New S3 Test drive

Gozzer

Reaction score
Had a test drive in the new S3 at Salisbury Audi yesterday. The car is a more refined than the old model and the ride does not feel as firm. Having just got out of my 51 plater S3 the new car felt a lot quicker, and i did not find the lag too noticable. It was also very good around town and in traffic. The exhaust note sounds great, but i dont think the standard seats are as good as the recaros in the old car. Is it worth the wait? I think so, i have driven the A3 3.2 and was disapointed, the new S3 is a more sportier responsive drive, even with only 134 miles on the clock. The only real question for me is what colour and when can they deliver?

Sprint blue, S-tronic - Jan 2009
Sprint blue, S-Tronic, decent engine ......??????? ;)

Wow! Flippin heck! 4 hours behind the wheel of a sprint blue S3 bomming around Bristol and Swindon today. Yikes. Yippee. Zoom Zoom.

Stepping back into my 51 plate S3 was like stepping back in time...

Audi sure have done a fine job on the car, was it worth the wait? Yes indeed!

Will be in the dealer tomorrow ordering mine. Looks to be a corker as I seem to have ticked every option on the list!

Now just have to wait the 3/4 months for delivery!

Test Drive tomorrow, I'm sure I wont be disappointed. S3 on order, confirmed build date, wk1, so should get it end of Jan, beginning Feb. Sprint Blue with the Reccaro Buckets and Flat Bottomed Wheel.

Again these forums seem to be infested with zero post reviewers - the cynic in me would suggest we're being innundated with numpty reviewers...

After all the best I can get is a review next weekend in Warrington - Chester in their wisdom has put thier S3 on display only.

Ps. I normally posts as LeeS3 (imola) but a combination of moving house (main pc in box) and a case of forgottern password means I am logged in under a different account.

Well, I havent driven it yet but the looks are totally unispiring. Even the salesmen thought it wasnt worthy of being an S car .I posted some pics in the other section if anyone wants to look.
Too little for too much imo but each to their own.. You could buy a 3.2 s line Q and an olde 51 plate S3 for the price of the new one...Or even better an second hand S4 and be able to insure and run it for a while..

It is strange that so many zero posters are saying such glowing things tho!.. good point...

Spook said:
Sprint blue, S-tronic - Jan 2009
Sprint blue, S-Tronic, decent engine ......??????? ;)

Good shout re the colour. :hubbahubba:

I had a sprint blue TT and it looked stunning.

You'll not get DSG and quattro together on a 4 cylinder engine.

It's very disappointing as I'd jump at an S3 with DSG.

Nice post gozzer, just a question which audi dealership do you work for ??.

I've noticed a few new posters on 'audi' forums talking up the new S3.

I hope I'm proved wrong

I wonder how many they've sold thus far.

Press reviews have been ****, yet ever user review I've read has been positive.

stevec said:
Stepping back into my 51 plate S3 was like stepping back in time...

Audi sure have done a fine job on the car, was it worth the wait? Yes indeed!

how?

Just driven the new S3, well impressed,quick,handles well ,nice ride not to harsh and sounds awesome. Can't understand the negative press it has recieved, they must all drive Rover 75's or something.
Also saw a sprint blue one in Liverpool Audi on Thursday, looks the business.
Mine is ordered in Sprint Blue ,expected end of Jan, not sure if to upgrade and add the bucket seats while I still can, are they really worth £1700 :sos:

not sure if to upgrade and add the bucket seats while I still can, are they really worth £1700
A friend of mine recently took me for a spin in his RS4. I have to say, I hated the bucket seats.

They might serve a purpose when you are subjected to high lateral forces on a track, but bloomin'eck I could not live with them daily. I'm far from being a large person, however I found them too be too tight and damn uncomfortable - no way could I go a long journey in there!

markwiggy said:
they must all drive Rover 75's or something.

...or just have driven better handling, more rewarding cars that give more for their purchase price.

markwiggy said:
Mine is ordered in Sprint Blue ,expected end of Jan, not sure if to upgrade and add the bucket seats while I still can, are they really worth £1700

You should find an RS4 with the buckets fitted and have a sit in them. I'm told that they are adjustable in the RS, but can't find out if they are in the S3. They can make it difficult to get in and out of the back and the leather is also prone to cracking on the side bolsters on the RS models.

