 it comes on very easily, in the M135i, you have to hit brake pedal up to 2/3 times or extremely hard before it registers. Everything in the S3 is for me just smoother and more solid, that includes the overall interior and the way it drives. It' s better looking as well.

No matter though the M135i is still in my thoughts, it's just so much cheaper, higher specced, interior quality high and still a very fast and fun car to drive. Do I spend the extra or change to a brand that i'm very unfamiliar with but get more spec?

****BTW if you think i'm some blinded Audi fan boy have a read of my posts about the Q2 in 2018 when I got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamInKent
No matter though the M135i is still in my thoughts, it's just so much cheaper, higher specced, interior quality high and still a very fast and fun car to drive. Do I spend the extra or change to a brand that i'm very unfamiliar with but get more spec?

****BTW if you think i'm some blinded Audi fan boy have a read of my posts about the Q2 in 2018 when I got it.
Not at all. I had an S3 about 10 years ago, and a TTS prior to the M135i, so I do like Audi's. Would have probably gone that way if not for all the reported problems with the 8Y A3. I hate unreliability in cars, and especially repeated visits back the the dealership. Life is just too short for all that crap. I will take a slightly lesser car that is 100% reliable any day of the week. To be fair, the TTS was just that (absolutely no problems in just under 3 years), but I'm not so confident about the new A3. So far, not regretting my decision to 'jump ship'. The M135i is a very well thought out car, where everything just works. I am new to modern auto boxes, so the torque converter in the BMW seems Ok to me. Would have preferred a nice slick manual box, but those days are sadly gone as far as German hot hatches are concerned.

Reactions: AlS3BE and viperfire

Can you help me out with my account? I can never seem to initiate and direct messages to others and have looked through the normal sections and methods that others use to send messages.

@Sandra is the awesome person to help with this :)

You should be good now .

Reactions: auzzam_crd
Not at all. I had an S3 about 10 years ago, and a TTS prior to the M135i, so I do like Audi's. Would have probably gone that way if not for all the reported problems with the 8Y A3. I hate unreliability in cars, and especially repeated visits back the the dealership. Life is just too short for all that ****. I will take a slightly lesser car that is 100% reliable any day of the week. To be fair, the TTS was just that (absolutely no problems in just under 3 years), but I'm not so confident about the new A3. So far, not regretting my decision to 'jump ship'. The M135i is a very well thought out car, where everything just works. I am new to modern auto boxes, so the torque converter in the BMW seems Ok to me. Would have preferred a nice slick manual box, but those days are sadly gone as far as German hot hatches are concerned.

how are you getting in with the 135? how do you find moving from Audi world to bmw, interior, exterior, MMI/ Idrive etc. I’m on my 4th Audi and I’m finding it difficult to move away from them and the new s3 and golf 8 r just didn’t tickle my fancy no matter how good they are at launching/straight line speed.
What spec did you get?
I am very tempted with one and by the way second hand prices of the s3 is going I can get into one and lower my monthlies compared to the s3.