New Year - new suspension!

I bet you've seen a few in your time Karlos......:hubbahubba:

Last edited:
I would avoid poly bushes in the wishbones and trailing arms, personally. I prefer standard oem replacements that are pressed in.
I have heard on some other vehicle applications where the poly bushes are split in half, that the bushes have come out of position !
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned new track rod ends, would be worth some fresh oem ones if you're doing the rest.

I've seen a couple of nasty looking bushes in my time! The ones where the sides are all split and the middle bit is all out of shape :(

Obviously been ridden hard. It's when they start to smell, they really need replacing ;)

Reactions: Westy
Update - Well the car passed it's MOT yesterday so the mission is on. Just need to get some prices for the OE parts and then it's time to start splashing the cash!

hello mate, was reading through your post and noticed you mentioned you were possibly after a set of standard rear tie bars? i've got a spare set if you're interested? switched out from my S3 after the first 25k from new.

Cheers mate, but it kinda depends on the condition of mine. Although if yours are in decent nick I suppose I could refurb them and fit new bushes and just slot them in.....the only thing is they're probably worth more to you than they are to me, if you know what I mean...?

ha ha, and so it ever was mate! well let me know how you get on and if you're still interested give me a shout.

Update - I've pretty much got the parts list together now with appropriate pricing, however I have two questions before taking the plunge:

1. Rear tie bars. I seem to recall some horror stories of KW bars snapping? The alternative are Forge bars but they are £80ish dearer. I've discounted Comprake (don't fancy rose jointed ends) and gruvenparts (delivery lead times and potential import tax). Thoughts? £80 is definitely a small price to pay for not crashing but is the snapping due to seized bushes or dodgy bars?

2. Front ride height. I've seen threads (Jojo's springs to mind) where the billy/eibach combo leads to a slightly higher front end and was wondering if polo top mounts would help bring it down a little? If so do you just need the plates/cups or the rubbers aswell? Would the cups work with LCR rubbers?

Ride heights ok on mine Dave.... Fronts lower if anything...
A3D011F3-B93F-459D-9BCC-ACC9E2AD6E8C-23606-00000AC9D1728F8E.jpg

FB41FC28-B139-45F0-9699-74E6B7734983-23606-00000AC9C956DFB8.jpg

Cheers Cecil, what top mounts are in there? I take it the rims are 18's? Is it flat or sat on a slope?

That sits really well, god I can't wait to drag mine down from the clouds!!

Thanks mate :)

That just leaves me with the question about the tie bars then....? To Forge or not to Forge, that is the question!

Yeah I would have preferred Dave's to be honest but ho hum. Out of the the others the Forge bars sound like the better product but the extra £80 is hard to swallow, especially as the costs are mounting!

I fitted KW's and they did seem very good quality

heres a quick pic I took

0D6F0F62-BDC5-464D-AE5B-88B1C2B31057-9272-00000B94DBFEF75B.jpg

[Dave B];1757709 said:
Cheers Hoggy, they do look well put together. Did they come with those bushes fitted?

yes Dave that's how they come straight out of the box

I've just bought a set from America they're made by Megan racing. They are rose bushes, but from the reviews I've seen an the price I paid I figured they were worth a punt. All in including import charges I paid about £160 quid.

yes Dave that's how they come straight out of the box

Didn't realise they came with bushes, did you leave these in or replace with poly?

She had new shoes all round yesterday so I need to get my finger out and get this done to preserve the rubber.

[Dave B];1760004 said:
Didn't realise they came with bushes, did you leave these in or replace with poly?

She had new shoes all round yesterday so I need to get my finger out and get this done to preserve the rubber.

You're obviously not feeling the January squeeze!

so kw coilovers arent that good then compaired to other set ups for street use

[Dave B];1760004 said:

I just left them in mate

It's slow, but there is progress here. Parts list finalised and competing quotes received. The spending has begun with a set of Dave's tie bars which should be here on Tuesday....piccies to follow.

[Dave B];1776468 said:
It's slow, but there is progress here. Parts list finalised and competing quotes received. The spending has begun with a set of Dave's tie bars which should be here on Tuesday....piccies to follow.

There's no point rushing it mate. It's a big job so double check you have everything you need before you start. It'll be easy enough to do in your beautiful garage ;)

Yeah there's no particular rush, it's just now that I've decided to do it I can't help myself. Hopefully it should be straight forward, I'll have a mate helping, the tunes on and the use of my new impact wrench to help speed things up!

So only two months later, I've finally ordered all the parts...pics and updates to come when they land.

Nice one! There's nothing better than a properly setup car with decent suspension and new bushes.

I've nearly got mine sorted too. Problem is, renewing everything has made a knock more obvious!

Woooop! Parts have just arrived at my work :yahoo:

I have another question, is it worth doing the front subframe, rear bushes at the same time? I'm not interested in going solid (yo), maybe just replacing with OE or an OE upgrade (I've read that the TT roadster bushes may be firmer?).

Me = excited lots.

awesome spec list dave, hope fitting goes well! The only thing i would mention is it may be worth fitting poly front arb bushes, just to even up on the over steer that you will get from a stiff bushed larger rear one and stop it being too twitchy :)

awesome spec list dave, hope fitting goes well! The only thing i would mention is it may be worth fitting poly front arb bushes, just to even up on the over steer that you will get from a stiff bushed larger rear one and stop it being too twitchy :)

Cheers future, I did contemplate poly ARB bushes but after much deliberation decided to stick with OE ARB bushes front and rear (well OE R32 rear). Hopefully the balance will be ok, I drive a fat rear ARB'd 205 half of the time so i'm comfortable with a twitchy rear ;-)

First pic, Molly the cat likes it so much she's decided to eat the ARB:

Suspension.JPG

Everything's there apart from the correct front ARB bushes, I've received 21mm items rather than 19mm...

Reactions: Sam_
I'm just looking on ETKA at bolts and stuff for the work and noticed that there are multiple tiebars available for S3's, some for 'Heavy Duty' suspension, anyone used/use these? How are they different?

tiebar.jpg

So, update time.....so far I've fitted:

Rear ARB
Rear springs
Rear shocks
Adj. tie bars (in the top position)
New inner bushes in the lower tie bars
Poly trailing arm front bush in OS arm

The major hiccup so far has been the bush collar in the OS trailing arm seizing to the bolt....this little fecker has added about 6 hours to the job so far:

bush%20grrr.JPG

Tonight I'll be attacking the other arm bush.....I sincerely hope its not seized to the bolt....if it is then I'm tempted to push the car out of the garage and set fire to it.

Reactions: Sam_