New S3 or ??

cjwardy

Reaction score
Morning All,

After your advice & recommendations...

So I currently drive a 2018 S3 Sportback (pre OPF). It's on a lease deal & at the end of the year she goes, so I'll be looking to replace her.
My dilemma is this.... what with?

I'm a photographer based in & around London & the SE doing approx 12k PA. I have quite a bit of gear so do end up having to put some of it on the back seats on occasion. I have a couple of kids who are 2 & 6 so the rear seats are regularly used. This isn't the main family car though as my wife drives a new Q3.

The deal I have in place with the lease company is very good. Business lease at £330 per month before tax on 15k PA. I'm looking to up this dependent on the car by another £100 approx a month if I have to.

So this leaves the big question.... what next?

I've been Audi for over 15 years now so find it hard to come away from the brand. BUT should I look elsewhere?

Do I go for the new S3 Saloon? Q5? Q3? Q7? A6 Avant Black Edition? A4 Avant Vorsprung or saloon?

Or Golf R? BMW M340i? Merc A35?

Tell me about your experiences with any of the above and any cars you'd recommend that I've not thought about so far.

All advice welcome

Thanks
Chris

Do you want and/or need the 300bhp?

I have owned an A35, an S3 saloon and I currently have a Golf GTI TCR. But my main criteria has always been a fast, fun good looking car. I don’t need space on a regular basis, and my rear seats are rarely used.

An M135i should definitely been on your list if a hot hatch is your think, well equipped, quick and some good deals from BMW across the range at the moment.

I do enjoy having the 300bhp. My fear would be if I downgrade performance I'll end up regretting it I guess.

How did you find the A35?

I really like the look of the M135i from behind, but am so unsure on that front end! Good call though.... I'll add it onto the list

Thanks
Chris

Reactions: Chris4410
You definitely get more for your money with VW, just with a slightly less well polished interior.

Have you considered Mazda? They have recently upped their game on the fit and finish of their latest models and they pay similar levels of attention to design detail as do VW/Audi.

I do enjoy having the 300bhp. My fear would be if I downgrade performance I'll end up regretting it I guess.

How did you find the A35?

I really like the look of the M135i from behind, but am so unsure on that front end! Good call though.... I'll add it onto the list

Thanks
Chris

I had a lot of problems with my A35, if I hadn't I would still have it. Mine was yellow with the full aero kit and every option it came with, absolutely loved it but the issues were too bad to keep it.

I test drove an M135i and really liked it, the only thing against it for me was by adding the options I wanted it was working out very expensive for a hot hatch.

I watched a few videos of the new GTI clubsport and I would choose it over the R.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I’ve just got an M235i, I know it’s a marmite car but looks much better in the flesh and a much more engaging drive than my old S3 was.