New TQS Owner & Project

No, the ABS rings are on the driveshafts so are not affected by changing discs

Right I see. Never changed the discs on a b5 before and with reference to 'brake kits' (discs, pads, abs rings and wheel bearings) I've seen on eBay it implies the abs ring is somehow attached to the disc - well that's the way the picture makes it look.

Consider myself suitably educated.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening all, I'm hoping to get a little more opinion on my hesitant starting issue.

Despite replacing the CTS and a questionable vacuum hose the fault, intermittently, still persists.

As can be seen through this thread I've ran VCDS no end of times and it picks up nothing and all monitored parameters using VCDS Lite seem good.

Interesting to note that when the car starts to hesitate (4-5th crank) if I put a little throttle input in it fires.

Could there be something more mechanical to blame i.e. throttle body?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

I had similar weirdness some time ago. Swapped out the n80 valve and it sorted it.

As a test you could remove the engine side hose and blank it off. Leave the n80 side open.

I had similar weirdness some time ago. Swapped out the n80 valve and it sorted it.

As a test you could remove the engine side hose and blank it off. Leave the n80 side open.

Cheers mate - I'll give that a try.

Typically I don't use the car for long trips - daily use is about 5 miles a day. However, I done a 100 mile trip Monday and starting has been fine since - see how it goes...

Is this the N80 valve location on a b5?

488a41a4345f944e3e5fd57b7d2af2bc.png

Cheers.

Evening all, as I had a few hours to myself this afternoon I thought I'd change front & rear discs and pads.

With it being such an easy OEM+ 'upgrade' I took the opportunity to do the 312mm front disc conversion.

Fronts before;

40693ea3628f19a2e951290e49d0d271.jpg

Difference in disc size against original;

86136deb19ad5b7b057db07ed2af8f0c.jpg

After;

32ff1ee50406839c9ef9007c82a451f7.jpg

bdf8d409c4f3f6624701daedd4c90b8f.jpg

Rears before;

1333b134ff3eab77e1564abcca392cf2.jpg

Pad worn to metal!!!

04bcae5b2064b9ae4c1de6cb2f581a59.jpg

After;

de47d9a6d84f545afa45922382b767b3.jpg

I used Mintex discs all round and for rear pads. Front pads are Ferodo DS2500.

I still have a mechanical 'whirring' sound coming from the back axle when I apply the brakes - must be a wheel bearing.

For anyone who's interested in the 312mm upgrade - it was relatively inexpensive. For any TQS owner you just need the bigger discs (for a b6) and some Mk1 TT/S3 carriers. All in it cost me £150.

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Afternoon all,

Well the car passed it's MOT on Friday with only 2 advisories - minor oil leak and minor windscreen damage - well chuffed.

However, after changing the discs and pads on the rear I notice that both springs were snapped at the bottom . They have now been changed - can't say I've noticed a difference.

Did they pass the mot broken?

I have one broken spring at the minute. I've noticed in the past that the height of the vehicle, shock length make a difference in transferring weight which would affect loading and grip levels. You might notice the difference if you flog her on a bit.

Did they pass the mot broken?

I have one broken spring at the minute. I've noticed in the past that the height of the vehicle, shock length make a difference in transferring weight which would affect loading and grip levels. You might notice the difference if you flog her on a bit.

They were changed just before MOT - I told the garage they were broken - would have been a failure otherwise.

Now you say that I noticed that the rear of the car looked like it was sitting high and my TQS sits on 18" RS4 reps.

I tend not to thrash her tbh - saving that for track days!

I noticed your tqs was sitting high at the rear? Don't remember but I know when the back of my Cordoba is high she tends to roll the back end about and it can slide out like over steer. When it is squat and lower the back stays planted and she pushes the nose a lot more.

Tyres and wheel have a big impact on road holding. Me and my friend that owns a garage found that sometimes too low a profile tyre can lead to less feedback and more sudden traction break away. Leading to lower cornering speeds and overall longer lap or journey times.

If the springs are aftermarket, they will be "normal" height rather than "sport" height. For some reason no-one makes springs for cars with sports suspension, so if you fit aftermarket springs it ends up looking like a tractor.

The only solution is either going direct to audi, or better, getting an eibach pro-kit.

Reactions: Browett1982
Afternoon all,

Just after a bit of advice/clarity. Both my rear springs were snapped and I've had one replaced but it now sits considerable higher on one side;

N/S - new spring;

ee727d956a1a2d59d59da456a9e865f2.jpg

75,0mm from tyre to wheel arch.

