New S3 Prices?? Confusion

Phil_T

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking from Audi they start at 27K? if so why do 2nd hand newish ones seem to go for more? & on the below link they start at 25k new!!

Then I have read about this site http://www.autoebid.com/index.asp where for 27k I can get a brand new one with recaro buckets & bose, How does that work if it is dealerships competing against each other to get me the right price? surely they would be loosing money?

Any help guys?

Hi Phil_T, welcome to the forum.

The reason some second hand (nearly new) S3's are listed with prices in excess of the 'new' price will be due to the optional equipment on-board at a guess. A fully loaded S3 will retail for more than 30k as new...

When looking at the second hand ones look at which factory options they are coming with and they might go some way toward justifying the extra cost.

Last edited:
You also have to look at availability and the price to change. It could be several months building time if you order brand new so an Audi dealer could price high knowing that some people want a car there and then. Also a higher initial price gives some bargaining power, i.e they can reduce the price to suck you in. Your PX may also affect the price, dealers tend to give a higher px value on a car if the one being purchased is at a higher price. Judge the overall cost on the cost to change

I recently had to spend nearly three hours sitting in the showroom waiting for my car...
The obvious thing you notice is there were 20+ people working there. 4 salesmen who didn't see a customer in those 3 hours. receptionists (3) office staff ( dozen or more) service managers (3) and gofers !! ( 5-6)

then there were car cleaners, delivery drivers, spares desk people... and so on. this adds up to many £100k in wages a year and non of these people actually produce a service that is paid for like a mechanic..

This is why your car cost you £30k and £150 an hour to service. Look in a skoda or ford showroom and you dont get the luxury lounge, internet points, and coffee bar as well as all these staff and of coarse your car is several thousand pounds cheaper and with all the extra's that Audi dont fit !! i mean, extra for decent interior lights !!! extra for auto lights and wipers ? Extra for a half decent amp !! come on, its a Bl*&^dy £30k car !!!

The second hand values on the S3 also confuse me as they are the same if not more than what I paid for mine brand new at the dealers last year. Tempted to sell mine and go for another S3 but in Sprint Blue and buckets...

My God reading this thread has seriously depressed me!

Here are the 2010 S3 prices for Ireland:

S3 (3dr) starting FROM €49,000 that's £44,690.

S3 Sportback starting FROM €50,000 that's £45,590.

And these prices supposedly represent a 9.8% average reduction across the range for 2010.

If the value of the pound doesn't go back up soon we'll be looking at similar prices too!

It's (not) funny how a 2nd hand nearly new fully loaded S3 is worth 30 grand plus, but as a px, my optional equipment is worth jack.

I begged the same question with a dealership when I was looking around. A near identical spec car was approx 1.5K more than a new order (including discounts) and the dealers response was certain buyers in the market weren't prepared to wait 3\4 months for delivery of a car and something available on the forecourt was more appealing. Cobblers if you ask me but that's what I was told. Anyhow, I bought my S3 SB via autobid. Not bad service and don't forget if they don't honour the selling price, you'll get your booking feee back. Autobids recommendation is to enter an auction period of 2 days but I went for the full 10 working days and its a bit like ebay, a few sporadic bids come in but you dont get an awful until the closing hours.

Happy to answer any questions of the autobid experience.

I begged the same question with a dealership when I was looking around. A near identical spec car was approx 1.5K more than a new order (including discounts) and the dealers response was certain buyers in the market weren't prepared to wait 3\4 months for delivery of a car and something available on the forecourt was more appealing. Cobblers if you ask me but that's what I was told. Anyhow, I bought my S3 SB via autobid. Not bad service and don't forget if they don't honour the selling price, you'll get your booking feee back. Autobids recommendation is to enter an auction period of 2 days but I went for the full 10 working days and its a bit like ebay, a few sporadic bids come in but you dont get an awful until the closing hours.

Happy to answer any questions of the autobid experience.

I used Autobids as a bargaining tool to the local dealer to beat it. 12.5% discount was the result with delivery 1st March as required. If i'd have took it in January i could have got a further £350 discount.

I used Autobids as a bargaining tool to the local dealer to beat it. 12.5% discount was the result with delivery 1st March as required. If i'd have took it in January i could have got a further £350 discount.

That's an incredible discount. More than covers the VAT rise. I'm looking at a 10 plate S3 but was planning to place an order in nearer Dec/Jan or is that cutting it fine? I just don't want it to sit in storage if it's built ahead of schedule (unlikely I know).

That's an incredible discount. More than covers the VAT rise. I'm looking at a 10 plate S3 but was planning to place an order in nearer Dec/Jan or is that cutting it fine? I just don't want it to sit in storage if it's built ahead of schedule (unlikely I know).

Late November ordering ( depending on spec ) should be ok for 1st March delivery. I ordered early as i'm either away on buisness or vacation for most of the following 2 months.

I also didn't expect it being that easy to get him to a deal.............only took 5 mins.

I couldv'e had my spec in january rather than March for a further £350 discount.........wasn't enough to tempt me.

Blimey, that's cracking! I managed to get 11.5% using Autoebid. I did wave the evidence under dealership noses but some of them were not interested or unable to match. - especially M25audi. I would avoid them like the plague as they are far too sent up their own kybers....

Were the bids from more or less local dealers, or were they nationwide?

Mine was nationwide - during the bidding process it doesn't state what the dealership (only a dealer id) is until the end of the auction

No, its http://www.autoebid.com/

Cheers KKP

Blimey, that's cracking! I managed to get 11.5% using Autoebid. I did wave the evidence under dealership noses but some of them were not interested or unable to match. - especially M25audi. I would avoid them like the plague as they are far too sent up their own kybers....

Cheers KKP

Yeah, Autobid works out at around that because of the £300+ charge. I waved the printout under my dealers nose and said they get that from Audi so beat it without the charge............and he did.

Oh and there's almost certainly a price increase before March so effectively the discount will be more like 15%+ really.

Well I couldnt be bothered to wait over 12weeks for a new one so ended up putting a deposit down yesterday on the below.

Ibis White 59plate 3 door
Tints
6 Cd Auto Changer
Bose
GSM Phone Prep
Light & Rain Pack
Rear Parking Sensors

Cant wait to pick it up after having all the problems ive had since Jan when I bought a brand new MK5 Golf R32 VW have finally refunded all my money as they cant fix it.

Well I couldnt be bothered to wait over 12weeks for a new one so ended up putting a deposit down yesterday on the below.

Ibis White 59plate 3 door
Tints
6 Cd Auto Changer
Bose
GSM Phone Prep
Light & Rain Pack
Rear Parking Sensors

Cant wait to pick it up after having all the problems ive had since Jan when I bought a brand new MK5 Golf R32 VW have finally refunded all my money as they cant fix it.

Good stuff, hope you secured yourself a nice deal\bargain. Cheers KKP