HTH

Regards, John.

I'll start by pointing out that I'm not a zero poster and I don't work for Audi.

I recently test drove a Phantom Black S3 in damp/rainy road conditions. I really enjoyed the drive, I too feel that the car is an improvement on the old one. The ride is firm yet more refined and the steering feels sharp and responsive. It handled speed bumps far better than the 8L too. I thought that the engine note was raspy but only when you were driving hard. Looks like there is valve just behind the tailpipes which opens to give more noise at higher revs. At high motorway speeds the road nose wasn't intrusive. It's hard to hear the turbo spin up, but you can just hear the dump valve whooshing, something I'd rather was the other way around. The standard seats were fitted with the optional adjustable lumbar support, worth the cost for the extra comfort it provides. I know the S-Line seats have been providing discomfort to many owners (Spook I feel for you) but a quick sit in an S-Line afterwards proved to me that these seats are superior. The S3 leather felt thicker than on my old car, which may make it more durable in the long term. I'd still rather have the good old recaros, great seats! The interior is stunning the aluminium trim and white needles on the clocks make a big difference. I thought it strange that you have to have the clutch pressed before you can start the car. Anyone know why that is?

The looks aren't everyones cup of tea, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... I do like it's stealthy looks and it really does look good in phantom black and dolphin grey.

Regards, John.

JohnS3 said:
You should find an RS4 with the buckets fitted and have a sit in them.

Just sat in some while in the dealer after the test drive, love the looks but was a little worried about the points you mentioned, although I did find them comfy. I think you maybe right and they will be a pain when getting in and out. The salesmen said he would'nt have them as he spent some time in a RS4 and found them uncomfy
I think I will save my pennies
thanks

JasonM said:
Nice post gozzer, just a question which audi dealership do you work for ??.

I've noticed a few new posters on 'audi' forums talking up the new S3.

I hope I'm proved wrong

good call

Just spoken to Swindon Audi, their Demo is available (Phantom Black) Have mine on order in Sprint Blue, though the dealer reckons white wil be awesome and keeps pushing it :D

test drove a phantom black one in aberdeen yday. really njoyed it, didnt notice much lag at all. Seats were ok, but as all say not as good as the recaros.

glad ive made the purchase. Looked good in phantom black too - going back into my 2001 s3 felt really slow.
confirmed week 50 build so Just waiting for it to arrive jan now.

I did seriously consider the new S3 but the price just put me off, I looked at one but it just didnt seem special enough in the looks dept to justify the price, particularly after you add a few options. I think I'd rather go for a new TT.

JohnS3 said:
I thought it strange that you have to have the clutch pressed before you can start the car. Anyone know why that is?

If it won't start without clutch depressed (i.e. immobilised) then it sounds like it's an interlock that they have on alot of US manual cars (foot on brake for automatics). Usually to stop you starting the car in gear.

The manual for my last two TDI have recommended to start with clutch depressed to reduce load at start up - never tried without...

When I had a BMW 1 series as a courtesy car that wouldn't start without the clutch down either, but it also had a push button start.

Well, I too have just had a test drive in the S3 and again have praise for it. I was on the verge of going for a new 3.2 TT for a few years, something a little different from the S3 I have now, but quoted a 9 month waiting list, and with all the potential new green taxes set to come through I talked myself out of it.

So, the S3, well I agree with most of what's been said so far.
The looks aren't quite as good as the old one, why they haven't widened the arches is beyond me... in fact it really annoys me as it's one of the best parts of the current S3.
Anyway, the drive of the new S3 is really good, I had the car for an hour so had a chance to run it on the motorway, some country lanes and pull over and have a good look around.
So, it sounds awesome and goes like stink, but it's all done in a relatively un-fussy way - no real lag to worry about and has a much wider power band than my current S3.
The drivers seat sits to high in my opinion (but it's a bit to high in the old one too!) and I miss the pull out leg support from the old recaro's.
Handling is good, very sharp and responsive compared to my old car, and the ride seems firmer, but not uncomfortable. It still has understeer to deal with if you go in to hard at a round about, but it's nowhere near as severe as my current S3, and when you put the power back on it seems to work out where it needs to put the drive much quicker.