O/S - old spring;

97aaf2334969bcb4ac14e42a214d633c.jpg

50,0mm from tyre to wheel arch.

I'm sure I've read threads about Pt No mix ups between TQS and non-TQS models but was wondering if anyone can definitively tell me what the Pt No is for a standard TQS rear spring?

Cheers.

unless they bought the spring from Audi, it will be a standard height non-sport spring.

The correct solution now is to go and buy an Eibach Pro-Kit:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Eibach-Pro-K...340882&hash=item20d02c2331:g:YxQAAOSwcUBYSGrv

The springs from audi are £120 each, makes no sense to do anything other than buy a complete kit.

Cheers mate.

I've got in touch with the garage to see what spring they've fitted.

From memory they charged me £70 for the spring so my guess is its non-OEM.

Any chance you could point me in the direction of the N80 valve I need?

Tried eBay and the likes - no joy?

Cheers.

Is your old definitely defective? You can use a test lead to activate the solenoid whilst blowing through it to check for flow in the correct directions. After you clean it that is.

Is your old definitely defective? You can use a test lead to activate the solenoid whilst blowing through it to check for flow in the correct directions. After you clean it that is.

Tbh I'm not sure - figured for the price I've found other N80 valves for other Audi models (£26), I'd just change it and see what happens.

I'm basing this on what Aragorn said a few posts back as it can still be hesitant to start and nothing comes off VCDS.

Cheers.

Been reading your thread thumbs up mate currently modifying a a4 b5 avant 1.8t

Been reading your thread thumbs up mate currently modifying a a4 b5 avant 1.8t

Truth be told I was after a TQS Avant but there were no good ones when I was in the market. I used to have a TDi Avant - loved it.

I have no immediate plans to tune my TQS but make it a really good original example - the list of things only ever seems to grow, funny that isn't it

Lol yes mate trying to go down the bex turbo route currently on 190 bhp want more haha

Lol yes mate trying to go down the bex turbo route currently on 190 bhp want more haha

I think that's the route I'd also take mainly for ease and power limit. 230bhp, imo, is plenty enough and coupled with a good suspension set up it would be a joy to drive.

If I were in pursuit of 300bhp+ or just outright power I'd start with then S4. There's a red b5 RS4 Avant in my village - what a weapon!

So other than engine mods - do you have anything else planned?

I've got a couple of threads going at the moment fitted some recaro seats that I had to custom make some frames have some pics up also did the 312mm break upgrade what a different it makes

I've got a couple of threads going at the moment fitted some recaro seats that I had to custom make some frames have some pics up also did the 312mm break upgrade what a different it makes

Cool. I really like the stock TQS seats - 1/2 leather and cloth. I might look into having the leather sections (bolsters) changed for alcantara in the future.

Yeah the 312mm upgrade is a great OEM+ mod and as you say improves braking performance. Would love to try and fit some Bentley continental rotors - saw them once on a Mk5 GTI and looked insane- would be purely for show as you'd need an extra 50bhp just to cart them about

Lol have the same alloys as your but looking to swap mine for something else not sure yet next job are coliovers next weekend not sure after that hopefully Santa comes down the chimney with a intercooler in he's sack

Lol have the same alloys as your but looking to swap mine for something else not sure yet next job are coliovers next weekend not sure after that hopefully Santa comes down the chimney with a intercooler in he's sack

I don't like the RS4 reps - came when I bought the car. I've since sourced a full set of original TQS Bolero wheels - just need a refurb ready for next summer. I've seen a few b5's running Porsche wheels - look alright to be fair.

What coilovers have you gone for? I'm thinking of going down the Bilstein B12 pro kit route.

Gone for eibach mate hopefully the install goes well famous last words

I have an a6 but bilstein and eibach would be the way I'd like to go. I'd be interested to hear how they work for you.

A little mini Mod today;

B6 1.8T engine cover fitted.

Before;

3d6f760fe170518e4d8ba76efebd09b2.jpg

After;

713d02a5b82838de11d9982f29b8f5c1.jpg

However, the bonnet strut is on its way out, it kept sagging - one job off the list another one added

Last edited:
Also managed to pick up a bex manifold for 15 pounds people have told me that's a bargain so my project is back on plan which the other half hates lol

I get stick for doing too much car work and then get grief when they aren't running right, can't win.

Lol I get stop spending money Xmas is coming