new year and new budget

tubby-ben

Reaction score
well now after xmas i am left with a tidy £1000 to spend on the old girl, standard 1998 a3 2wd agu turbo.
done oil and filter change recently. would love to start modding asap. want something smooth driving, exhaust noise powerfull rather than just loud and tinny, obviously more power, better handling, and stopping power to match. can this be done on my budget?

ive got a set of coilovers for sale £100 pm me if interested

If I had £1000 to spend on a standard 1.8t, I'd spent £350 on a Milltek non res catback, then £150 on a st1 map. £200 o. Some is
Ex coilovers, £260 on eibach arbs, and te remaining £40 on a Jetex filter to make it sound wicked :)

That is of course assuming its in good conditiOn already and doesn't need things like bushes or a new DV

miltek cat back for £350?... remap for £150?

If I had a tenner I'd spend £6 on a Lamborghini, £2 on insurance for a year and £2 on some 20" alloys for it

Reactions: Buzzer
Rtech were doing Milltek catback non res systems for AAAAAGES, so i don't see why they still wouldn't be doing so.

I was wrong on the map though, Rtech stage 1 is £200, although there was also a long term £50 off off in Golf+ mag, that may have no ended.

Remember, 1.8T stuff is cheaper than S3 stuff in almost every way.

Revo have also run an offer a few times of £99 for stage 1 maps on cable throttle cars.

Storm performance do a stage 1 map for £150 for cable throttle cars too.

Rtech are in Hinckley, I have their stage 1 map on my daily and it's brilliant, or a bit closer to you are Storm Developments in Aldermaston who do their own maps, or JKM in portsmouth if you wanted a REVO map.

im about 45 minutes from amd essex. are these boys any good? remap about 300 quid i think for an amd map

They're not bad, but if it came down to £200 + £100 in fuel to Rtech (it won't cost you £100!) or £300 at AMD locally, I'd still make the trip to Rtech.

Having driven back to back Rtech/AMD mapped cars, with logs to back up data, the RTech map is far superior

thanks prawn, was just thinking if i ran into problems on way home etc amdessex is not far. ive heard of turbo failings, split pipes etc of increasing boost and wouldnt want to start thinking about towing costs. will be giving it great thought over the next week for sure. thanks buddy...

thanks prawn, was just thinking if i ran into problems on way home etc amdessex is not far. ive heard of turbo failings, split pipes etc of increasing boost and wouldnt want to start thinking about towing costs. will be giving it great thought over the next week for sure. thanks buddy...

Don't boot it until you get home... problem solved.

My Rtech map i`ve just had done was £250 for mapping and £25 for the physical chipping. Well worth it though :D

full service including cambelt and ALL fluids....... this will cost about 500 - 600 depending where you o and what fluids you use

if you cars history is upto date and you dont fancy the above, remap, second hand performance suspension and an air fresher

If I had £1000 to spend on a standard 1.8t, I'd spent £350 on a Milltek non res catback, then £150 on a st1 map. £200 o. Some is
Ex coilovers, £260 on eibach arbs, and te remaining £40 on a Jetex filter to make it sound wicked :)

That is of course assuming its in good conditiOn already and doesn't need things like bushes or a new DV

Prawns got this one nailed I think. £1000 isn't a lot when you start bolting things on.

I'd ensure properly serviced and check can belt integrity.

If all clear, do the map first and account for an uprated forge dv and air filter.

Then id uprate the exhaust...a custom one might be cheaper than miltek buy everyone have a preference.

Then money might be gone after those but arb's are good, so is the dog bone mount, quickshifter etc...nice little ones that help along the way.

Good luck

thanks guys, the cam belt was done not long ago , ive done fluids myself, im no mechanic but i do know my way around stuff. mot was done last month with very very minor advisories,mainly to scruffy rear discs, so i know my cars engine is pretty sound. i will do plug change at weekend though.