New to the forum; picking up my new S3 tomorrow...

matt_s3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am planning on picking up my new car tomorrow which I am purchasing off a friend :laugh:

It's a 2001 (Y) S3 225 in Absolute Red, Full electric recaro leather, Bose, Chrome mirrors, Traction control, climate control etc etc...

I think I bought it for really cheap as it had no MOT (passed yesterday, first time), and no TAX. It has got 90k miles on the shell with history, but unfortunately the timing belt snapped back last year so it now has a brand new engine and ancillaries, I have receipts of £2500 for this but it doesn't verify the mileage which may occur to be a ****** if I ever come to sell (which I will as I am planning on moving to Australia early next year). Do you think a new engine will be advantageous? I do. The engine is in absolutely pristine condition, you could actually eat your lunch off it - if someone ever fancied doing that!!?

The car drives like new, it is very responsive yet very comfy and smooth - probably one of the nicest cars I have ever driven. I was delighted with it when I drove it.

It also has Porsche alloys fitted by my friend which are in very good condition and apparently cost a lot of money. Not sure if they are my cup of tea quite yet, they do look verrrry nice and I think work well with the S3's design, not sure if I would want to put the originals back on yet...!? In with the price I recieved the original alloys which are in good condition (apart from one which would benefit from a refurb!), also had the original 225 engine (broken) and a few other bits and bobs...

It does have a slight ding in the bootlid which isnt much so I will price this up with Audi hopefully in the week as I want it looking in showroom condition.

Well anyways, I think this is enough rammbling on for now...

Regards,

Matt

:sign_welcome: to ASN Mark, sounds like you are happy enough with your purchase to worry about resale time come next year. Just enjoy S3 ownership whilst you have it. Now post some pics of your car for us to look at. :)

Haha, yes I am delighted with it! :laugh:

I will take some pics hopefully tomorrow when I pick it up.

Just out of curiosity, do many people replace the standard alloys for Porsche ones, like the ones I have on mine...

Would you keep them on?

Yes, i think they are 17" Boxster ones - I will probably get the original ones refurbed ans try them and decide which ones look better. I think I will opt to use the originals

the quattro badge on the grill is something I have not seen before

when polished its the best colour I think. Also not keen on the wheels, sell them and go standard. Did it have new clocks fitted then? If you have reciepts it shouldnt be a problem

I personally would sell the wheels and have the oem ones refurbed but that is my opinion.

Y Plate will be a 210bhp model.. unless they fitted a bam engine..??

Deffo get the standard wheels re-done or go for something bigger they look tiny...

The engine fitted is a bam engine, 225bhp, still have the original clocks in place showing 93k - the car has audi stamped service book up to 88.

I am not sure if the grill is standard, it does look standard but I am no expert.... yet!!

Collected the car last night along with the standard wheels, the tyres are good but the condition of the alloys are not the best. Will put them in to be refurbed.

I have seen a few S3's on 18" BBS - I think that combo works really well. However, I have heard they are very pricey. Wonder if I could sell both of my sets and get back enough money to buy BBS...

Not keen on the extra badge, but definately the best colour ;)

BIASED!

Welcome to ASN :thumbsup:

I think it is the best colour too. However, it does show up all the little marks... I plan to get these touched up very soon so it will be looking tip top. :cool:

Yours seems to be gleaming, what do you use?

Thanks Welly.

Wow, very impressive results mate.

I will look to do the, if I get it looking half as good I will be delighted :jump:

How would you go about cleaning the leather. My interior is in very good condition with no rips or scuffs, but there are one or two cracks which I would like to cover up if possible.

Let me know if you sell the wheels mate, may well be interested!

No worries Matt. There is a great detailing sub-forum on AS.net. Pop a thread in there with any questions.

nice looking car that matey...welcome to the forum :)

agree with most of the above, get rid of the small porsche wheels, ditch the quattro badge and get some Gliptone leather cleaner.....top stuff

J, from what i hear off detailingworld the leather in cars these days is sealed anyway so all you can do is clean it.... only recommendations are water based products but dont waste too much time on the 'sealing' process as it most likely wont make any difference anyway - unless you know sumat i dont matey :)

not used it personally matey....id suggest nipping over to DW and asking on that section.... the only ones i know of in halfords are the Zymol range which seem to get good reviews

i wouldnt touch anything but Gliptone though, puts the smell of real leather back in your car ;)