New S3, question about shipping blocks

ikevinaugust

Reaction score
So I picked up my new 2020 S3 last week and the ride was abnormally rough and stiff. I took it back in to the dealer after taking photos of the 4 shocks and seeing some purple shipping blocks/ strut pucks in the rear only (picture attached) and the front looked normal to me.
When I took it back in, they said they also checked the front but I still feel like the ride is abnormally harsh and even though the service guys have said they checked I am wondering if there is a chance they are still in.
What I am trying to find out is if they would be underneath the dust cover as shown here as a common problem for a new GTI:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6978296-Quick-Guide-to-Remove-Strut-Pucks#/topics/6978296
OR
if they are always visible without jacking up the car and moving the dust cover, etc. which is what the dealership initially told me?

I would assume all cars are shipped the same way and it would be impossible for the dealer to not remove all of them but since they didn’t remove the rear ones the first time I am still paranoid. I am assuming someone on here has had the front ones left on as well and can tell me exactly what they look like and where they would have been.

Thank you!

Attachments

• C34B31EE-FF9D-420B-BE8B-7945F0169CF4.jpeg
    C34B31EE-FF9D-420B-BE8B-7945F0169CF4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 886
What suspension mode are you in comfort, auto or dynamic.......dynamic is a rough ride on some roads. I do not use drive modes but set up my driving preferences in individual mode.

I am doing comfort mode for suspension and dynamic for the rest of the options. It’s certainly worse if the suspension is set to dynamic.

Even in comfort mode, it’s a rock hard ride, especially on 19” rims when compared even to sports suspension. More like the S-Line suspension of 15 years ago.

Wow, and I have 18 inch rims. I can imagine the 19s would have literally murdered me then...

Off topic ish
How you get hold of an S3
Thought these have only just come up for ordering
or is it an A3 S line
You have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing new or hard to find about a 2020 S3. I think you mean 2021?

Does anyone know the answer about front shipping blocks/ strut pucks / whatever you call them? Where they are placed and if visible from the outside? Thanks.

Nothing new or hard to find about a 2020 S3. I think you mean 2021?

Does anyone know the answer about front shipping blocks/ strut pucks / whatever you call them? Where they are placed and if visible from the outside? Thanks.

Ah right yes sorry
Back on topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the shipping blocks were still in place the car would look like it is on stilts. Does it?

No, it doesn’t look like it is on stilts... the front is a touch higher than the back.

Attachments

• 5A7EDA70-A3C3-4612-9989-C9F1C1B5953E.jpeg
    5A7EDA70-A3C3-4612-9989-C9F1C1B5953E.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 324
You don't need to think about such things while suing the car shipping services of a professional company. They know how to do it, and most important is to prevent them about what problems can they have while transporting your car. My car is from Europe, and it has some defects because it was in an accident. At least it was at an excellent price. The guys who transported my car were very accurate because it has many problems with the engine, and something could happen during the transportation, but luckily, everything was ok.

I see that the thread is from three years ago, but your question about the shipping blocks on your S3 is still relevant. It's important to ensure the proper functioning of your vehicle, regardless of the thread's age.
To get a clearer picture, you might want to reach out to other S3 owners or consult your vehicle's manual for guidance on the placement of these blocks. Additionally, you can inquire with the dealership again, requesting a thorough inspection to make sure all shipping blocks are removed.

I see that the thread is from three years ago, but your question about the shipping blocks on your S3 is still relevant. It's important to ensure the proper functioning of your vehicle, regardless of the thread's age.
To get a clearer picture, you might want to reach out to other S3 owners or consult your vehicle's manual for guidance on the placement of these blocks. Additionally, you can inquire with the dealership again, requesting a thorough inspection to make sure all shipping blocks are removed.
If you're looking for information on shipping vehicles, you can check out https://www.shipvehicles.com/about/ for more details on car transport services. Hopefully, you can resolve the issue with your S3's ride and enjoy a smoother drive soon.

I hope you've managed to resolve the issue with your dealership.

And yeah, dealing with ride issues can be a bummer. Checked out the forum link – those strut pucks might indeed be causing the stiffness. It's possible they're under the dust cover, like with the GTI.

Since the post is from 2020 and it's 2023 now, hopefully, you've sorted out the strut puck situation. If not, having the dealership double-check or consulting an independent mechanic could be a good move.

And hey, if you ever need transport services for your S3, A1 Auto Transport at a1autotransport.com has a solid reputation. Wishing you a smooth ride ahead!

Dealing with ride issues can be a hassle, but it sounds like you're taking proactive steps by investigating the strut pucks. It's great to see you exploring potential solutions to improve your driving experience. If you haven't already, reaching out to the dealership or consulting with an independent mechanic could provide valuable insights into resolving the stiffness issue.

Dealing with ride issues can be a hassle, but it sounds like you're taking proactive steps by investigating the strut pucks. It's great to see you exploring potential solutions to improve your driving experience. If you haven't already, reaching out to the dealership or consulting with an independent mechanic could provide valuable insights into resolving the stiffness issue.
=
And thanks for recommending A1 Auto Transport for transport services! For additional car-related support and resources, you might also want to check out https://carauctionsusa.net/shipping-an-auction-car/. They offer helpful guides and tips, like this one on shipping auction cars."=