New wheels BUT car feels Vague, a bad choice?

FKPhoto007

Reaction score
Recently changed the wheels on my RS3 (2017) from the OE pirellii pzero to some new Contact Sport 6s. Had the allighnemt done too and some 11mm spacers added.

Steering feels considerably heavier, less direct and although the road noise and general comfort has improved, I feel rather disconnected from the road and can't "feel" the surface. I know they grip well as I've thrown it into some corners and it holds, however the feeling has totally gone compared the the pzeros and almost numb.

I did 38psi all round.

Is it normal for new tyres? And will the feel come as they wear in?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I've a feeling the alignment may have been done incorrectly, as the turn in seems almost gone, it's not direct anymore and hardly no response when turning, almost like you need to over turn it to get it moving in the desired direction.

New tyres can take a few miles to 'scrub in', maybe the spacers are also contributing?

Too much done at once I would say. New tyres, new wheel spacers and the car having an alignment all at once is a recipe for issues IMO. I would try to back track a little by removing the spacers and see how it feels then.

New tyres can take a few miles to 'scrub in', maybe the spacers are also contributing?
I'm thinking so. The alignment was done after the spacers were put in so the alignment is based off the offset. Also the alignment company were not using the most upto date geometry for the car as they didn't have the data for the 2017 onwards rs3

Steering feels considerably heavier, less direct

Well yes, and it will, as you've added positive scrub radius; it might look good but looking good and having a positive result while driving is another matter; try removing the spacers and see if your original 'feel' returns - me thinks it might...

Positive scrub radius

Well yes, and it will, as you've added positive scrub radius; it might look good but looking good and having a positive result while driving is another matter; try removing the spacers and see if your original 'feel' returns - me thinks it might...

View attachment 179538

Thanks pal, I definitely will do that and see what the result is. I don't even know why I bothered putting them in (11mm all round) in the first place, had no idea it could affect the feel like it has.

Here is the alignment report btw.

My car is 2017 RS3 with mag ride. The alignment was based off the data for 2013-(MQB-8V) Standard Suspension, not sure if that has any bearing on the end result also.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190407_182120.jpg
    thumbnail_20190407_182120.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 217
My car is 2017 RS3 with mag ride. The alignment was based off the data for 2013-(MQB-8V) Standard Suspension, not sure if that has any bearing on the end result also.

But yes, of course it will: Audi spend hours and hours developing a road-going set-up so I do wonder sometimes why go away from that. Appearance ok, I get that, but that in the eye of the beholder. Go back to OEM STD and get the alignment checked/adjusted taking into account tyre pressures, fuel weight, driver/passenger weight, etc., to your own car - or do your own thing and see if you can improve on AUDI development engineering.

You're totally right will be going back to the OEM settings and scrapping the spacers all together. The car is going into the dealer next week for a recall on some under body corrosion protection treatment anyway so they will sort the alignment out at the same time. Will get the spacers off tomorrow and report back. Thanks

Reactions: 45bvtc
Just an update. So I removed the spacers and went back to the OEM alignment via Audi. Although the car seems somewhat more responsive I think it's safe to say that the feel that I had prior, was more down to the wheel type rather than spacers/ alignment. The continentals compared with the Pirelli are a very different tyre with it's own feel which has improved throughout the past few days (wearing in maybe).

I think the factory settings are still the best. You need to try several options and stay at the most acceptable option. I think so. By the way, you can appreciate my tires and forged wheels Motion Wheels, I installed recently.
5e34bf8f39c7a5ab2f318219236bece0.jpg
68f35ad13f305883c511ab7b660e94e0.jpg

I really like the new sensations. I now feel more responsive steering, the car has become more stable. I like. This is MM111 series.
Those wheels are stunning. 235/35?