Next model A3

Not caring how a car drives is a strange one!

I'd rather have a nicer interior than a car that drives better around the twisty countryside roads as that's where the Ford's seem to get more praise.

I'm sat in the car 100% of the time looking at the interior and touching the wheel etc.
10% of time is going round twisty roads where handling makes a difference.

Reactions: Kondax
I can kind of understand. I much prefer it to have an amazing design and be packed with goodies. I'm not a performance enthusiast, I'd like the car to get me from A to B rather well but I'm not going to go insane over it.

Main reason I chose an A3 over the A class was because I hate the back end of the A class (2019 model is really nice though). 1 series wasn't even an option because I hate the interior.

Next car might be an A class though.. love the new design. Also really like the A7 too though, lol

You’ve misunderstood. I care a lot about how the car drives, but there are other things that are important as well, when choosing a car.

I suspect most here in the A3 owners section probably agree because the Golf is a better drivers car than the A3, and the Leon probably is too. Yet we all own the Audi so clearly how it drives isn’t the be all and end all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
I drive an Audi over a Ford/vw/seat whatever because it looks better, feels better, smells better, is better. Not sure I’ll ever drive so precisely enough to know the difference in how an S3 compares to a golf R or whatever in driving terms, and a Ford could drive 20 times better than my Audi and I still wouldn’t drive it lol. I also dislike the new merc, the rear is awful as is the interior dash, funny how people can have such polar opposite views, the world would be one boring place I guess if not.

Reactions: KenL, NevMan, Kayobong and 1 other person

Think most people would acknowledge that Audi's aren't the last word in handling. A few slip through the crack, which is frustrating, as you'd think if VW & SEAT can make there cars handle better, then why can't Audi?

Most car's I've bought over the years have been either the best in class, or comparable with. Yet, I always hankered after an S3. Don't know why, as I knew there would be better cars to drive for the same money or cheaper. Think the allure of Audi is great (no so much now) external design, great interior design and build, with the security of AWD on it's performance model.

The most comparable car I've owned to the S3, is my old 2005 Subaru Impreza STI PPP. Both car are Saloon, have AWD and about 300bhp. But they couldn't be more different. Where the Scooby was cheap scratchy plastic, and rubbish sound system, the S3 has a well made stylish dashboard, and with B&O, has a great sound system. The Scooby seats were better to sit in, than the S3's SS seats though.

But where the Scooby would out handle the S3 every day of the week, it could become tiring on long journeys, as it has stupidly short gear ratio's. The S3 is such a great all rounder. Quick when you want it to be, but relaxing when you wanted that too. Makes motorway journeys relaxing, where the Subaru would get annoying for passengers.

Although both cars had 300bhp, the S3 engine is in a different league to the Flat 4. While the Subaru has character, the S3 engine in comparison is quite dull but pulls so much stronger.

Given the choice of both cars, I'd choose the S3 every day. While I miss the fun factor of the Subaru, the fact the S3 doesn't handle quite as well, really doesn't bother me.

This S3 is the longest I've owned a car. I just can't think of any other car on sale today that can do everything the S3 does, that I need it to do.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Muttley75, Pook and 5 others
Think most people would acknowledge that Audi's aren't the last word in handling. A few slip through the crack, which is frustrating, as you'd think if VW & SEAT can make there cars handle better, then why can't Audi?

Most car's I've bought over the years have been either the best in class, or comparable with. Yet, I always hankered after an S3. Don't know why, as I knew there would be better cars to drive for the same money or cheaper. Think the allure of Audi is great (no so much now) external design, great interior design and build, with the security of AWD on it's performance model.

The most comparable car I've owned to the S3, is my old 2005 Subaru Impreza STI PPP. Both car are Saloon, have AWD and about 300bhp. But they couldn't be more different. Where the Scooby was cheap scratchy plastic, and rubbish sound system, the S3 has a well made stylish dashboard, and with B&O, has a great sound system. The Scooby seats were better to sit in, than the S3's SS seats though.

But where the Scooby would out handle the S3 every day of the week, it could become tiring on long journeys, as it has stupidly short gear ratio's. The S3 is such a great all rounder. Quick when you want it to be, but relaxing when you wanted that too. Makes motorway journeys relaxing, where the Subaru would get annoying for passengers.

Although both cars had 300bhp, the S3 engine is in a different league to the Flat 4. While the Subaru has character, the S3 engine in comparison is quite dull but pulls so much stronger.

Given the choice of both cars, I'd choose the S3 every day. While I miss the fun factor of the Subaru, the fact the S3 doesn't handle quite as well, really doesn't bother me.

This S3 is the longest I've owned a car. I just can't think of any other car on sale today that can do everything the S3 does, that I need it to do.

I’m very similar to you, I know for less or similar I could have got say a Focus ST3, Focus RS, Golf R etc but I always had an itch for an S3 as just seemed to be more of a complete package.

Other than the latest TT and R8 designs I really don’t like where Audi are going. A1 looked ok at 1st but the interior is so random, new A7 looks tacky with its shiny screens and horrible wheel designs.

Other than getting back into a TT I can’t see myself choosing a new Audi at the moment, really struggle with the new designs.

Reactions: KenL, Snake Pliskin, Kayobong and 1 other person
I’m very similar to you, I know for less or similar I could have got say a Focus ST3, Focus RS, Golf R etc but I always had an itch for an S3 as just seemed to be more of a complete package.

Other than the latest TT and R8 designs I really don’t like where Audi are going. A1 looked ok at 1st but the interior is so random, new A7 looks tacky with its shiny screens and horrible wheel designs.

Other than getting back into a TT I can’t see myself choosing a new Audi at the moment, really struggle with the new designs.

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment minus owning an S3, just an A3 for me. But I'm not into all of the touch screen nonsense, much prefer having the scroll wheel in the centre console, just seems like it would be much safer that having to look down at the screens. I really hope they deliver on the A3, I personally think it's the most important car in their range, they've always done it well so here's hoping they can continue the trend and not just up-size the A1.

Reactions: TYb
I'm in the same boat as you at the moment minus owning an S3, just an A3 for me. But I'm not into all of the touch screen nonsense, much prefer having the scroll wheel in the centre console, just seems like it would be much safer that having to look down at the screens. I really hope they deliver on the A3, I personally think it's the most important car in their range, they've always done it well so here's hoping they can continue the trend and not just up-size the A1.
I’m not sure who Audi are trying to target with the new A7 / A8 touch screen based interiors. They are a pain to operate whilst driving I’ve got a friend who’s got one of the new Golf R’s and he much prefers the infotainment setup in my S3. Think this is where Audi has dropped the ball compared to BMW and Merc who have given the option of touch screens but retained the scroll wheel for those who still want to use it.

Reactions: KenL, Kayobong, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
completely agree, makes sense to keep the scroll wheel option, which BMW have down perfectly in their new X3 and 3 series will follow etc.

Reactions: KenL, Kayobong, Bells and 2 others

My S3 is the longest I’ve owned a car for too, and I’m in the same boat struggling to think of something to replace it with. To be honest I had been considering a FL RS3 in the past couple of months but the prices are seriously inflated at the moment and I’m not sure whether I’d be kicking myself after the initial honeymoon period about spending an extra 10k ish for some extra exhaust + engine noise, plus the additional running costs.

Would love a Porsche Cayman but with a £30-£35k budget it’d be dated compared to the tech in my current car that I reckon I’d miss. Although it’d probably hold its value a bit better than my S3.

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and TYb
I'm in the same boat. I've went for the modest 1.5 tfsi sportback (Black Edition) with stronic and a few other options. Coming from a Golf GTI i know and have resigned myself to the fact that the performance of the 1.5 tfsi is nowhere near that of the GTI or even the classic GTI styling, but comfort is important to me as I cover approx 40k miles per year and the thought of spending another 130k miles in another Golf (regardless of model) just doesn't do it for me.

With that in mind i'm really looking forward to the A3 interior, stronic transmission, B&O sound system and 5 doors (this will be my first 5 door hatch in 17 years) and the MMI. Trust me, touch screen can be a real pain and quite dangerous at times. I really do hope that I dont miss the touchscreen and although it's going to break my heart leaving the GTI I'm hoping I will love my A3 just as much!

Reactions: KenL
I'm in the same boat. I've went for the modest 1.5 tfsi sportback (Black Edition) with stronic and a few other options. Coming from a Golf GTI i know and have resigned myself to the fact that the performance of the 1.5 tfsi is nowhere near that of the GTI or even the classic GTI styling, but comfort is important to me as I cover approx 40k miles per year and the thought of spending another 130k miles in another Golf (regardless of model) just doesn't do it for me.

With that in mind i'm really looking forward to the A3 interior, stronic transmission, B&O sound system and 5 doors (this will be my first 5 door hatch in 17 years) and the MMI. Trust me, touch screen can be a real pain and quite dangerous at times. I really do hope that I dont miss the touchscreen and although it's going to break my heart leaving the GTI I'm hoping I will love my A3 just as much!

I’m likely going the other way. 3dr A3 to 5dr GTI. Always wanted a GTI, always ended up buying something else at the last minute for some unfathomable reason. I don’t think I’d want another current gen A3 as it’s starting to feel a bit long in the tooth on the tech side. And the numb steering makes it rather dull to drive. The GTI is a nicer looking car IMO plus you get a lot more kit as standard for a few grand less. Although both cars are due for replacement soon and I’m not sure if the new models will be out in time for me to consider then next September. In the meantime, orders are being closed on the existing lineup so I might end up being a bit stuck come the end of my pcp!

Reactions: NevMan
I may be looking a a different car to an A3 when the time comes to change. I am partly disabled and cannot walk any distance and use an electric mobility scooter. As both myself and my wife are getting older (both 71) it is becoming more difficult to lift even my light weight scooter in to the back of the A3. I am considering a Golf Estate as the load lip is quite a bit lower than on an A3. The Estate would actually work out cheaper than my existing A3 but would only have a 150 bhp engine and no quattro, but I think I could live with that. It would be full circle as I owned five VWs in the passed including three GTIs and a VR6 before changing to Audi. It's a pity that Audi do not make an estate version of the A3. It will be interesting to see what the new Golf 8 is like.

Reactions: Paul finch and Kondax
I was a bit unsure about what i want to be honest, even though I have another S3 on order to replace my 2 year old S3 I’ve had a test drive in a Golf GTD (amongst others), I thought it was ok, until I got back in to my S3 that is, not a fan if I’m honest when making the comparison, it’s a decent diesel though but they were asking over £500 (S3 is sub £400 same deposit etc, BE with bits) a month for it once I’d spec’d it with leather and other bits (normal upholstery is horrible), I realised then that the S3 SB is my sweet spot, fits the fishing kit in, roomy enough for me the Mrs and the dog for our 2/3 trips up to applecross each year. I keep looking at deals but end up asking the question, why switch, I love it?

Reactions: TonkS3 and Jcbmally
And I’m looking at coming the other way from VW to audi!

I’ve got a mk7 gti performance pack which is ****** lovely but I’ve always wanted the s3/rs3. My pcp is up in March 2020 so need to look at ordering next September/December! Anyone know when the next A3 will be announced

And I’m looking at coming the other way from VW to audi!

I’ve got a mk7 gti performance pack which is ****** lovely but I’ve always wanted the s3/rs3. My pcp is up in March 2020 so need to look at ordering next September/December! Anyone know when the next A3 will be announced
Knowing Audi it will probably late 2019 before the new A3 actually hits the road. There is usually a delay in the S3 / RS3 variants getting launched though so you might be pushing it hoping for March 2020.

The new A3 will probably be officially announced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2019 with UK deliveries starting in early 2020.

Reactions: KenL, Bells and NevMan
The new A3 will probably be officially announced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2019 with UK deliveries starting in early 2020.

I’m definitely out then. My 4 year PCP ends in September 2019. I deliberately did a four year in 2015 assuming the new model would be out well before I needed to renew. Sigh.

I might have to pay mine off and order for September 2020 then

Just saying but I think Audi might just do themselves wrong with the new A3. The current FL model is in my opinion spot on. At the most id add better wheel options and perhaps some subtle body styling options . Maybe some different tech inside, perhaps audio upgrades.

I know they need to evolve and whatnot but the current model is highly popular and the way it looks they're just going to detract from it

Shame.

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Just saying but I think Audi might just do themselves wrong with the new A3. The current FL model is in my opinion spot on. At the most id add better wheel options and perhaps some subtle body styling options . Maybe some different tech inside, perhaps audio upgrades.

I know they need to evolve and whatnot but the current model is highly popular and the way it looks they're just going to detract from it

Shame.

Well I hate what they’ve done with the A1 I agree the 8v is lovely I even like the motorised screen!

Reactions: Scotty75
I do agree in a lot of ways, A3 is subtle and classy.

I'm quite intrigued by new A1 but prices look a total joke. Could be tempted by a great deal on an A3 when changing next year.

Well I hate what they’ve done with the A1 I agree the 8v is lovely I even like the motorised screen!
Got to say I'm with you there . I like the motorised MMI and when it annoys you , press a button and it disappears in its little slot . Perfect

Last edited:
I do agree in a lot of ways, A3 is subtle and classy.

I'm quite intrigued by new A1 but prices look a total joke. Could be tempted by a great deal on an A3 when changing next year.
It's been said a few times in this thread already but hell ........ Someone at Audi HQ lost the friggin plot on pricing. Seriously

I'm sure I'm not speaking just for myself , we all head to Audi because as a brand it exudes quality . Craftsmanship. Reliability. You get the point , yes a premium brand but we're not mugs blinded by logos and snazzy brand names.

The prices they are asking for an A1 are nothing short of insulting Same could be said for the A3 . I ran the configurator the other weekend. By the time I specced it to a sensible / decent point I'd gone from around 25k base price to 36k ........ Base model S3 price ......wtf !

Reactions: NevMan, KenL and Kondax
It's been said a few times in this thread already but hell ........ Someone at Audi HQ lost the friggin plot on pricing. Seriously

I'm sure I'm not speaking just for myself , we all head to Audi because as a brand it exudes quality . Craftsmanship. Reliability. You get the point , yes a premium brand but we're not mugs blinded by logos and snazzy brand names.

The prices they are asking for an A1 are nothing short of insulting Same could be said for the A3 . I ran the configurator the other weekend. By the time I specced it to a sensible / decent point I'd gone from around 25k base price to 36k ........ Base model S3 price ......wtf !

Agree, pricing is ridiculous. £26+k for half decent spec A1, WTF!

Reactions: Scotty75
Totally agree mate . Audi's equivalent of a Fiesta at that price ..... No way .

To be honest, the way they're pricing model works is BS .....
Specced A3 =Base S3 - circa 100 ps

Specced S3 = Base RS3........again -circa 100ps

I appreciate they're a business and need to make profit but ****** hell.

We're looking to trade up by 2019/ 2020, I'll be looking for an approved used 2018 FL S3 . Beyond that , I may look elsewhere . Looking at the items they are cutting back on and still hiking prices .........

For example door cill inlays ...... Extra cost . That's just one example , anyone that has run a configurator will get the drift ........ Extras .... Extras

Come on Audi .....

Reactions: NevMan and TYb
To be honest, the way they're pricing model works is BS .....
Specced A3 =Base S3 - circa 100 ps

Specced S3 = Base RS3........again -circa 100ps

I appreciate they're a business and need to make profit but ****** hell.

We're looking to trade up by 2019/ 2020, I'll be looking for an approved used 2018 FL S3 . Beyond that , I may look elsewhere . Looking at the items they are cutting back on and still hiking prices .........

For example door cill inlays ...... Extra cost . That's just one example , anyone that has run a configurator will get the drift ........ Extras .... Extras

Come on Audi .....

Completely agree with what's being said above

I've just went from a Golf GTI to a 1.5 tfsi black edition with stonic with comfort and sound pack and advanced key which came in at £33k! What ****** me off is the options they charge for such as £250 for a folding rear bench which i thought was standard. The fully loaded GTI was £30k.

