Newbie with SatNav question

EddyH

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a used A3 for my wife and it either has to come with SatNav or I need to be able to retrofit satnav. I've noticed that the centre console layout seems to be different with different radios. Is there a specific radio I need to go for to ensure SatNav can be retrofitted or can the centre console arrangement be easily/cheaply adjusted to accomadate the SatNav?

i'll beat the crowds on this one - try

www.navplus.us/forum

everything you need to know is on there - and our resident expert is craigyb!

good luck and welcome to audi sport

Eddy you need this Audi Symphony II radio/cassette
RedAudi03Small.jpg

rich1068 said:
Ha! Slow 'drip drip' since Inters 06 Eddy? :)

Yep. Not sure exactly what we want yet but have narrowed it down to a 2.0TDI Manual in sportback or 3dr (facelift) guise, Sport or S-Line trim, and preferably Quattro.

We quite like the look of this one: http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501581731

Finding an S-line Quattro (our preferred spec) with double DIN radio for under £20k is proving difficult. They all seem to have single DIN radios.

From what I have seen on here it is possible to change the single din Concert II for the double din satnav but it's $$$ and certainly not for the faint hearted. As already mentioned, it's that craigyb chap you'd have to speak to.

rich1068 said:
From what I have seen on here it is possible to change the single din Concert II for the double din satnav but it's $$$ and certainly not for the faint hearted. As already mentioned, it's that craigyb chap you'd have to speak to.

You know I don't mind doing a bit of modification! Obviously though if I can make it easier for myself then I will.

Depends on how handy you are with the screwdrivers really.

To do the Single to Double DIN conversion is definitely DIY able for anyone who doesn't mind taking things to pieces and then have the ability to put them back together again.

I think it cost upwards of £1500 + to have it fitted professionally.

or....

You can buy the bit and follow the great guide on www.navplus.us and fit it yourself for around £550-£600.

Anyone who has used a Haynes manual will be familiar with the 'number of spanners' difficulty scoring system. I'd rate the Double DIN conversion a 3 (maybe 4) out of 5 spanners.

The biggest problem for a lot of people will be VAG-COM or lack of it to do the necessary coding when you have actually installed the unit.

marms said:

He's pretty handy! Changed all the clocks and fitted satnav into his Octavia 4x4.

marms said:

To do the Single to Double DIN conversion is definitely DIY able for anyone who doesn't mind taking things to pieces and then have the ability to put them back together again.

I think it cost upwards of £1500 + to have it fitted professionally.

or....

You can buy the bit and follow the great guide on www.navplus.us and fit it yourself for around £550-£600.

Anyone who has used a Haynes manual will be familiar with the 'number of spanners' difficulty scoring system. I'd rate the Double DIN conversion a 3 (maybe 4) out of 5 spanners.

The biggest problem for a lot of people will be VAG-COM or lack of it to do the necessary coding when you have actually installed the unit.

I've had a quick skim through the how to and it looks pretty simple; good news as it opens up alot more cars as potential buys.

Beddie said:
Hiya Eddy, long time no speak and all that mate :)

How about this one? comes in just under your £20K budget.. http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Audi-A3-2.0TD-quattro-S-Line-Hatchback-3dr-Car-Newbury--crpId501594278-CarDetails.aspx

Or how about a Sportback not 'too' far away from you in Huddersfield? http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Audi-A3-2.0TD-quattro-S-Line-Hatchback-5dr-Car-Huddersfield--crpId501322848-CarDetails.aspx

Yeah long time no speak and thanks for the links. :)

rich1068 said:
He's pretty handy! Changed all the clocks and fitted satnav into his Octavia 4x4.

:icon_thumright:

If all goes according to plan then we'll have an A3 tomorrow. It's not an S-Line or Quattro but we like it. I'll wait until we actually have it before I post any details.