New S3 Imminent?

gdwood

Reaction score
Got my increasingly-ancient S3 serviced today. Speaking to senior Service Tech whose background is with Audi DTM Team and apparently has good Audi connections in der Vaterland.

Said Tech is convinced that the announcement of the new S3 is imminent, that it will have a 2.0 litre four with "about 240bhp", and that it will be a belter.

Bit surprised about the 2.0 litre four, and 240bhp seems a bit on the low side to me, given the output of recent "S" cars.

Anyone care to comment? (puts on tin hat and hides behind sofa.....)

well i read somewhere that audi have pulled out of the horse power race and will be concentrating on weight reduction as is bmw and mercedes.

sounds good to me though as the likes of a 3.2 litre wasnt too appealing especially with petrol prices.

re. the weight reduction, I read that Audi are concentrating on distributing weight 50/50 front and rear so as to be balanced like a BMW. Plus the plan is to make Quattro alot more biased to rear wheel drive - the first car that will showcase all these innovations will be the all new A4 in 2007.

Surely there's no point in making an S3 with less horsepower than the current 3.2???? That has 250bhp does it not?

Someone's talking **** if you ask me.

Why not? If it goes faster, handles better, etc etc then it actually doesn't matter what the numbers are.

Do you see Caterham owners thinking "oh now I haven't got 250bhp therefore a 3.2 A3 is the better car". I think not.

Yes but you would think a flagship model ie the S3 would have the most power over the lesser models....

Well, there's talk of a twin-turbo 2.0 FSI woth 280BHP in the pipe line for the next Audi TT - this would be the unit of choice for the next S3 imo, but probably with 'only' 270BHP

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's talk of a twin-turbo 2.0 FSI woth 280BHP in the pipe line for the next Audi TT - this would be the unit of choice for the next S3 imo, but probably with 'only' 270BHP

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that JoJo, or maybe they have the techology to apply the super charged turbo to a 2.0 litre lump, in a similiar way to the new Golf GT 1.4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

twin-turbo 2.0 in-line four-no chance.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but you would think a flagship model ie the S3 would have the most power over the lesser models....

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we talking about flagship models or the fastest/sportiest as they don't have to be the same.

In the current TT line up you have the flagship (most expensive 3.2 TT) and the less powerful fastest/sportiest model the quattro sport.

If Audi did it for the TT, why not the S3? So it doesn't really matter if I "think a flagship model ie the S3 would have the most power over the lesser models" as Audi have already demonstrated they don't always follow your thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
twin-turbo 2.0 in-line four-no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

The only way I can see Audi making a twin turbo 4, would be if it was similar to the recent BMW small and large turbo to combat lag, they would not fit two similar sized turbos just doesn't make sense.

I think scotty has a good point about the direction Audi is going, but I also think the new S3 will need to have more than 240BHP as I would think the S badge means unlike the TT Quattro it will need to clearly be the best and they will need to justify the extra cost the S will clearly have - If they make one that is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As to Vagmans comment about the weight distribution of new audis I think you'll find the RS4 already follows those, the car is rear biased with better weight distribution - can't remember how good though.

Too make a twin turbo inline 4 with 2l then too make it worth while the second turbo would have too be huge as we know that 300+bhp with virtually no-lag is easily acheivable.Bmw have the advantage of 3.5l and two banks of cylinders.

[ QUOTE ]
Are we talking about flagship models or the fastest/sportiest as they don't have to be the same.

In the current TT line up you have the flagship (most expensive 3.2 TT) and the less powerful fastest/sportiest model the quattro sport.

If Audi did it for the TT, why not the S3? So it doesn't really matter if I "think a flagship model ie the S3 would have the most power over the lesser models" as Audi have already demonstrated they don't always follow your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely the 'S' models are both the flagship AND fastest/sportiest. That's always been the case before.

They're not going to produce the next S3 (if they ever make one) as a stripped out lightweight model, that's not Audi's style for the S. Sure the TT has stripped out lightweight, but let's face it, it's not supposed to be an S is it?

Going back to the original post, the new Seat leon Cupra will have a 240 TFSI engine, sound familiar anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Going back to the original post, the new Seat leon Cupra will have a 240 TFSI engine, sound familiar anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thick plottens...

...And of course if that was the case for the S3... might it have a little bit more grunt in allowance for the quattro gubbins this time?

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Surely the 'S' models are both the flagship AND fastest/sportiest. That's always been the case before.

They're not going to produce the next S3 (if they ever make one) as a stripped out lightweight model, that's not Audi's style for the S. Sure the TT has stripped out lightweight, but let's face it, it's not supposed to be an S is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Flagship models" are normally the most expensive. Look at the order Audi list them and you'll see the 3.2 as top of the tree (not saying it's true but this is how they're marketed).

You're right about the quattro sport. It's not meant to be a S. Standard 225 models are according to Audi the S model (in all but name).

I'm just baseing my comments about what to expect from the S3 on information I got from a contact about 12-18 months ago. I nor most other people really know what they'll bring out.

[ QUOTE ]

You're right about the quattro sport. It's not meant to be a S. Standard 225 models are according to Audi the S model (in all but name).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry scoTTy but you've confused me with the above line ? Do you mean the 225 TT is classed as the s model ?

They are not badged S models but I was told long ago that they were considered an S model.

Since it's an S3 in a party frock it makes sense.