New used RS3 from Audi

Tom horner

Reaction score
Hi all, new to here, had a S4 before and sold it then had a Bentley Continential GT just got rid of it and bought a RS3 from main dealer Audi. To be fair to them they were very helpful and couldn’t do enough, driven the car out the showroom and all is well apart from on the motorway the exhaust noise is that loud couldn’t hear passenger next to me. Got home thought it may have been a problem with the exhaust flap as it made no different when in sports mode ect, we have a 3.2 mk2 TT and can hear the difference in the exhaust on there. I looked under the RS3 and it hasn’t got a standard exhaust fitted some one has fitted a loud aftermarket one by the looks of it there isn’t really a back box there?

Audi should replace it with a OEM one for me shouldn’t they? I couldn’t drive the car long distance with the noise :(

Would have thought Audi’s how ever many point check would have picked it up?

Reactions: bobby_s3
Hi all, new to here, had a S4 before and sold it then had a Bentley Continential GT just got rid of it and bought a RS3 from main dealer Audi. To be fair to them they were very helpful and couldn’t do enough, driven the car out the showroom and all is well apart from on the motorway the exhaust noise is that loud couldn’t hear passenger next to me. Got home thought it may have been a problem with the exhaust flap as it made no different when in sports mode ect, we have a 3.2 mk2 TT and can hear the difference in the exhaust on there. I looked under the RS3 and it hasn’t got a standard exhaust fitted some one has fitted a loud aftermarket one by the looks of it there isn’t really a back box there?

Audi should replace it with a OEM one for me shouldn’t they? I couldn’t drive the car long distance with the noise :(

Audi should have picked it up tbh.

I saw one just the other day in the Audi show room in Leeds which had just been sold and it had a after market exhaust on. I was shocked because usually they don’t buy many cars with modifications etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the car I have just bought, I live in Middlesbrough so put a deposit on it so it didn’t go, how ever up to 60mph it’s fine but when your doing 70ish on motorway can’t hear anything it’s that loud. Going to ask them tomorrow to put a standard exhaust on it.

That’s the car I have just bought, I live in Middlesbrough so put a deposit on it so it didn’t go, how ever up to 60mph it’s fine but when your doing 70ish on motorway can’t hear anything it’s that loud. Going to ask them tomorrow to put a standard exhaust on it.

Ye I did mention it to the sales person I was talking too but she didn’t know lol.

Ah ok let me know what they say pal, I have a full spare standard exhaust if you need one. As I’m looking for an after market exhaust currently as well.

I looked at that car in the leeds showroom, it has a milltek exhaust, but was a tidy car!
I bought an S3 8P from wakefield Audi (same group) and that had a full milltek on too, even the sports cat so I'm not surprised they've left it on.
They aren't supposed to sell on the approved scheme with modifications so you could be within your rights to demand a new exhaust fitting if that's what you want

Thanks for the info, to be fair the salesman couldn’t do enough for me, 100 times better than Teesside Audi! They didn’t have chance to put full mot as they always send them out with one on he said, but if I take it to any Audi dealer they will pay for it and any work it needs doing. They also give me more px for my Bentley than I could sell it private for which was another reason I went for it. Car it self is very clean and just had in August receipt for over £1,000 for new discs and pads on front, full service and had Haldex with gearbox oil all changed.

It’s to wet at the moment to have a proper look underneath but it doesn’t look like a milltek? I had one before on a car was great exhaust but still quiet at 70-80 this is almost boy racer loud, passenger in the back was ready to get out after hour drive back home. Suppose I should have looked underneath but didn’t cross my mind that Audi would sell it with aftermarket exhaust on!

Thanks for the info, to be fair the salesman couldn’t do enough for me, 100 times better than Teesside Audi! They didn’t have chance to put full mot as they always send them out with one on he said, but if I take it to any Audi dealer they will pay for it and any work it needs doing. They also give me more px for my Bentley than I could sell it private for which was another reason I went for it. Car it self is very clean and just had in August receipt for over £1,000 for new discs and pads on front, full service and had Haldex with gearbox oil all changed.

It’s to wet at the moment to have a proper look underneath but it doesn’t look like a milltek? I had one before on a car was great exhaust but still quiet at 70-80 this is almost boy racer loud, passenger in the back was ready to get out after hour drive back home. Suppose I should have looked underneath but didn’t cross my mind that Audi would sell it with aftermarket exhaust on!

The person may have had a back box delete?

Pretty sure it said milltek on the exhaust tips!

Just go back and ask (nicely to start with) your Audi Leeds dealer to undertake a full Audi Dealer Certified MOT; for sure the car will FAIL when an aftermarket exhaust system is fitted: see "reason for rejection" items #3 and #4:

MOT cats

You do NEED to ASK the Audi dealer to undertake a STANDARD MOT as for sure they DO (and are required by law) to know the exhaust system and ensure it complies with the cars original build specification.

For sure Audi Stafford will not accept my own car for MOT as I run secondary cat by-pass pipes (from near new) and so I have the car MOT'd elsewhere where it easily passes current CO emissions. Oh and cabin noise at 60mph motorway in my car - though I rarely do that - is no better or worse than with the secondary cat by-pass pipes fitted.

Me thinks Audi Leeds has been a tad remis... :whip:

Last edited:
Thanks, I’ll give the salesman a ring tomorrow and see what he has to say, he told me to get an mot done by Teesside Audi and they would foot the bill. Fingers crossed they will do the right thing and put it right

Reactions: 45bvtc
Spoke with Audi this morning, they said it’s got a milltek exhaust fitted to it and they come under an approved audi accessory and part so that’s why it’s been left on it’s warranted for 12 months but they wouldn’t be willing to replace it. All they would do is give me a refund on the car and my PX back

Spoke with Audi this morning, they said it’s got a milltek exhaust fitted to it and they come under an approved audi accessory and part so that’s why it’s been left on it’s warranted for 12 months but they wouldn’t be willing to replace it. All they would do is give me a refund on the car and my PX back

I didn’t know it was approved but that’s interesting...

If you are looking for a standard exhaust let me know, as I have a standard exhaust from the primary cat onwards sat in my garage...

When you say "Spoke with Audi" who do you mean? Is it the salesman or the Audi dealer's MOT engineer?

I'm with bobby_S3, I wasn't aware that a Milltek exhaust was an "Audi approved Audi accessory" either :readit:

And bobby_S3's standard exhaust is surely the way to go - then sell on the Milltek system to someone who wants 'the noise' and some do!

When you say "Spoke with Audi" who do you mean? Is it the salesman or the Audi dealer's MOT engineer?

I'm with bobby_S3, I wasn't aware that a Milltek exhaust was an "Audi approved Audi accessory" either :readit:

And bobby_S3's standard exhaust is surely the way to go - then sell on the Milltek system to someone who wants 'the noise' and some do!

I’m guessing if it was just the cat back which is still resonated then it will be ok.

If it was a de-res maybe it’s not an approved accessory then.

I’m looking for the noise at the moment

I think it's a load of tosh tbh, just a typical dealership not wanting to pay for a new genuine exhaust.
I bet if you took it to another dealer with a warranty issue, they wouldn't treat it as approved!

Reactions: 45bvtc and bobby_s3
I had a milltek on a S4 before and it was fine but it’s the noise at 70ish with this one when on motorway. They just want to give a refund on vehicle? I’ll have to photo it underneath but i can see the cats then it’s straight to a very small back box and out :frown:

It was sales manager that I spoke to

Yep, that figures... I hate salesmen! :sadlike:; had to be one once for a time and hated it; give me an engineer any day...

100% I'd be takin' the salesman up on his offer, Tom: "They didn’t have chance to put full mot as they always send them out with one on he said, but if I take it to any Audi dealer they will pay for it and any work it needs doing. "

The last Audi dealer car I purchased - an Audi A1 3-door 185bhp 7-speed DSG from Blackburn Audi, unseen (couldn't go and see as I was recovering from a prostatectomy) - I just paid the cash over the phone, went and collected, and said cheerio - and then bought the darn thing back home and set about putting it right knowing that my local Audi dealer would support me.

If you like the car then keep it and put it right to your own liking; I've a 2011 RS3, one of the first, and wouldn't change it for anything else.

Last edited:
I had a milltek on a S4 before and it was fine but it’s the noise at 70ish with this one when on motorway. They just want to give a refund on vehicle? I’ll have to photo it underneath but i can see the cats then it’s straight to a very small back box and out :frown:

Does this help?:

P1030806x

I’ll photo it tonight and upload it see what milltek you think it is

This might help, STD at the top and 2 x Milltek options: middle without secondary cats but with intermediate silencers and the bottom without secondary cats and without intermediate silencers: I suspect you have one of the bottom two Milltek systems.

RS3 Miltek

A 100% Audi MOT man will/should be counting the two secondary cats and two intermediate silencers otherwise the system falls into the #3 MOT fail! See post #9.

PS: I have run the sans cats and sans intermediate silencers and the sound track is truly wonderful - as it was in the forests back in the 80's when the Quattro's were full-blooded running; however, for 'normal' and/or adult road use is is, as you say "almost boy racer loud." :racer:

Thanks for the Help, just taken these two photos under 5e ca when I got in from work, back box on mine looks smaller?

Regards Tom
9A92E9F9 55DA 4EE8 8BA6 14ED39C02D91
134E9D10 D917 420E B30E 7A5228DF728F

Looks like both your cats and res are there still

Agreed, ish!

I see two secondary cats and only one (?) intermediate silencer and for sure Audi GmbH didn't supply that rear exhaust silencer; mine, taken just now:

Exh

Rear exhaust silencer and two intermediate silencers shown - no secondary cats of course, as previously stated.

For me you car would fail and Audi dealer MOT as you've only one and not two intermediate silencers: an MOT engineer/tester needs to count the number of elements in the system - for sure Stafford Audi do!

Sorry, but I was once responsible for motor vehicle type approval and compliance with EEC regulations and had to write the manuals for engineers and testers to follow ... :readit:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I am going to put it into Teesside Audi I think and ask them to put an MOT on it and see what they say?

Regards Tom

Thanks everyone, I am going to put it into Teesside Audi I think and ask them to put an MOT on it and see what they say?

Regards Tom

Should look something like this, Tom:

Cats

Let me know if you need a pdf copy of the original sales and specification brochure:

Cats brochure

Reactions: NevMan
Thank you for the Photo, mine doesn't look like that? Sales man just rung me and said its standard system apart form backbox on the car? Said noise difference it makes is minimal compared to standard system just the exhaust tips look nicer? He said they are a lot louder than a S3 ect. In truth I have never driven another RS3 so hadn't got anything to compare it to. Its a stunning car very clean, not sure if its worth the chew and hassle of it all for a exhaust? They give me more PX for my Bentley than I payed for it :chuncky::chuncky:

Thank you for the Photo, mine doesn't look like that? Sales man just rung me and said its standard system apart form backbox on the car? Said noise difference it makes is minimal compared to standard system just the exhaust tips look nicer? He said they are a lot louder than a S3 ect. In truth I have never driven another RS3 so hadn't got anything to compare it to. Its a stunning car very clean, not sure if its worth the chew and hassle of it all for a exhaust? They give me more PX for my Bentley than I payed for it :chuncky::chuncky:

I have videos of a standard exhaust, a exhaust without the secondary decats and then a final one with a res delete.

If you are on Instagram follow r53_sbk and you will able to compare the noise.

I’d add the videos to this but it’s effort

Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc

"Sales man just rung me and said its standard system apart form backbox," erm, no... :sadlike: But that's a sales 'person' :blink: for you....

However, do enjoy the RS3 for what it is then, Tom; great cars in my own experience with numerous contented owners.

Pricing and Specification Guide (2011) being sent now - done.

I'll then send you the 2011 Katalog - Audi GmbH spelling, not mine - done.

Last edited:
Ha ha pmsl at that, if I put a milltek on mine they'd void my exhaust warranty immediately.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: D0C, NevMan and 45bvtc
Ha ha pmsl at that, if I put a milltek on mine they'd void my exhaust warranty immediately.

TX.

Unless you were a sales person, John, you'd find difficulty making it up....

Hope you're well and that key-ring is still doing best service. :hi:

Reactions: Terminator x

TX.

Agree, that is complete bull*hit

Reactions: Terminator x and 45bvtc
Unless you were a sales person, John, you'd find difficulty making it up....

Hope you're well and that key-ring is still doing best service. :hi:
Good day! Believe it or not it broke, a bit snapped off and couldn't be repaired despite trying :( shame as it was a lovely thing.

TX.

Good day! Believe it or not it broke, a bit snapped off and couldn't be repaired despite trying :( shame as it was a lovely thing.

TX.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :sadlike:

Sorry to hear that, John; have you tried taking it back to someplace like Leeds Audi for replacement - a genuine Audi supplied part and all...
5590.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :sadlike:

Sorry to hear that, John; have you tried taking it back to someplace like Leeds Audi for replacement - a genuine Audi supplied part and all...
5590.gif
Might give that a go as I still have it here.

TX.