I was still about £2k short of options i would have liked but couldn't justify a £35k A3 1.5 tfsi

I do however love the current fl model and shape and looks like ill be glad to have this one other than any new A3 next year.

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75
Completely agree with what's being said above

I've just went from a Golf GTI to a 1.5 tfsi black edition with stonic with comfort and sound pack and advanced key which came in at £33k! What ****** me off is the options they charge for such as £250 for a folding rear bench which i thought was standard. The fully loaded GTI was £30k.

I was still about £2k short of options i would have liked but couldn't justify a £35k A3 1.5 tfsi

I do however love the current fl model and shape and looks like ill be glad to have this one other than any new A3 next year.

Do you prefer the A3 over the GTI? A 2nd hand GTI Performance is on my list to replace the S3.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, ASBOST and Muttley75
Do you prefer the A3 over the GTI? A 2nd hand GTI Performance is on my list to replace the S3.

Same here. Looking at a mk7.5 GTI Performance Pack to replace my 1.4 PFL A3 S-Line. From test drives I’ve had it all feels very similar just quicker and much sharper steering and no flat spot when you accelerate which you get on the S-Tronic A3 (unless you drop it into sport mode). Interior seems a notch down in terms of plastics quality but I prefer the style of the Golf dash over the A3 - never been a fan of round air vents! Fully loaded GTI on PCP @ around £30k or half the spec on an A3 for £34

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Scotty75 and TYb
Same here. Looking at a mk7.5 GTI Performance Pack to replace my 1.4 PFL A3 S-Line. From test drives I’ve had it all feels very similar just quicker and much sharper steering and no flat spot when you accelerate which you get on the S-Tronic A3 (unless you drop it into sport mode). Interior seems a notch down in terms of plastics quality but I prefer the style of the Golf dash over the A3 - never been a fan of round air vents! Fully loaded GTI on PCP @ around £30k or half the spec on an A3 for £34

Cheers for the above. I’ll be losing Quattro and a bit of power, need to get out and test a few, I’ve got ages before I change though.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Oh and virtual dash is standard on the GTI. None of this £1500 for the Tech Pack shenanigans.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, NevMan, TYb and 1 other person

I've only had the A3 one day so hard to tell. Performance wise there is no comparison although the 1.5 pick up was surprising quick and the GTI felt a lot faster than its 230bhp....the limited slip diff which you get on the performance pack is incredible and more than a match for my old Megane RS 275 CUP so would highly recommend you get the performance pack.

I LOVE the interior and exterior of my A3 and the B&O system.... Wow!

Reactions: NevMan and TYb
And... Jeremy Clarkson owns a GTI PP as his daily driver. Need I say more? If he likes them, they must be good.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, TYb and ASBOST
Oh and virtual dash is standard on the GTI. None of this £1500 for the Tech Pack shenanigans.

Yeah, i forgot about that one. It wouldn't be half as bad if Audi allowed you to spec the virtual dash at £450 but having to fork out £1500 for the tech pack is not on!

And... Jeremy Clarkson owns a GTI PP as his daily driver. Need I say more? If he likes them, they must be good.

Yes, hes had the GTI PP for over a yar year now so must be good lol

Yeah, i forgot about that one. It wouldn't be half as bad if Audi allowed you to spec the virtual dash at £450 but having to fork out £1500 for the tech pack is not on!
VC is hugely overpriced and when it goes wrong , then what . A guy on here drive home with no rev counter or Speedo a few days back . Luckily for him it was working again the next morning .

Once out of warranty I bet that would be a 2k plus job.

I've only had the A3 one day so hard to tell. Performance wise there is no comparison although the 1.5 pick up was surprising quick and the GTI felt a lot faster than its 230bhp....the limited slip diff which you get on the performance pack is incredible and more than a match for my old Megane RS 275 CUP so would highly recommend you get the performance pack.

I LOVE the interior and exterior of my A3 and the B&O system.... Wow!

I’d definitely get a performance if I get one and the upgraded Audio. Heard great things about the 1.5 engine.

B&O is great isn’t it, keep tinkering with the levels whilst it settles in.

Haha well if Jezza has one then I’m sold.