New S3 - Emulsion Under Oil Filler Cap

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Well after washing the car today I did the usual routine of checking the fluid levels, decided more oil was needed (I was told by the dealer that during the running period it was likely to use oil).

I undid the oil filler cap and discovered it was covered in creamy white emulsion, now from experience of older cars I know this can either spell danger or may not be much to worry about as sometimes it is just condensation and not always a head issue.

I was wondering if other people have experienced this on theirs, especially at similar mileage, which on mine is now 1,300.

Cheers!

Yeah its just short distance condensation, the 2.0TFSi in all guises suffers from it. If you take it on a good run and check again it wont be there!

Yeah mine does it too. Only drive it on weekends so must be condensation...

Thats a relief, i'll keep an eye on it, but thanks for the responses guys :icon_thumright:

As below really - my mates S3 does it as he works away and barely uses it.

Take it for a good long blast and it should clear.

What they said. Mine does it as well - scared me to death the first time I took the filler cap off as never had a car that does it before.

mine does this too , apparently fitting a catch can system stops this

mine does this too , apparently fitting a catch can system stops this

I was hoping this, but as I work from home and the car doesn't sometimes move for a week, it doesn't. Mine is still as bad even with the can system, I still get condensation in the can too, but until I've blatted the car it looks bad enough to turn your stomach.

I was hoping this, but as I work from home and the car doesn't sometimes move for a week, it doesn't. Mine is still as bad even with the can system, I still get condensation in the can too, but until I've blatted the car it looks bad enough to turn your stomach.

Mine has reduced with the catch can but I do a lot of miles anyway (about 400 per week) so I do not suffer much from the build up of moisture under the oil cap. TBH I am beginning to doubt the quality of the baffle in the BSH can and am dubious to how much separation it is achieving. I inspected my return hose from the can back to the PCV manifold yesterday and could still see some gunk build up in it.

I am considering moving over to the Forge can or maybe running the Forge can with the BSH setup if possible.

Mine has reduced with the catch can but I do a lot of miles anyway (about 400 per week) so I do not suffer much from the build up of moisture under the oil cap. TBH I am beginning to doubt the quality of the baffle in the BSH can and am dubious to how much separation it is achieving. I inspected my return hose from the can back to the PCV manifold yesterday and could still see some gunk build up in it.

I am considering moving over to the Forge can or maybe running the Forge can with the BSH setup if possible.

I have changed the BSH inlet manifold cap for a Forge silicone hose / plug, then changed the BSH rubber hosing for the Forge flouro-silicone hoses and clamps, so all I have left is the BSH PCV plate and the can. The holes in the BSH plate don't really match up that well, and like you I believe the baffles in the can are 'so-so'. Better than a OEM PCV, but how much?

I am becoming slightly pained with the upgrade of intakes / catch cans, but as we make so many purchases unsighted, and occasionally from the other side of the world(!), we place a lot of trust in the manufacturing.

It's almost like we could do with a specific section within each car specific section for aftermarket modification reviews.

I have changed the BSH inlet manifold cap for a Forge silicone hose / plug, then changed the BSH rubber hosing for the Forge flouro-silicone hoses and clamps, so all I have left is the BSH PCV plate and the can. The holes in the BSH plate don't really match up that well, and like you I believe the baffles in the can are 'so-so'. Better than a OEM PCV, but how much?
Have you got any pics of what you've changed? The BSH hoses look a larger diameter than the Forge ones?

I am becoming slightly pained with the upgrade of intakes / catch cans, but as we make so many purchases unsighted, and occasionally from the other side of the world(!), we place a lot of trust in the manufacturing.

It's almost like we could do with a specific section within each car specific section for aftermarket modification reviews.

100% agree with that. A reviews section would make things much easier to find on here.

Have you got any pics of what you've changed? The BSH hoses look a larger diameter than the Forge ones?

I don't but I'll do some. There is a thread somewhere about what I've changed / part no's

100% agree with that. A reviews section would make things much easier to find on here.

Who would we need to speak to? Dave, Staz, or 'FactionOne'?

i get the creamy residue on my oil cap also, i have the forge catch can and i can honestly say it does nothing to reduce the build up on the oil cap. Its just condensation as mentioned above nothing to worry about.
Whilst speaking about catch cans - i have to empty mine just about every month the forge can is a good bit larger than the BSH, as the BSH is smaller you guys must be draining it all the time.

Once a week for me although I could probably leave it longer if I wanted.

That must be a pain the in the rear, once a month bugs me lol how are your hose's standing up with slackening off the clamps and re-tightening them once a week? iv noticed mine starting to wear ever so slightly, will probably need to change the hoses once every 12months. Once the warmer weather comes in the amount of waste will drop as there will be less condensation.

Davie

how are your hose's standing up with slackening off the clamps and re-tightening them once a week? iv noticed mine starting to wear ever so slightly, will probably need to change the hoses once every 12months.
Davie

Let me know if you guys need some spare's as a temporary interim (BSH ones used for about a month). Happy to send them for the cost of postage only as I have now changed mine.

If you change them for the Forge upgrade pipes make sure they are the FLUORO SILICONE hoses as these resist erosion from oil, which standard silicone hoses will not. About £40, and you need 1 metre.

Let me know if you guys need some spare's as a temporary interim (BSH ones used for about a month). Happy to send them for the cost of postage only as I have now changed mine.

If you change them for the Forge upgrade pipes make sure they are the FLUORO SILICONE hoses as these resist erosion from oil, which standard silicone hoses will not. About £40, and you need 1 metre.

i have the forge catch can so it comes with FLUORO SILICONE hoses, i will probably get away with trimming the end of the hose when it eventually wears from clamping.

Davie

My hoses are showing slight signs of wear from the clamps. What is the ID of the Forge hoses? The BSH ones are 16mm iirc.

i read lots of not so good stories about the bsh kit so i sold it on before fitting , i had got the oem clamps would these help with wearing hoses ?