New Tyres....again!!

Big Bird

Reaction score
Ok, choices....

My 2009 2.0 TFSI quattro needs new tyres. The original dunlops have managed an excellent 34k miles!!!!

I can get the same again for around £900 for four fitted, but have also found the Avon ZZ5 for £680 fitted.

Anyone any thoughts on what to go for? Mainly do motorway miles with the occasional A-B road drive.

The dunlops wear rate is attracting me back, but the avon price is also very good.

Help......!!

thats a fantastic amount of miles ! do you like to race it about abit ?

do you like to race it about abit ?

Is that a serious question, or are you really 12???

Yes, i like to drive it progressively, where safe and sensible to do so. I do a lot of motorway mileage, but also cross country drives on various scottish roads, so my driving style adapts to the conditions. I think ahead a lot and plan my driving well in advance, but i'm not shy at making progress. But i do teach advanced driving for a living, so i'd expect nothing less.

Maybe you just typed that without thinking how it looks, or how you come across to others, so i'll cut you some slack and not rip into you straight away, but really, "race it about a bit"?

Come on...............

So, anyone else got helpful advice on tyre experiences on the A4?

Given the miles you got out of the Dunlop's I'd go for them again.
Avon's are more budget sports tyres, when having the choice of budget sports I normally go for Falkens rather than Avon a I find them a betted ride and more grip, but you won't get 34k out of them!

I said it like that because if i say something like do you race it about , everybody starts calling me a **** for driving fast and over the speed limits on any Road so i am trying to like make it abit less aggresive :l to keep other people happy but then gets other people annoyed, *** ...

Last edited:
And i was thinking if you like to have quick shift every now and then or often then there are better Performance Tyres out there to suit to the style of your driving.

Went for what works best and stuck with the Dunlop Sport Maxxes GT - if i can get another 34k miles out of these, i'll be very happy....!!!!

Hell, I thought I was a steady driver but after 13k I'm starting to watch tyre threads :-( Might get another 5k at most

Ok, choices....

My 2009 2.0 TFSI quattro needs new tyres. The original dunlops have managed an excellent 34k miles!!!!

I can get the same again for around £900 for four fitted, but have also found the Avon ZZ5 for £680 fitted.

Anyone any thoughts on what to go for? Mainly do motorway miles with the occasional A-B road drive.

The dunlops wear rate is attracting me back, but the avon price is also very good.

Help......!!

That's expensive rubber!
But clearly you're getting your monies worth!

As the old saying goes, 'the proof of the pudding.....' and thats a good run you've had with the Dunlops. I personally have never used Dunlop on any vehicle I have ever owned. Thats not through choice, just how its panned out. I have Goodyear Eagles on at the moment and I've been less than impressed with them (approx 15,000 from the fronts at best). I have read a lot of good reports about Vredesteins so I have just bought a pair from Black Circles to try on the front (not quattro here, just FWD).

If it was me in your position, as I am a bit of a creature of habit lol, I would be sticking to what has given me good service.

Yes, i totlly agree. I was tempted to change, and the avon tyres looked like a decent choice with some good reviews, but i haven't heard of any other brand going anywhere near 30k miles. So, in the long run, paying £900 for the dunlops, which i know and trust, seems like a good move which will probaby prove to work out cheaper as well.

I've heard good things about the "Kumho Ku39 Ecsta LE Sport"

Any experience of these anyone?