New S3 or Golf R32? Help!!

gdwood

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a little debate!

I have owned my S3 since 2000, and was looking forward to replacing it with the new version when it comes out, even though I'm getting well p'd off with the length of time Audi is taking to launch the new car. I mean, there hasn't been a new S3 on sale for nearly 3 years now, for goodness' sake! (Do they want to lose customers?)

Anyway, yesterday I wandered into the local VW dealer whilst on a mission to assist my Polo-owning mother. Big mistake. In there was a brand new R32 Golf, with all the options (including DSG, which I wanted on the new S3 but guess what, Audi aren't offering at launch!!) Temptation got the better of me, and I got a test drive. Now, I've always been a fan of V6 engines, and I was disappointed when Audi announced that the new S3 would be a 4-cylinder. The R32 reminded me why. It was simply awesome. Bags of torque, great handling, and great noise from the engine. I always thought the S3 had one of the best driving environments of any car I've ever driven, but it was beaten by the R32. The Recaro seats were amazing (much grippier and sportier than the Recaros in the S3), the driving position and instruments were spot-on, and overall it just felt a bigger, roomier, more substantial car than my current S3 (which feels small by comparison although I know the figures say it's not really that much smaller), and from what I've seen from the spy pictures, the new S3 too. Also, the steering wheel looked like it had come from a race car; one of the nicest I've ever used, particularly in "Tiptronic" mode.

I am now in serious doubt as to where my next car will come from. I had previously been eagerly waiting for the new S3 not wanting anything else. Now (and I know this is utter heresy from a dyed-in-the-wool S3 fan, and I can't quite believe I'm saying it) the R32 has become a serious contender for my cash. It appears to me that a fully-specced R32 (with a V6 3.2 engine) is not likely to be much different in price from what I was anticipating paying for a fully-specced new S3 (with a 4-cylinder 2-litre engine)

As usual when I find myself in a quandry like this, I try to list the pros and cons.

"Pros" in favour of the R32 include: V6 engine, power and performance likely to be very similar to S3, car feels bigger and more substantial than S3, great steering wheel, lots of standard kit for the money, likely value for money for this as against a smaller-engined S3, value for money for VW badge as against Audi badge (where both use the same parts bin), much quicker delivery time (even considering current 6-month plus waiting list for R32) bearing in mind that the S3 is not launched yet and there will be a further wait for the DSG option (if it's coming at all)

"Cons": Not an Audi (but I could get over this with the right counselling!), having to deal with VW service departments, slight concern about possible "boy racer" image of R32, Sat-Nav option doesn't include TV tuner option, no BOSE option, leather option very expensive.

God, I wish I hadn't set foot in that VW dealership. I thought I knew what I wanted, but now I'm not sure. A Golf R32 V6 3.2 DSG in 6 months, or continue to wait for an S3 2.0 DSG which could be 12 months away. What do you think? Please help!!

If you are in the position...buy the R32.
It's a fine, fine car.

If the S3 comes out...if it is better to drive than the R32 (unlikely...but possible) worry about it then.

If you buy the 'right' R32 now, you'll have a year to enjoy it...before you have to make a decision.
And it will still be worth good money, if you need to chop it in.

If the new S3 is disapointing, then you have had a full year of one of the best sounding cars on the go at the minute...

Personally, I value the way a car makes me feel much more than a badge, or option list.
It sounds like the R32 is pressing the right buttons with you...so why the hell not?

Live for the moment...you can always change it for an S3 later on...if you really need to.

I'm still not convinced there will be a new S3 to be honest, until I see one at a motorshow actually advertised as the next S3 with firm details I'll be sitting on my fence.

I'd also agree if you like the car and you can afford it why not buy it now then think about an S3 when / if it comes out?

Out of interest, how does the R32 compare to the 3.2 Quattro A3? I've never driven either so I don't know. I much prefer the A3 over the new golf but suspect the R32 is probably a better drive.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not against R32s but I prefer the older shape, the new shape looks a bit Dinky in my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of either to look at, to be honest.

The old R32 looked good from the front...boy racer from the back, and the seats were awful for someone of my size - the S3s Recaros were much better.
The Anniversary Golf looked better in my view...

The New R32 looks OK...but that's all.
driving position is superb though...but it's a bit of a bland looker in my view. I Don't like the grille...or the wheels.

The new A3 is also a frumpy old hector...so it's no use looking there for inspiration, in my view.

Damn fine car though the A3 3.2q is...I'd struggle to pay the money for something so bland...even though they are quick enough.

The new R32 is a real drivers car...but for me, although they sound excellent and go well...you can but an arguably better looking car and arguably a better driving car for much less money, from the same range.
I'd have a bright red new GTI, with a few options..and pocket the difference.
But that's just me...

If I wanted a stealthy looking, great driving car with a V6...it'd be the R32.

[ QUOTE ]

The new A3 is also a frumpy old hector...so it's no use looking there for inspiration, in my view.

Damn fine car though the A3 3.2q is...I'd struggle to pay the money for something so bland...even though they are quick enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Oettingering it, that makes it look a little more interesting...

Mmm... my only thing against the v6 is they are thirsty.

IN defence of the new S3 - it is going to have virtually the same setup as the R32 with regards to suspension, body etc and so I think it wil be a great car. If it does come out with a 4cyl it will be lighter and no doubt quicker - and lighter on the pocket.

I had a look round a new R32 when at the dealers and boy oh boy did it look great, the interiour is gorgeous, the sound incredible... it pushed my buttons alright!! But I think Ess-Three has a point... I would probably take a MKV GTI with things like DSG etc and pocket the difference... infact find a slightly used one so I dont suffer the huge immediate depreciation - then wait a while to see what tickles my fancy once the new S3 come out. Or of course stick with the old one - still a cracking car!

[ QUOTE ]
IN defence of the new S3 - it is going to have virtually the same setup as the R32 with regards to suspension, body etc and so I think it wil be a great car. If it does come out with a 4cyl it will be lighter and no doubt quicker - and lighter on the pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know, I've still seen NO official information from Audi regarding the car?

And I strongly doubt if there is an S3 it will be cheaper than either the R32 or the 3.2v6 A3.

I have the same dilemma. I currently have the S3 up for sale and very nealry just handed over my £1000 deposit on an R32 until i visited my Audi dealer on saturday after the VW showroom.

The sales guy i always deal with said the S3 is available to order following its september launch and they have already spec'd up their demo in some whacky orange i cant remember the name of (wasnt papaya) and 19" alloys etc etc.

He said he had just recently returned from germany where the launch date was confirmed but he knew too little in my opinion for this to be factual.

I rekon the new R32 looks hideous especially the grill and rear exhausts. My GF loves it however and it is primarily for her so she has a big say. I personally think the GTI looks far far better esp on the 18's in solid black but she wants the 32.

I personally think the S3 will be at least £28k and more likely £32k and again be worth the same as an R32 in three years time.

Were going to buy the R32 and if the S3 becomes a necessity then i'll chop it in for a 6mth old S3 and save £5k on list as i wont be bitten again.

Im sure that the S3 engine will be better than the lardy underpowered V6 as its said to be a 265hp 2.0 FSI T. Now if thats derived from a larger Turbo c.f the GTi we should gain another 50hp from the chip tuners, which is more like it.

I have no doubt that it will be under braked and heavy as **** and also handle like a wet dream and require us to raid the R32 parts bin again as Audi are affraid of producing a car that will get the flat cap brigade complaining about a slightly harsh ride.

Thats because 90% of the audi market is now aimed at old giffers as they are becomeing comparitively too expensive in the bang for bucks stakes. Well i guess they always have been really.

My S3 was £28,500 and is now worth less than a similar aged/mileage R32 that cost nearer £24k. I should have bought the R32 last time i rekon, so i think i may get my order in now.

BTW, did VW tell you that each dealer is only allocated 6 R32's a year??? I can't see this being the case as i've already seen quite a few on the roads.