New S3 v RS3 same bhp/ton

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was browsing evo magazine earlier today and noticed an interesting statistic - it seems the new S3 shares exactly the same 216 bhp/ton power to weight ratio as the RS3.

To break that down:

S3 296bhp and 1395kg, 280 lb/ft 0-60 5.2s

RS3 335bhp and 1575kg, 332 lb/ft 0-60 4.5s

So the RS3 retains a healthy torque advantage and I'm assuming that's why the 0-60 time is quicker. Almost 200kg lighter for the S3 is a significant difference so it will be interesting to see how they compare for real. The S3 has now moved firmly into Scooby PPP and Evo FQ performance territory with that power and weight combination.

The tuning potential of the RS3 is probably higher, it has the RS badge and of course the 5 pot noise (I'd like to have beenable to say better brakes too but I think a few will disagree with me!). The S3 can counter with cheaper price, up to date technology and running costs.

This all bodes well for the next RS3 of course, if they can find the same 60kg or so weight reduction (current S3 vs new) and the power is increased to 360 bhp ish the RS3 will be around 240 bhp/ton which looks about right to me.

I'm looking forward to the magazine group tests and videos over the next few weeks, I'm sure the RS3 will feature in plenty as one of the competitors.

It doesn't surprise me. The next generation S is usually comparable to the previous RS car with Audis. Not in a straight line, but in more holistic measures like lap times.

I agree, even in this months evo, which has just arrived they only have the AMG 45 v M135i - with the usual predicable result!

The AMG 45 was tested on the same day as the RS4 v RS5 V GTR video that I posted up earlier in the week - the AMG45 was faster 0-60, 0-100 & 1/4 mile than the RS4. Despite that four wheel drive just gets no real love from the motoring press.

The end of the article says bring on the S3 so I assume that test is just around the corner too.

I have come to accept that the BM will always win against a Merc or Audi (with the B7 RS4 being a noteworthy exception) in a motoring review. Journos love to slide the car around and push the rear about on the track. And on the track I'm sure that's great. But it's a more difficult type of driving and higher risk.

In the real world, AWD wins every time - even Top Gear will admit this when they are out on their mega tours and driving roads on the sides of mountains etc. Any time when there is a real chance of losing control and having a genuine accident then you want AWD backing you up.

So - want to stretch your skills in a safe environment? Drive a RWD.

Want to drive quickly in the real world and don't necessarily have the skills of the Stig? Drive an AWD.

That line doesn't sell magazines, however!

Last edited: