Next Gen RS3, or not ???

Noise for noise sake sounds crap, there was a vid posted somewhere of some chap who’d made his RS3 pop and crackle pretty much permanently and to me it sounded ****** awful.

I’ve a PFL with sports exhaust which is plenty for me, day to day it’s pretty unobtrusive and if you want some crackles stick it in dynamic and go play ;)

Wouldn’t mind if there was a way to dial down the cold start noise though, more because of the stupid behaviour of the gearbox in that you push the throttle but it’s like it’s slipping the clutch. Which results in more noise and not much go, makes it look like I’m trying to make a racket when I just want to drive off quietly ;)

Then after the minute or so it’s all back to normal, drives me mental.

The throttle blip it does on a warm start is less annoying, depending on the time of night ;)

The article suggests that the next RS3 will be a tweaked version of the S3 4 pot :anguished: albeit pushing 420 bhp. So we may lose the RS3’s ace card 5 pot engine :(
No chance the next RS3 will be a 4-pot. It’ll be a tweaked version of the current engine with maybe a small electric engine strapped on.

Reactions: infernox
****** there’s not a cat in hells chance youll get a super muted one.

Your already an advocate of the PFL and hater of the FL
Lol I don't hate the FL, tis quieter though :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

No chance the next RS3 will be a 4-pot. It’ll be a tweaked version of the current engine with maybe a small electric engine strapped on.

Well I'm only going on what the article says.
Don't get me wrong, I would also hate it if we lose the 2.5 litre for a 2.0 litre 4 pot ... but I would not say no chance :sadlike:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Don't get me wrong, I would also hate it if we lose the 2.5 litre for a 2.0 litre 4 pot ... but I would not say no chance :sadlike:

It won't matter by then Snake.........you'll be driving the Tesla that the other member is raving about :whistle2:

Complete with fake 5 pot noise.

Reactions: NevMan
Fingers crossed. The big selling point of the RS3 is the noise. Let’s be blunt, there’s better/more (or at least as good) fun handling cars out there. And you can tune these 4 pot engines to silly power. I really doubt I’d buy a 4 cylinder RS3!

Fingers crossed. The big selling point of the RS3 is the noise. Let’s be blunt, there’s better/more (or at least as good) fun handling cars out there. And you can tune these 4 pot engines to silly power. I really doubt I’d buy a 4 cylinder RS3!

I totally agree ... although on the flip side it could boost the value of our current cars if they are the last to use the 2.5 litre.

Reactions: Enbarr and infernox
I totally agree ... although on the flip side it could boost the value of our current cars if they are the last to use the 2.5 litre.
Another reason why I'll go for the current model as opposed to waiting. Can't say the look of the new model makes me "must have" it.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

What about a 7 cylinder RS3

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
The article suggests that the next RS3 will be a tweaked version of the S3 4 pot :anguished: albeit pushing 420 bhp. So we may lose the RS3’s ace card 5 pot engine :(

Surely if that happens, Audi will lose even more custom like with the S “diesel “ debacle

It won't matter by then Snake.........you'll be driving the Tesla that the other member is raving about :whistle2:

Complete with fake 5 pot noise.

Now who could that member possibly be? Oh yeah

Reactions: AudiNutta and T-800
Surely if that happens, Audi will lose even more custom like with the S “diesel “ debacle
I have to say that I think the move to diesel for the S4, S5 etc is a stroke of genius. I listened earlier today to the new S4, and I think it sounds great for a diesel. Definitely would be a car I’ll consider next....whereas if it stayed Petrol, definitely not.

I have to say that I think the move to diesel for the S4, S5 etc is a stroke of genius. I listened earlier today to the new S4, and I think it sounds great for a diesel. Definitely would be a car I’ll consider next....whereas if it stayed Petrol, definitely not.

That will be the fake sound mimicking a V6 petrol

Reactions: infernox and SPIKE_
Lol I don't hate the FL, tis quieter though :tearsofjoy:

TX.