The really big surprise for me were the brakes - they are massively powerful, but the biggest surprise is the feel. Everyone knows Audi's have the grabbiest brakes on the planet (but you get used to it eh!!), but these were actually really progressive a light touch, was just that, a light touch, puch a little harder and they progressively apply more resistance.... it was this that convinced me Audi have spent all their time, effort and budget sorting out making the S3 drive like an S car and not cut a corner somewhere to give us the arches we all want to see. I think they made the right choice!

So, my order has gone in:
Sprint blue with all the toys except sat nav and the bucket seats.
With a requested delivery of Mar 1st.

I know I haven't had the highest number of posts and there appears to be some concern over the validity of some of these messages, but i'm just sharing my experience. If any of you are thinking about getting one, but are unsure of the looks - take a test drive. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

By the way - If anyone can host some pics of the the S3 I took out let me know - I'm rubbish with that sort of stuff!

I'll post some I took with my phone if you like...
DSC00365.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

For those who are concerned, I was a member before the data base of members was lost a few years ago and have never rejoined. The post was my view and not audi's, and as there had been a lot of talk about the new car i thought some might find it interesting! However, on reflection and after some thought, like, is the car worth £20 grand more than my current car. The answer is no! I havent placed an order and i am waiting to see if Audi make the RS3 Autocar says is coming next year.

jamiekip said:
By the way - If anyone can host some pics of the the S3 I took out let me know - I'm rubbish with that sort of stuff!

PM sent

Nice review, Jamie.

I've got to visit my local dealer shortly, so I'll have a wee sniff around their demonstrator.

Well, I did warn him that I'd be starting on my new project shortly.

jamiekip said:
So, my order has gone in:
Sprint blue with all the toys except sat nav and the bucket seats.
With a requested delivery of Mar 1st.
Did you get any kind of discount? What did you pay?

In answer to the 911SC - cheer for popping your pics up - was actually asking for someone to host my pics, JohnS3 should be popping mine up shortly! Thanks again John.

In answer to vagman - thanks - thoroughly recommend you take a test drive and get it on a twisty road - you really can tell where Audi have focussed their attention. I think you'll like it! If you can, stand around until someone else take it out and floors it, seems pretty quiet inside, but when you're stood outside and someone guns it, it sounds sweet!

In answer to benw123,

I managed to negotiate about a 3% discount on the basic car price but options had no discount.
I'm doing it through a PCP as an alternative to a company car - some of you may have seen my ealier messages around an s-line special edition - through the company car scheme and with the tax i'd get on the s-line the S3 is actually only costing me about £70 more a month plus it comes taxed for 3 years and has all servicing etc included so all I have to worry about is the insurance. Incidentally that's come out at £780 fully comp in central London! £50 more a year than my current S3 - not bad!

I did speak to a few dealers to see if I could source the car any cheaper, but all were saying they wouldn't discount, so not sure how the company I dealt with managed it!

Roll on March the 1st!!!

Some of you may find this interesting New S3 V R32 - makes for good viewing and proves a 2.0 turbo will never sound as good as a V6, but the lap tines at the end are quite telling.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlkNeazzvw

It's in german, so if any one is able to translate some of the main points that would be good!

Personally I think the S3 looks good on the limit (or am I justifying the deposit I handed over!!!) and the R32 looks like it's pushing wider and wider. Something was said about teh brakes too, but in my ignorance of the german language I don't know what!!!

Enjoy

jamiekip said:

S3_1.jpg

S3_2.jpg

S3_3.jpg

S3_4.jpg

jamiekip said:
In answer to the 911SC - cheer for popping your pics up - was actually asking for someone to host my pics, JohnS3 should be popping mine up shortly! Thanks again John.

No probs, sory but the forum resizes the pics, but they are the correct aspect if you open them in a new window.

jamiekip said:
I managed to negotiate about a 3% discount on the basic car price but options had no discount.

Lucky git!! ;) 3% on the basic car is £668 if you add the VAT it's £784 so it paid for your insurance.

No discount for me. Did anyone else manage a discount?

I saw one in the flesh for the first time this week in Chester Audi but the bad news is it was orange!!!!! :puke2: