New thermostat but no hot air

Steve s

Reaction score
Hi all . Put New thermostat in 2.0tfsi b7 but no hot air unless driving

Not an uncommon problem with B7's after working on the cooling system.
If you have normal operating temp and your temp gauge is reading dead on 90 then you will most likely have an air lock at the heater matrix or very close by.
You'll need to vent the system fully to clear the problem.
If you've done that and 100% sure you're free from air pockets then look at your climate control, but most likely you have the pesky B7 air pocket problem.

Car is running at 90 fine no problems . As before new stat was reading 70 . have just bleed it from the hose near the bulkhead with the bleed hole . Wasnt lots off air but enough I think . So far so good hot air again . Will test it going to work at 5 and home in morning . Hopefully its sorted it . Thanks again rob . Will keep updated in morning .

Reactions: Sidrick
No probs, it only takes a small air lock to cause this problem, glad you have sorted it.:icon thumright:

I'm fortunate having a steep drive way so when I replaced the thermostat the header tank was higher than the heater matrix so the system bled itself of air.
On level ground the top hose for the heater matrix is higher hence air locks.

Drive home from work this morning. the hot heaters was lovely . Temps are still fine. Fingers crossed all sorted now .

Reactions: BakPak
This common situation can be easily avoided when filling with new coolant On the B7. Unscrew the expansion tank from its mount, unclip the level sensor and raise the tank as high as you can whilst slowly filling.

This method ensures the highest point on the system is the expansion tank. I performed this a couple of weeks ago on my TDi and no airlock experienced at all.

Reactions: tr7
Great info. Will be changing my thermostat over the weekend so will keep this in mind :)