The 2018 FL was excellent for noise, it’s the 2019 Model including the Sport Edition that have lost most of the sound due to emission regulations. Although on the plus side, the sound of the 5-pot is much better and not drowned out with the pops & bangs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: infernox
Varying theories around why they are diesel for Europe, from WLTP and model range “allowances/emissions” to VW Group have spent a shedload on diesel tech and what to shift units, not helped by Porsche no longer doing diesels.

But then they do odd things like release a V6 Petrol Touareg

still have the need for a new next gen RS3 when it happens, money is still there for 1 even if its 60k list price
but now my dad has asked to borrow some £££££'s , which may put a dent in funds for a short while.
So hopefully i get it back before they release any details in the coming months/years as i want to be on a list, as soon as i can get on a list, do they even do a list these days, how do you even get on a list for an upcoming new model ????????

Looks like PCW exhaust mod doesn't really help the PPF RS3. Sounds way worse than my FL RS3 PCW Mod.

Looks like PCW exhaust mod doesn't really help the PPF RS3. Sounds way worse than my FL RS3 PCW Mod.

Compare that with PFL just with a decat!

TX.

Compare that with PFL just with a decat!

TX.

I will say that after going to some VAG meetups over here I can definitely see a big difference in how the pfl and fl rs3 sounds even if you completely disregard the downshift pops and bangs. Granted I have my valves permanently open and the secondary decat but I've run into some tuned fl cars with all sorts of crackle maps and aftermarket exhausts and while they may absolutely walk me in a race it dosen't sound anywhere near as good as mine imo. I don't contest the fl is a better car but it definitely doesn't sound as good which was the primary reason I bought the car ;)

In regards to original question we still don't have the PPF rs3 here to be fair but from the videos I've seen it wouldn't even be a question... Buy a well optioned, low mileage 2018 plate (pre PPF). The 2021 or 2022 or whenever it comes rs3 will probably take the sound, or lack thereof further and I don't see the point in buying an rs3 then. Tragic. Without the sound I'd definitely have stayed in my Mk7 R and probably ended up in an m2 comp or something similar.

Reactions: infernox, Terminator x and NevMan
W.O.W - the best sounding bar none
does sound good but for us old folk maybe not so
we like 'sedate'
tea and biscuits
long walks
cruise ships
looking at hills
cloud formations
like we have lost the plot and memory
tea and biscuits
LOL

Reactions: Riko0073, NevMan, D0C and 5 others
does sound good but for us old folk maybe not so
we like 'sedate'
tea and biscuits
long walks
cruise ships
looking at hills
cloud formations
like we have lost the plot and memory
tea and biscuits
LOL
Yep,,being an oldie,I love my new S3 doesn't pop or fart!

Reactions: GW1 and Mr Freeze
I love my new RS3, i may go to PCW but im loving it how it is to be fair.

Reactions: GW1 and NevMan
That’s my motor and sounds alll good for me, vid don’t do it justice tbh

069-F1-D18-DA3-B-4302-B29-C-66-C33-F5-AA1-A3.jpg
[/url] [/IMG] PFl or FL I loved my Rs3. Never thought my head could be turned to be fair. Then this happened. Different ball game.

Reactions: NevMan, Terminator x and DW81
Lovely mate, I bet it is a different kettle of fish altogether

Reactions: Radman
Lovely mate, I bet it is a different kettle of fish altogether
Thanks mate. Yes, as much as I loved the RS3, this has blown me away. Such a competent car, especially now with the 4wd. I’ll always miss the RS, had some great times in it, but the M5 is mindblowingly quick.

Reactions: NevMan, Terminator x and DW81
I always looked at the M5 is a possible next step as its pretty much an upgraded RS3 Saloon in a way, but I think it'd be too big for me. I don't think the exhaust sound is a step up though. More like a side step but it depends on what you like.

Reactions: PeteRS3lee