New S3 - what first?

SiGainey

Reaction score
Hiya, collect my S3 tonight (just a tad excited!) and want to compile a list of maintenance issues to inspect / correct.
I've already got items like new wipers, fuel filter, PCV inspect, N249 removal, as well as new discs and pads all round as they are running low. Any items which people would recommend that are added onto that list?

Hi there dont forget to get pics up...
i would wait while you get it and drive it....you dont need to look for problems in an s3 they will soon show up by themselves, .....first thing i do when getting a new car is a full service especially oil regardless.

Yep, good point. National Tyres here I come for one of their £35 oil change specials :)

Has the cambelt been done recently?
Haldex oil change?
For new discs and pads i'd suggest Brembo Max grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads (if you can justify the cost). Once bedded in they are vastly superior to the oem set-up and i'd go as far as to say they are essential if you're getting the car remapped.

Yes, Cambelt and pump just done (with receipt). Also going to do the thermostat and new coolant. Good call on the haldex, best do it just to be sure

I completely agree with the above. Make sure you have a good platform to start from before you start modding...

Not sure on the milage and what you've already done interms of inspection but have a look at the rear springs before you take it away just to check there not snapped at the bottom, common fault and easily missed.

Tyres are good quality ones, it's done 95k but has loads of NONE longlife service history. Recent receipts for rear springs and campbelt / water pump :)

Thanks all :)

100000% make sure you do full oil and filter change.. have the sump off and change/clean the collector pipe.. i had my S3 on the road for about an hour before the engine went pop and as it stands im on a 1.6k bill and i still need a new crank and cylinder head recon...that was due to a blocked oil collector pipe in the sump! its 12.50 from audi!! get it done :p

CHeers all :) The old owner said he had the pickup pipe done, so that's another off the list. I know I'm a picky fella but there's a few things wrong with this :( There's a funny noise after the starter has done it's job of getting the engine started, a very odd squeak when the accelerator pedal is released, the clutch switch is dead (error code and overruning), thermostat needs doing (verified by the climate control secret menu thing) and I'm hoping that doing the stat will also give me full boost!
Also, there's a random "bulb out" warning when there are no blown bulbs, which is confusing!
I think the MAF is gone as it really doesn't have any mojo at all and i'm getting poor fuel consumption! (but again, that might be the stat).
Sure there'll be more, but man, what a great car when they run right eh!!!!! And this is not remapped, can't wait to have a go in one with a remap, bet that's a right hoot!

A remap will transform her....
Try running without the MAF
Clutch switch is a simple job
Take your rear cluster out and clean contacts
Replace thermo, are you certain its not a sender?
They do sound tractor-ish on startup....?

I'm hoping a remap will anger her a little haha
Will do
Ordered, collection on wednesday
nice, thanks
Not 100% but I'm putting a new header tank and coolant in, so I'll do the temp sender at the same time and get it done with :)
Yeah, this sounds like a loose heat shield, need to do a bit more digging :)