New to Audi, getting an s1.. how are Audi on exhaust mods?

Russdaz

Reaction score
Hi, getting rather excitied about picking up a s1 tomorrow. Loved everything about it, but think it's needs to make a slightly deeper exhaust note, and a little more induction noise for my liking. So thinking K@N upfront.

But exhaust.. couldn't find much out about options and sounds for the s1. Any recommendations? I see miltek do one I could get fitted locally.

But had considered just removing the Audi resonator as that tends to aid a nicer deeper pop, burbling sound?

But how do Audi tend to deal with exhaust modifications?

Having come from ford where you can fit Mountune parts without effecting warranty it's kinda new to me.

Probably look at revo for an induction kit, but there are cheaper ways to do it see a recent thread.
Not sure about exhaust.

Hi, thanks.

I have noticed the revo tube and foam filter. I had a k@n mesh panel filter and silcone tube like that on last ford, supplied by Mountune. I read on here more people going the foam route. Is there much difference? Any Warranty issues? As the cars new.

Not sure, would they find out!!!
Take it off, 2 minute job if warranty concerns you
Don't take the centre box off there's a video on YouTube with it done it sounds awful.
I can't imagine a retrofit exhaust would affect your warranty.
I'd go miltek had one on years ago on a focus St it was excellent.
Remember the rear box has a valve for the exhaust flaps some cheaper alternatives don't have them.

Just had warranty work done on my GTD which is fitted with a GTI type rear exhaust went through without any problems. Also removed the superchips remap(bluefin) i presume no flags either as they hook it up to the computer and it communicates with headquarters.

Thanks. I tried YouTube but couldn't find any s1 videos. Plenty of s3's and golfs but I think most are non U.K. Spec cars.

Just had a play in dynamic mode makes more noise then I remembered it making on these drive, good point on the valves, that's new thing for me, but had noticed that being mentioned on the spec sheets. Struggling to find anything really, not liking the sound of cobra's. Haven't found a decent drive by video of the miltek either but sounds nice on the s3, and most other audis I have heard them on. Abt's systems seem to make the noise I want like, but £2,500 ouch, a local place does mtm only seen one video with it on s1 and seems to make the deeper none buzzy sound I'd like.. hmm hard choices lol

First Time i have had 4 wheel drive, and first time driving the s1 in the wet, my test drive was in the dry, and having had 217bhp in my fully Mountune'd (none mr230) fiesta st I am blown away by the traction, and acceleration but the turbo lag will take a little bit getting used. But ****** hell the brakes are so poor compared the st. So thinking some updated pads may be required..

But Bose sound system omg, wow. Xenon lights omg how bright?

Ah had an st2 for 6 weeks with the superchips remap 220bhp things i found crap were the recaro(very sore back) seats and no wonder you're getting excited with the audi headlights, the st's dip beam was terrible even although i upgraded the bulbs.

I can't remember any turbo lag with my first s1, are you sure?
My new Mk3 tts is terrible especially in first pulling off.
I will eventually be buying a miltek resonated system with round pipes.
The video must of been deleted I've just tried to find it, but it sounded awful with the centre box taken out.

Haha, Golfhappy, the fiesta st is a good fun car at that price point not much can beat for the fun factor. Get the boost pipes and intercooler upgraded asap if running a better map like that, the standard unit suffers major heat soak in the summer. The recaro's are thing of personal preference, personally I loved them, I'd love them in the s1, only got standard sport ones not the super sport ones. But yeah lights are **** compared to the Audi. How are you finding the torque steer on that map? In the wet I found traction sometimes was impossible, in the wet easily spin the wheels in 1,2,3,4th gears.. will stop as quick as a 911.. but a new st3 with the upgrades made it £26,0o0, but the build quality is nothing like the Audi s1.

Andy, ok maybe not be 'turbo' lag but deffo different to power delivery to modded turbo I have been used to, the s1 has a much much bigger kick when the boost hits max, and full boost in my old car happened 500rpm lower in the rev range, so I suppose it depends what you have been used to driving, :)
Still debating the exhaust depends if I can find dealer that will ignore it for warranty claims.

All in all been very impressed so far.
Oh and the way the s1 builds speed is unbelievable, my old st3 felt fast, the s1 doesn't until you look at the speedo.. if that makes sense? Lol

Found the video for you.
Doesn't sound great imo sounds like the exhaust is blowing.

Thanks for the find. The idle sounds just as I'd expect, but to will get a buzz on the camera due to where it is, a drive by would have been good. I saw a few videos like of the Mountune exhaust I had fitted, I got worried before having it done, but in real life it was amazing. But I think the standard exhaust sounds like it's ' blowing' imho well at least on mine anyway :-s at least doesn't sound quite right to me.

Lol, well the s1 actually feels like a tug boat compared to my last car, around town you actually can easily use a gear higher in a lot circumstances then I have been used to.

But only a 100miles from half a tank of fuel :-0

Does 200miles range from a tank sound about right on these?

Nope, I'm averaging 32mpg which is around 320 miles on the tank, unless you're racing everywhere I'd expect more miles than that. I sometimes have a complete blast on a tank and still get 280 miles from it.

If it's brand new your mpg might improve as you drive it more....

Haha 24mpg according to the trip on around half a tank the garrage supplied it with.

Filled it with shell v-power and done around 80miles for the first quarter, which sounds much better, and puts about equal to my old car, after adjusting my gear shifting. Seems cruising you can use a higher gear then I have been used to. So sounds about right. :-D

It's got 4K on the clock, and pretty sure it needs a miltek exhaust fitted the stock sounds like a hair dryer at times.

I use to 32 mpg around town and mid to high 30s on a decent run out.
Tbh if fuel economy was an issue I would have looked elsewhere.
Don't really agree with the hairdryer comment!

Haha Andy, fuel economy isn't something that bothers me tbh, I don't do enough miles for it to be an issue it's just a play thing tbh I have a van for work, and very nice play thing at that :-D

Was more a case of asking, as I have never seen a fuel gage drain that fast, but having driven a little more it was just me having to much fun with the revs, just a got a little worried if I needed to filling up at every service station on a long run, believe me, if fuel was an issue I'd have gone 1.4. TBH I only got 26mpg from a 1.6t so the 24mpg was what I was expecting :-D

Exhaust sounds are strictly a personal thing imho, from inside the car the whole sound is nice, but for me sometimes it doesn't quite the way I'd want it to on the over run. Full throttle in dynamic mode sounds sweet. Idle in dynamic it sounds sweet, but from high revs coming down there's parts it sounds well not quite right to me.. but everyone is different. (You are talking to someone that has run non resonated exhaust since 1998. So my ears are used to those) :-D

I have no regrets changing from from my Mountune'd fiesta to this, the s1 is an amazing bit of kit.

After paying a visit to an Audi tuner got a miltek on its way.

I will do a before and video.

Coming from a vw gtd can you make me a video, if you ever get the fuel economy up, in or around the mid 40s!!! i'll wait...patiently...even if it takes a while!!

Mid 40mpg in a 2ltr turbo, can't see that happening golfhappy. Miltek will be fitted this afternoon. ;-)

That egoX will ****** expensive if you can find anywhere that stocks it, as it's a complete down pipe with cat, I'd imagine we'll over £2K

Reactions: Ian Whiffen and andy l
Mid 40mpg in a 2ltr turbo, can't see that happening golfhappy. Miltek will be fitted this afternoon. ;-)

That egoX will ****** expensive if you can find anywhere that stocks it, as it's a complete down pipe with cat, I'd imagine we'll over £2K
Nah that's not what having an S1 is about lol. Must admit on the motorway it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a Clio 197 and that, even at 70 ish, had the revs up really high. The audi had a better gearing system

Look forward to a review and a video!

First impressions of the miltek, got the none resonated cat back. Surprisingly quite, on idle and of load, but does have a nice deeper sounding burble.

Put your foot down and I gets a little shouty but in a nice shouty way. Doesn't drone at motorway speeds

Before and after start up idle sounds recorded from outside on rear bumper, so from the same location. Both warm starts, both the same roads, which was all duel carriage way.
Sun roof open on tilt on both.

Point to note on the second version with the miltek I was stationary for zero amounts of the clip was I was driving. So you can see it's not intrusive.

Just more of a deeper sound

And clip from outside the car.

Does get deeper under load, and you can hear it cracklings at times, when coming down when actually driving, with the windows.. but I can't pick it properly on iPhone mic.

But I feel the Miltek is a much cleaner sound, compared to standard, it I wouldn't say it's any louder.. if it's volume of sound your after I have heard a scorpion system and that was much louder.

Ive done 450 miles on my month old s1 and i do 8 miles a day and getting 27 mpg i did nearly get 39 on a long run lol

Haha around 25mpg now rather then the 19-20mpg for my first few days.

Haven't done much on the motorway, but you can easily see it will cruise along nicely.

Which was exactly what I was expecting tbh :) going to cost me a fortune though as I can't stop just going out for drive just because I love it so much lol

Oh and one thing to note since changing the exhaust, you can differently hear more of the turbo sounds then before.