New S3 Sportback Ordered - and Pan Roof question

simonl

Reaction score
Morning guys, i've just put in an order for an S3 Sportback having been with BMW for many years.

I originally drove one a few months or so ago and came away underwhelmed, but after going round in circles for months thinking about what to get, it felt like the best option. 2 small kids and all that. That said, I loved the sound it made from it's 4 pot, that did surprise me - although the wife wasn't too keen on the blips. It's clearly a very quick and capable car, but i suppose my problem was that i've spent the last 5 years driving around in 6cyl Diesel SUVs (BMWs).

I'm coming from an X3 3.0d MSport 2011 (Surprisingly quick). Previous cars were M135i, X5 3.0d, Golf GTi Mk6, Mini Cooper, Mercedes C320 CDI (Very Quick), X3 3.0d M Sport (Prev Gen), Golf GTI Mk5, Audi A3 3.2... that was the last time i frequented these forums.

Anyway, quick question on the Pan Roof? Does it have 2 planes of glass or just the one. Dealer seems to think there are 2 sections -front and rear, although the rear is much smaller. I'm not sure he's right but you'll be the judge of that.

I'm actually quite interested in your post from another perspective. As a BMW 320i xDrive owner i'm considering either upgrading to a 330d xDrive Touring or the S3 Sportback. Might I ask what made you go from a 6 cylinder diesel BMW to the Audi S3, or predominantly what made you move away from a large diesel BMW full stop?

As for the panoramic roof, it's in my desired spec. (the main "luxury" option) as I think it looks excellent, especially on certain colours of car and adds a little something to the interior. I sat in a car in the showroom with one at the weekend and I think it was just one big glass panel that can tilt.

I love those big BMW Diesel engines - they're a fantastic unit. But it needs to be in the right car. I think they suit the SUVs to a tee, the jury is out on whether it packs enough excitement into a 3 series. I've driven a 330d and it is insanely quick and refined, but lacking in character. Its a criticism that is often fielded with owners who then swap to cars like the M135. It suits my X3 and that packs a punch. I've heard the Xdrive on the 3 takes even more fizz out of the equation, but then it's also got its plus points.

I nearly (very nearly) opted for a 335i as petrol is making a bit of a comeback, but the wife doesn't want a saloon - I can understand that. She's going to be driving it everyday so I can't really ignore her (on this occasion). The M135i is brilliant, but oddly the engine is pretty soulless until it hits 4k, then it sounds ****** incredible. I had a look at many BMWs over the weekend and they all just felt more of the same, so I fancied a change. I think you might feel the same way.

The S3 feels more toy-like, and the engine was surprisingly characterful for a 4pot. I do think I'll be in a new Q5 in a couple of years, but this makes for much fun in the meantime.

Either way they are both fantastic cars, it just depends whether you're looking to re-discover your youth or not

sorry to hijack your thread!

Sunscreemer i drive a 330d m sport (not an xdrive) quite regularly as my dad has one and i work for him.

It is great! so fun for a big estate, so fast, and the gear box is best i have never caught it out, the power is just instant all the time. It averages 41mpg which is ok for its power.

i pick up my S3 on Monday, but i went for a manual because it just didn't feel as fast with the s tronic to driving the BMW. Also i don't know whether it is because i am use to the bmw auto, but the BMW's auto box felt far superior to the Stronic, i just couldn't get on with it.

Just one .....

epvj1EKi

This is very tricky. I know I could get a far better deal on a 330d, but i love the looks of the S3 Sportback and used to love my A3 TDI quattro. As for rediscovering my youth I turn 40 in June so don't feel that old yet ;-) I do want something a touch more practical hence fancy a touring / hatch and 4 or 5 doors a "must" now. It's just whether the grunt of the diesel satisfies as much as the handling of the S3. It's a decision that is hard from a couple of half hour test drives. My head is maybe saying 330d but heart saying S3. Whatever way i'm determined not to be looking to change again in only 2 years!

I love those big BMW Diesel engines - they're a fantastic unit. But it needs to be in the right car. I think they suit the SUVs to a tee, the jury is out on whether it packs enough excitement into a 3 series. I've driven a 330d and it is insanely quick and refined, but lacking in character. Its a criticism that is often fielded with owners who then swap to cars like the M135. It suits my X3 and that packs a punch. I've heard the Xdrive on the 3 takes even more fizz out of the equation, but then it's also got its plus points.

I nearly (very nearly) opted for a 335i as petrol is making a bit of a comeback, but the wife doesn't want a saloon - I can understand that. She's going to be driving it everyday so I can't really ignore her (on this occasion). The M135i is brilliant, but oddly the engine is pretty soulless until it hits 4k, then it sounds ****** incredible. I had a look at many BMWs over the weekend and they all just felt more of the same, so I fancied a change. I think you might feel the same way.

The S3 feels more toy-like, and the engine was surprisingly characterful for a 4pot. I do think I'll be in a new Q5 in a couple of years, but this makes for much fun in the meantime.

Either way they are both fantastic cars, it just depends whether you're looking to re-discover your youth or not

I only changed from the A3 to the 3 series as the Audi dealership were frankly terrible and my car was due for changing at a time when the full range wasn't available in the current generation A3 so i couldn't go like for like anyway. BMW pounced and to be fair the dealership there was excellent, couldn't do enough. Loved the A3, I think it just suited me.

This is very tricky. I know I could get a far better deal on a 330d, but i love the looks of the S3 Sportback and used to love my A3 TDI quattro. As for rediscovering my youth I turn 40 in June so don't feel that old yet ;-) I do want something a touch more practical hence fancy a touring / hatch and 4 or 5 doors a "must" now. It's just whether the grunt of the diesel satisfies as much as the handling of the S3. It's a decision that is hard from a couple of half hour test drives. My head is maybe saying 330d but heart saying S3. Whatever way i'm determined not to be looking to change again in only 2 years!

Ha. I turn 40 in April. We all need practicality but yearn for our 205 1.9 GTI moment, which was too expensive to insure at the time ;)

I think the grunt/torque of an S3 is more than enough, plus you've got the benefit of revs.

Glad my answer to your panoramic roof question turned out correct anyway, i didn't want to hijack your thread without being some sort of help to the question you had - you were just a perfect candidate to help me air my current dilemma with!

As it's a sunny day just popped out and took these - bit difficult on an iphone you need a wide angle lense really but this gives you an idea of the opening size ....

cvCPbtea

D2vCVdve

Nice one Rob! Makes me lust for mine more and more :) 5 weeks to go...

Reactions: Rob2k68