Sportback New/used or RSQ3 Performance

Gavin0478

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi a bit of a strange one here, my mum has recently retired and has finally decided to get rid of her Honda CR-Z as its a bit low for a 67 year old to get in and out of and she would like something with 4 seats. With me having had a few Audi's now I took her to to my local dealer where she liked the S3/RS3 sportback and also the Q3.
(I know she is a pensioner but has many performance vehicles)

Her only wishes were blue or red, petrol, seats 4, has nav/parking and 'bum warmers' etc.

She would be buying cash and was trying to work with her that an RS3 or RSQ3 performance would be better investment with better residuals as they are always more sort after than a lower spec version. I was looking at the thread on the saloon discount and monthlies and trying to figure a 3/4/5 year value and what options were better than others.

So just after some must have options, 3/4/5 year est values and any additional costs expected excluding routine servicing etc and if anyone has compared the RS3 and RSQ3.

Also trying to work with her and the figures whether there will be much of a saving picking up a used facelift as some of these dealer cars seem to have odd spec.

Cheers People

Quite honestly unless you want the Q3 why compromise the handling? There isn't a huge amount of room in the RSQ3 and for my 2p it seems the residual values aren't as good as the RS3. It is a rarer car and it only takes one buyer. You can get Residual values on Audi.co.uk on base spec new models if you look in the finance offers section. BUT these are very pesimistic and relate to base models. Spec is very taste dependent, some will demand SSS and Mag ride , I found them unnecessary unless track day mad. Some want noisier exhaust .. the standard version is absolutely fine by me! Come to think of it my 16 plate RS3 is for sale on Piston Heads now.

@RGBARGEE we get it, your car is for sale! ;)

As for the OP, I love the thought of a 67yr old woman hooning around in a 400hp RS3. If she can afford it, do it.

As for the OP, I love the thought of a 67yr old woman hooning around in a 400hp RS3. If she can afford it, do it.

Cheeky young whipersnappers. What's wrong with more mature people driving powerful cars

Cheeky young whipersnappers. What's wrong with more mature people driving powerful cars
Unfortunately I'm not that young myself. But nothing, that's why I've said to go for it!

Reactions: RGBARGEE
IMO no, I’d keep her out of an RSQ3. The 5-pot engine has some serious power and not a practical engine for somebody that just wants the simple nice spec car and heated seats.

Get a nicely specced Q3 S Line with the brilliant 1.4TFSI 150ps engine, you won’t go wrong and it will be nearly half the price for a brand new one compared to a used RSQ3.

Not to forget the amount of people getting beatings lately in thefts of cars like these... I’d opt for a car your Mum could park at the shops and be confident you can come back with it still sat there and having not been done in. Read up about acid attacks with cars getting stolen, I worry enough when I use the car in some locations without letting my Mum loose in it.

Reactions: ice_cube99
IMO no, I’d keep her out of an RSQ3. The 5-pot engine has some serious power and not a practical engine for somebody that just wants the simple nice spec car and heated seats.

Get a nicely specced Q3 S Line with the brilliant 1.4TFSI 150ps engine, you won’t go wrong and it will be nearly half the price for a brand new one compared to a used RSQ3.

Not to forget the amount of people getting beatings lately in thefts of cars like these... I’d opt for a car your Mum could park at the shops and be confident you can come back with it still sat there and having not been done in. Read up about acid attacks with cars getting stolen, I worry enough when I use the car in some locations without letting my Mum loose in it.
What a lot of potentially ageist and sexist horlicks you spout Mr Nutta.

I’d say if she is happy driving a performance car then why not. Both aren’t exactly large cars and she may well like the RSQ3, sitting a little higher and offering a slightly more commanding position whilst driving. RE residuals- she’s buying cash so I wouldn’t worry if she’s going to keep the car for 5 years plus. Buy it, use it, enjoy it. An RS will bring strong residuals.

What a lot of potentially ageist and sexist horlicks you spout Mr Nutta.

Not really haha, the RS3 is a car for a car enthusiast and it would be like me telling my grandparents to buy one because they like a nice car.. just unnecessary. You’d get an RS3 only if you were going to use it for it purpose, not pootling around 99.9% of the time where an A3 Diesel would be better suited.

Not really haha, the RS3 is a car for a car enthusiast and it would be like me telling my grandparents to buy one because they like a nice car.. just unnecessary. You’d get an RS3 only if you were going to use it for it purpose, not pootling around 99.9% of the time where an A3 Diesel would be better suited.

You did notice the OP stated his mother had a Honda CR-Z, not a CR-V and has plenty of performance vehicles?

I remember a few years ago my friend's mother of a similar age had a Jag XK-R and knew how to drive it too. Awesome.

Yeh. I'm a Grandad and have had performance cars for years. Even raced a bit when younger. So..enough of your ageist and sexist comments.

Yeh. I'm a Grandad and have had performance cars for years. Even raced a bit when younger. So..enough of your ageist and sexist comments.

Reactions: Rs1

I became a grandad at the beginning of December too... Can't be real as I have an RS... ;)

Reactions: Rs1 and RGBARGEE

No worries will take my caring opinion elsewhere.

Hope the OP’s mother enjoys her RS3 to the full, all hail the OAP racer!!!

I became a grandad at the beginning of December too... Can't be real as I have an RS... ;)
scary isn't it! Mine are 3 and 8 months... seems funny seeing kids driving around in sensible family cars when us Grandads get to have an RS..

And Just for Audinuttas benefit I'm not an OAP... no pension until I'm 66!! Think I will buy an R8 then with the extra £700 a month!!

Reactions: Ozmosis and Tomplumb
scary isn't it! Mine are 3 and 8 months... seems funny seeing kids driving around in sensible family cars when us Grandads get to have an RS..

And Just for Audinuttas benefit I'm not an OAP... no pension until I'm 66!! Think I will buy an R8 then with the extra £700 a month!!

Yep I have a while until I become an OAP or even get a bus pass hahaha!

Can't see what @AudiNutta has done wrong. OP asked a question. He gave his opinion. He didn't say older people shouldn't have fast cars. Just that if they don't drive fast then perhaps a more economical and cheaper car might be worth considering.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Can't see what @AudiNutta has done wrong. OP asked a question. He gave his opinion. He didn't say older people shouldn't have fast cars. Just that if they don't drive fast then perhaps a more economical and cheaper car might be worth considering.
Think you may be missing the banter here ;-)

Reactions: D0C
Yes can see where @AudiNutta comes from in parts aswell, I was ready for the natural progression from a s3 to a rs3..However, I have been considering selling the s3 and going for a q3 black edition or even a rsq3 de badged, As had the police at the door few weeks back saying they had some inside information that my car was going to be targeted..so I bought a disk lock and now put a car in front of it at night..

It’s pretty stressful at times having these ‘performance cars’ I am still not sure what I am going to do, as I don’t want to give in to thieves, however it’s stressful on the family also..

De-banging a rsq3 may make no difference at all, as if you know..you know what car it is...

Yes can see where @AudiNutta comes from in parts aswell, I was ready for the natural progression from a s3 to a rs3..However, I have been considering selling the s3 and going for a q3 black edition or even a rsq3 de badged, As had the police at the door few weeks back saying they had some inside information that my car was going to be targeted..so I bought a disk lock and now put a car in front of it at night..

It’s pretty stressful at times having these ‘performance cars’ I am still not sure what I am going to do, as I don’t want to give in to thieves, however it’s stressful on the family also..

De-banging a rsq3 may make no difference at all, as if you know..you know what car it is...
Get a Merc AMG. They look like all the other models!

What a load of tripe (I would normally use another word), not banter, you talk.

I am well the wrong side of 60, own outright two new 'power' cars at present, have owned pretty well all types before, and like many of my age could drive rings around you, have forgotten more about cars than you will ever know, and as someone else mentioned above with our generation having more disposable cash than ever, will be looking seriously at an R8 next year - and still will not have to work for a living!

Yep, us one, you nil.

In relation to the OP question - RSQ3 for your mum.

Reactions: Jassyo06

With your 350 miles from a tank in the MPG thread I think it's you that is 'pootling' around

What's the cut off age limit for people to own a performance car ? Just so I know if I should get rid soon..

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Jassyo06, Callum66 and 1 other person
In relation to the OP question - RSQ3 for your mum.

Yep I’d agree... still has good performance yet you get a slightly higher driving position which (I’m guessing here) she may enjoy more

Reactions: SPIKE_
My issue with the Q3 is that it’s essentially a A1 on stilts...the screen and general interior is just not as nice as the A3 range....

Noticed that Audi currently aren’t selling new RSQ3. I haven’t looked in depth, but I imagine the residual value of the RSQ3 is lower than the RS3. Can see a couple of 64plate ones with 30/40k miles for about £22k, which is what you pay for most S3’s.....

To me it’s a very niche car...? I think it’s mainly because it only has a single oval exhaust... :p

I think the comments above are down to confusion from what you’ve said in you OP...does she actually want a performance car, or are you doing it purely based on the fact that they hold their value better and so it’s a cost effective option...? Of course if she wants a fast car, then all that matters is that it comes under budget. But if she doesn’t then the total cost of ownership needs to be looked at.

You are right, the RS will hold more of its value, but in terms of absolute cost it will still be more expensive than an A3/S3, as the RS3 is significantly more expensive. You can also get big discounts to offset this. My money is definitely on 1/2 yr old models though, as they are significantly less and will see a much slower depreciation rate going forward...

Older chap near me has a RSQ3 and certainly kept me honest coming home one day. I only know this as he buttonholed me at Castle Coombe having recognised the plate! He did comment that my car sounded mental on the downshift though ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

You worry too much AN no one has "beaten" on me in 2 years of ownership not even close to it.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-800
Externally the RSQ3 Looks a bit more aggressive than the RS3 3 and specced right it is a stunning car for example the RSQ3 Performance model dashboard not so good though, as for older people owning fast cars why not? indeed my mother still drives my car very well and even Jordans M4 it's younger drivers that are higher risk takers than mature drivers

Thanks for your response, as an update mum has decided the S3/RS3 are just too low and a bit hot hatch hard core for her but has re booked more test drives this weekend in a RSQ3 a Q3 and a Q2.
She is very tempted by the RSQ3 (performance) but has not had an auto for many years.
The newer tech on the Q2 looks better but anyone know if they are dumping the 310/400 bhp lumps in them or the new q3 due at the end of the year as she does love the 5 pot sound.

I hope that she does like the RSQ3

Reactions: T-800
Thanks for your response, as an update mum has decided the S3/RS3 are just too low and a bit hot hatch hard core for her but has re booked more test drives this weekend in a RSQ3 a Q3 and a Q2.
She is very tempted by the RSQ3 (performance) but has not had an auto for many years.
The newer tech on the Q2 looks better but anyone know if they are dumping the 310/400 bhp lumps in them or the new q3 due at the end of the year as she does love the 5 pot sound.

There will almost certainly be a new RSQ3 but a 310 5 pot. The 310 S3 is a 4 pot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a SQ2 coming this year with 310 ps and the 4 canons,when that is,is anyone's guess though

What a load of tripe (I would normally use another word), not banter, you talk.

I am well the wrong side of 60, own outright two new 'power' cars at present, have owned pretty well all types before, and like many of my age could drive rings around you, have forgotten more about cars than you will ever know, and as someone else mentioned above with our generation having more disposable cash than ever, will be looking seriously at an R8 next year - and still will not have to work for a living!

Yep, us one, you nil.
Well put Hal, these young whippersnappers have no idea!! (well some of them, not wishing to stereotype!! (rather than typing using both hands)