Facelift New to Smartphone interface - some set up questions

pixi

Reaction score
Hi all, I have done a search but mostly found folk wanting to retrofit or go wireless, so forgive me.
I have just bought a 19 plate A3 convertible with tech pack so MMI Plus and cockpit. I am completely new to all the tech my new car comes with so slowly working my way through the familiarisation process. I'm trying to set up the Smartphone interface with my Android phone.

It's via the cable inside the charging box, so not wireless. When I tried at the Dealer we didn't get very far and thought it was probably my awful charging port in my phone or possibly my crappy cable I brought along. Then it was said about downloading Android Auto, but when I looked I already have it on my Samsung S10+.
I don't have the factory cable, should I invest in one and are they even available?
Is there another App I need to download? We will be trying again today using the Husban's phone as he has no issues with his charging port.

Also, I asked if my car has Audi connect and was told it didn't and that I had to download another App (not My Audi as I said that I already had it) and then had to get a specific cable, which I can't remember. Can anyone shed any light on this situation too?

This is slighlty overwhelming to have all this tech so feeling a bit silly not knowing how to use it all. Thanks for any help you can give.

Here are some videos to help. But your car may have wireless Android Auto in which case you don’t need a cable. But if you do require one I would recommend the one that came with your phone as if you only have cheap ones from Amazon they may not work.

Also sounds like the dealer is clueless.

Thank you. I started to look at some videos but have been avoiding the ones that use Audi's newer than mine.
Also, I've managed to get on the MyAudi App today after putting in my VIN etc and getting error the other night. So it's recognised my car and I've gone through the list and it seems it does have Audi Connect, they were wrong there. I've no idea yet what it does though! Anyway the App is telling me to put in an 8 digit code to my MMI but I've just been having play and can't see anywhere on it to put a code.

Thank you. I started to look at some videos but have been avoiding the ones that use Audi's newer than mine.
Also, I've managed to get on the MyAudi App today after putting in my VIN etc and getting error the other night. So it's recognised my car and I've gone through the list and it seems it does have Audi Connect, they were wrong there. I've no idea yet what it does though! Anyway the App is telling me to put in an 8 digit code to my MMI but I've just been having play and can't see anywhere on it to put a code.
Just to clarify if your car is a 8V then it doesn’t have wireless android auto and Audi connect won’t do anything in the app other than let you buy any services that have expired.

For example, if you go into your Audi connect menu and it doesn’t let you access the features or it won’t let you display google maps satellite view then you can purchase a monthly or yearly subscription for it.

However, if it does include those then Audi connect doesn’t offer you anything extra.

The app doesn’t do anything on the 8V.
I would just try a different USB cable and see if you can get Android Auto working.

Also don't forget if it doesn't work always hard reset your phone by holding the power button and either the left or right volume buttons (not sure which one it is on your phone) as that might also help.

Thanks for your help. The Interface is definitely not wireless, but I have no issue with that as the phone just sits in the wireless charging box with the ports inside of that. So far I am impressed with the amount of stuff I can see on my phone just pairing it via bluetooth, but then I am coming from nothing!
I still can't fathom where to put this 8 digit code into the MMI from the MyAudi app though :crying:

Navigate to the Audi connect menu on the mmi

Then knock the jog wheel to the right

8aeb04a157da7fc3e77d78b45c2aad3d.jpg

You put the 8 digit code in there and can add yourself as a user. Therefore you never need the code again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, congrats and glad the purchase went well.

Most things discussed already.

Audi would have factory reset your MMI before you picked up the car so it has a new PIN for you to connect.

I use iPhone not Android but as mentioned the MyAudi app doesn’t give you much (assuming the features are equivalent). The Apple version gives you the ability to view Service History and buy a Connect subscription which gives you:
* Satellite image overlay (like Google Earth) on the in-car SatNav.
* Live traffic data showing closed roads and congestion which the SatNav will route around.
* And probably the only useful function on the app: find a location on the map with the MyAudi app on your phone and send that location to the car’s SatNav from the comfort of your armchair.

Reactions: Aunty Jean
Firstly, congrats and glad the purchase went well.

Most things discussed already.

Audi would have factory reset your MMI before you picked up the car so it has a new PIN for you to connect.

I use iPhone not Android but as mentioned the MyAudi app doesn’t give you much (assuming the features are equivalent). The Apple version gives you the ability to view Service History and buy a Connect subscription which gives you:
* Satellite image overlay (like Google Earth) on the in-car SatNav.
* Live traffic data showing closed roads and congestion which the SatNav will route around.
* And probably the only useful function on the app: find a location on the map with the MyAudi app on your phone and send that location to the car’s SatNav from the comfort of your armchair.
Or find it in Google maps and send it to your car via the app. But I find Google maps far better than the Audi effort. If only Google would show on the virtual dash!

Reactions: Aunty Jean
So it turns out a Samsung cable made all the difference to my dodgy charging port so have been having a play with the Android Auto. I have access to the Husband's Amazon music account so downloaded an album from that App onto my phone. I've been merrily selecting Amazon music on the interface and enjoying some tunes but it turns out I've been streaming them using my data! When looking through Amazon music on the MMI we couldn't see anything under the 'playlist' option. Surely my album should be showing? I literally do nothing with my phone, I plug it into the port in the wireless charging box and access Amazon music on the MMI through Smartphone interface.
Should I be accessing Amazon music via my phone instead, where I know the album is?