New S4 - Cold Start

pherbert

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum, I just wanted to throw this out there: -

I took delivery of my Ibis White S4 last month, so far pleased with the car, run the car for just over 1500 miles and since new have noticed that when the engine is cold and been left overnight, the first engine start seems to be a bit of a struggle as if there is not enough fuel going in! It takes approx 2 seconds to fire up whereas when the engine is warm or has at least been started once on a short journey, subsequent firing up of the engine is almost instantaneous! I must stress it has never failed to start on me yet!

I have searched the forum but cannot find any similar examples with the 3.0 V6 B8, funnily enough I had a similar problem with my TTs (albeit not as obvious with the TT) on cold starts, was thinking about fuel grade but have tried many types including Shell V-Power etc, all to no avail.

Apart from that so far so good, had a slight brake squeak when new under light braking, read some articles and did some agressive braking and this has subsequently solved the problem! Many thanks for that.

Look forward to any input you may have out there

The first start on a cold morning is slightly longer than a warm start on my car too. Would i say its 2 seconds...........no way. I think its to be expected for it to be a little longer though to be fair.

My brake shreak has all but gone as well, in my case its not to do with bedding them in, but because the temperature has risen. We had a slight frost on Wednesday and they squeaked again, dont be surprised if this comes back. Have you heard the brakes when the window is open? Its one hell of a noise thats for sure.

Just wondered why you thought it would be "expected" to be a little longer! Just to note with mine, it would also take longer even when the ambient outside air temp is above 15c not just first starts on cold mornings! It tends to be relevant to the first start of a cold engine. Is that still the same for you?

I have never really questioned why, i have done the stupid thing and just always accepted it. But when you stop and think about it, the oil will be thicker, all the bearings will be tight and general friction between all parts will be increased. We will both probably notice an improvement as the engines run in.

May be the injectors take some time to get upto pressure as well (total guess), i think it all just adds to the lag between initial start and reaching "catch" speed.

Most starts in my car would be classed as cold, as i jump in and drive to work, 9+ hours later i jump in and drive home. I will have a listen tonight and let you know what happens as its a lovely warm day here.

Yeah, I've noticed the first start takes longer, but as everything is cold, I don't think it's something to worry about.

For some reason, it's not just it taking longer to start in terms of firing up the engine, but the last couple of mornings, no response at all without me having to take the key in and out and try again.

Do you press the button and release straight away, or do you hold it for a second then release?

Last week i pressed the button too quick and had the same experience as you, i just hold it for a split second longer now, and i havent had the issue sinse.

Ok cool, I did think it might be something to do with the new key mechanism! Gonna get the dealer to look at the actual engine starting when cold though next time it is in, getting some rear parking sensors fitted at the dealer, so will make sure drop the car off the day before and see what they think!

If its worrying you that much then its the right thing to do :) Personally i dont think there is anything to worry about.

My S4 takes a little longer to fire than my old 2.0 T FSI Quattro. I have just taken it that its just the way it is. Had I turned the clock back many many years, I would have been woried as an engine that needs turning over for a small while could have been linked with having to fill the fuel chamber of a carb. And that could mean that it is being lost, but with the new cars these days I'm not worried.