New summer tyres.... Opinions please! Dunlop or goodyear?

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello people.
On Monday I shall be ordering 2 new tyres for my summer rims.
When I bought them, I selected Dunlop sport max gt in 265/30/20.
I found them pretty good, if not border line excellent until there last dying days which appeared after around 15k.
My car is fwd, so the fronts are ready for swapping out, the rears have plenty life left in them.
OK, so, being a fwd, and bearing in mind I remove my summer wheels 5 months of the year, the rears have a bit more to go.
I have looked online, and basically my mind is torn between.
A, get the same again for the fronts
B, get something different, mainly Goodyear F1 assy 3.

I have previously ran Goodyear F1 assy 2 and found them pretty good..
My only sticking points are that fitting a different brand front and rear will affect my ocd.
My rims are BBS CHR in 20 inch, so appreciate some tyres perform better in the bigger sizes, so basically, if anyone can comment who has experience in both tyre choices, that would be brilliant..

I would prefer to keep all tyres matching for an aesthetic point of view, again ocd, but if the goodyear even though slightly noisier according to the rating label lasts longer and performs better in the wet, I am willing to accommodate.

I also don't know if the good years have a big anti curb strip, which the dunlops don't, so any guidance on that too would be very much welcomed.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If the Kerb protection is the same as on the Assy 3 18 inch tyres then it's quite poor. I am swapping to Michelin pilot sport 4's on my A4. I had to replace one of the fronts a few months ago as I picked up a puncture in the sidewall on one of my Goodyears, I swapped it for a Michelin . It has a much bigger kerb protector and the tyre gets the best reviews also wears really well.
Black circles have 10% off Michelin tyres ATM . Two 265/30/20 4S tyres fitted work out at £428.78.
A pair of F1 Assy 3's is £408.64 and the Dunlops £393 .
Upload 2019 3 15 23 29 26

Reactions: CHEZ
Cheers @desertstorm
Regarding supplier, it will be from tyreleader for 2 reasons..
The tyre fitters around our way can be a bit arsey about fitting tyres you didn't buy from them, understandable really, and tyre leader let's you choose a nominated fitter that's on there list, which happens to be a vauxhall dealer for me, so if they do drop a clanger I will at least have a chance of them fixing there damage.
And secondly, tyreleader are the cheapest, 2 Dunlops come in at £336 minus fitting, about £20 more for the goodyear.
The michelin are an awesome tyre but with a hefty rim protector, which I don't really need will look odd against the rears that don't have them you see.

I always use Blackcircles and likewise fun Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s on mine although it’s a rear wheel drive Merc. I bough the same when I had my A4 S-Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers @desertstorm
Regarding supplier, it will be from tyreleader for 2 reasons..
The tyre fitters around our way can be a bit arsey about fitting tyres you didn't buy from them, understandable really, and tyre leader let's you choose a nominated fitter that's on there list, which happens to be a vauxhall dealer for me, so if they do drop a clanger I will at least have a chance of them fixing there damage.
And secondly, tyreleader are the cheapest, 2 Dunlops come in at £336 minus fitting, about £20 more for the goodyear.
The michelin are an awesome tyre but with a hefty rim protector, which I don't really need will look odd against the rears that don't have them you see.

Most if not all tyre online sellers are associated/agreements with local tyre fitters, so there should not be any problems there, I made that mistake once, ie walking in with a set of tyres bought via internet and got grumped at, but I pointed out that at least I was giving them a part of the job instead of none of it. As time has gone on they too have become associated with MyTyres and BlackCircles and maybe more - ie they have seen the light!

Edit:- quite often if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you will find an individual seller running an "amazing deal" on the tyre brand you want, probably more down to luck than anything else! My B8 S4 came out of the factory with Pirelli Zero Rosso and I don't use it much, when I came to replace its tyres I went looking for same again, for some unknown reason, after finding the best price/seller, I checked "AA Tyres" as I'm a member, they beat any other seller I had checked, plus, they were running a "£25 LoveToShop Voucher" with each tyre if buying 4 19" tyres - now normally I'd not bother with these LoveToShop vouchers, but having converted some other form of gift voucher into them in the past, I had no trouble in using them - probably in Halfrauds for expensive shampoo etc - so that worked for me!

Last edited:
Actually maybe I once did worse than that, I bought a set of very slightly used Michelin Alpins for my old VW Passat 4Motion - if I wanted Michelin Alpins I had no choice as the warehouses were empty by the time I desperately tried to buy them in a January, so even my local independent tyre place could not have got them new for me - but they did fit these slightly used tyres to my wheels. I would normally never plan to try to get winter tyres in winter, but that winter had become seriously extreme and my 2000 B5 VW Passat 4Motion was having serious difficulty staying in control driving down my driveway - I had fitted winter tyres to my wife's Polo a couple of years previously as she was starting to have trouble driving to work in winter.

OK, so decided to prep my wheels before I get my new fronts.
I took my wheels off in November I think, cleaned and dried them, then stored them on a tree in the spare bedroom, all clean and dry over the winter period.
So today, I removed the balance weights, heated them up with a hair drier and removed them with a plastic mountain bike tyre lever, then proceeded to remove the gum and tar spots with Wd40.
I didn't realise how much hard stuck on tar was accumulated behind the wheel, but anyway, removed all that with a tad WD.
Next up, after a rinse was a full clay bar treatment, front and rear, and for a set of 'clean wheels' I removed a lot more deposits than I predicted.
After a dry I used a paste wax and give them a good cover all over.
All of this in the comfort of the house by the way, it was blowing a hoolie outside, and very cold
All in it took 5 hours!! And my fingers and whole body are aching to bits.
Never had this with the rotors lol.
You can get your hand right in with them on the car even.
Anyway, all done now until the winter when I take them off again.
Oh, and I reckon I shall just stick with the Dunlops
Happy days
IMG 20190317 175007 zpswwwdewuh IMG 20190317 175045 zps1cden7ko IMG 20190317 175025 zpszsm37lin IMG 20190317 175122 zpsvqrg3rm3

Reactions: abmat, Ron240 and Crazyfool