Newb - straight in at the deep end

J1MMY

Reaction score
Hello folks

Due to the forced abandonment of my last project I have an AEB code 1.8t engine with no home.

I don't really want an A4 (the easy route) and have always had a fondness for type 89's (I think you call them B3's?) having had a 90 some years ago. I've been looking up the idea of fitting the engine in a coupe quattro as it is more powerful than standard would be wasted in FWD. I'm not massively clued up on gearbox codes and the cars they came in but from what I read on Vortex and fourtitude the four pot turbo lump will bolt straight onto an 01A gearbox. Which engine had that particular gearbox or did all of the 5 pot quattro coupes have them?

I've already found a couple of likely candidates for purchase, just hinging on being 100% before committing to buying anything.

Is there anyone in the UK that has done this conversion?

Cheers:sm4:

im busy putting a aeb into my b3 90 quattro, the aeb will bolt to any of the gearboxes from the petrol b3's, if it has mounts on the chassis legs you can use a audi 80 b4 passenger side engine mount of a 2l with efi (not sure of the engine code) as for the drivers you can buy a 80 cabriolet 1.8 20v(adr) mount £105 plus the vat when i priced it up, or you can do as i did and found a 1.8 20v adr a6(last of the old shape) and modify the mount... i can get pics if you want. good luck

Been reading a lot on fourtitude, vortex, motorgeek etc and I have managed to get myself in a pickle over the gearbox scenario. (Doh):readit:

some are saying the 1.8t won't mount on a 5 pot 'box because the input shaft is too long. Others are saying that only a 4 pot 'box will be ok with the AEB and then others are saying that it can mount to a V6 (B4) bellhousing! Argh!:tocktock:

Doing my head in as I've found a 5 pot quattro not far from me but obv. don't want to grab it if it isn't going to be right.

ah ok!! its just theres a blue a4 rolling round my area with almost your exact name as their registration! thought it could be you and that i could put you in touch with a couple of my local contacts but your abit far away really!!

I don't think I have ever been to Boston?:sorry:

Well, looks like Sam's project is about to have a sibling, won an '88 90Q on ebay this afternoon.:jump: