No 'real' spare tire are they kidding?

J Tinsby

Reaction score
I was going to check the pressure in my newly purchased 2012 TT's spare tire, only to find there isn't one. I thought my wife's SLK was stupid because it had a collapsible spare and a plug in compressor to inflate it. Now that idea is beginning to make a bit of sense after me finding NO spare at all.

What are you guys doing to solve the missing spare issue?Buying a stamped metal wheel and fitting a tire to it? If you do that, where do you get the center hold down bolt that would hold the spare securely to the floor of the car?
Or does that can of stuff really work at least temporarily, until you get a proper fix?

Have to say I am disappointed, had I known that the car came with no spare, I doubt I'd have bought it. I'm all for saving weight and all that but this is utterly stupid imho.

Cheers,

J T

I was going to check the pressure in my newly purchased 2012 TT's spare tire, only to find there isn't one. I thought my wife's SLK was stupid because it had a collapsible spare and a plug in compressor to inflate it. Now that idea is beginning to make a bit of sense after me finding NO spare at all.

What are you guys doing to solve the missing spare issue?Buying a stamped metal wheel and fitting a tire to it? If you do that, where do you get the center hold down bolt that would hold the spare securely to the floor of the car?
Or does that can of stuff really work at least temporarily, until you get a proper fix?

Have to say I am disappointed, had I known that the car came with no spare, I doubt I'd have bought it. I'm all for saving weight and all that but this is utterly stupid imho.

Cheers,

J T

This has been the norm for the majority of cars for well over a decade. Of my last ten cars we’ve had in our household, only three have had spare wheels.

If it has the wheel spare space, eBay one, the plastic screw part is available to buy also, not an issue overall.

If it has the wheel spare space, eBay one, the plastic screw part is available to buy also, not an issue overall.

It has a raised area on the floor of the boot/trunk in the shape of a tyre.....how the hell am I supposed to put anything in there? On top of it OR ??? the limited space around this ring wouldn't' be large enough to fit a spare. I am tempted to get my air chisel out and remove the thing, at least then I could put a correct wheel and tyre in there and be able to secure it. maybe cutting it out will weaken the structure and the back end of the car will part company with the front clip and I'd be rid of the whole blessed thing!

Absolute rubbish imho............... I have a vehicle that is new to me and I am afraid to drive it any distance for fear of a puncture.

I have NO jack, no spare wheel, no compressor and no slop to supposedly seal a small puncture.
Can't imagine what sort of roads Audi expected the car would be driven on. must have been absolutely pristine and free of all garbage and detritus.

I am ready to trade the car for a Prius, say what you might but that little car HAD a spare wheel, and a jack and NO I never had to use it in 65k miles of driving.

Has anyone spent the money for a set of RUN FLAT tyres and if so how badly did they effect the handling and ride?

Thanks.

J T

No one in their right mind would drive around asking for a breakdown on the side of the road with no way to get it sorted. At least not I.

This sucks.

My TT has 19" wheels, I've found a space saver spare on eBay, not sure about finding or purchasing the insert for it to fit into which will replace the existing tray that carries the tools etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It has a raised area on the floor of the boot/trunk in the shape of a tyre.....how the hell am I supposed to put anything in there? On top of it OR ??? the limited space around this ring wouldn't' be large enough to fit a spare. I am tempted to get my air chisel out and remove the thing, at least then I could put a correct wheel and tyre in there and be able to secure it. maybe cutting it out will weaken the structure and the back end of the car will part company with the front clip and I'd be rid of the whole blessed thing!

Absolute rubbish imho............... I have a vehicle that is new to me and I am afraid to drive it any distance for fear of a puncture.

I have NO jack, no spare wheel, no compressor and no slop to supposedly seal a small puncture.
Can't imagine what sort of roads Audi expected the car would be driven on. must have been absolutely pristine and free of all garbage and detritus.

I am ready to trade the car for a Prius, say what you might but that little car HAD a spare wheel, and a jack and NO I never had to use it in 65k miles of driving.

Has anyone spent the money for a set of RUN FLAT tyres and if so how badly did they effect the handling and ride?

Thanks.

J T

No one in their right mind would drive around asking for a breakdown on the side of the road with no way to get it sorted. At least not I.

This sucks.
Buy what you need (Spare wheel, jack, puncture repair kit, spanner, overalls, gloves...... etc) and put them on the back seat.
Or you could just take out breakdown cover and give the headache to someone else.

Buy what you need (Spare wheel, jack, puncture repair kit, spanner, overalls, gloves...... etc) and put them on the back seat.
Or you could just take out breakdown cover and give the headache to someone else.

Ha, ha - I just love constructive advice!

Reactions: Alistair D

Thanks.

J T

This sucks.

Like I said, "IF it has the wheel spare space" lol

Otherwise Alisdair had a good suggestion

My TT has 19" wheels, I've found a space saver spare on eBay, not sure about finding or purchasing the insert for it to fit into which will replace the existing tray that carries the tools etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Update.
Found a brand new space saver spare on eBay (Part number A8S0 601 027A) it comes with top foam insert and all tools and the securing bolt and nut to secure it to the boot floor.
I ordered the bottom foam insert and the two top covers from Audi to complete the parts I need - it cost me £290 altogether!
Needless to say I'm well chuffed!

On a side note Audi will only supply the parts for cars built before 2018.

Update.
Found a brand new space saver spare on eBay (Part number A8S0 601 027A) it comes with top foam insert and all tools and the securing bolt and nut to secure it to the boot floor.
I ordered the bottom foam insert and the two top covers from Audi to complete the parts I need - it cost me £290 altogether!
Needless to say I'm well chuffed!

On a side note Audi will only supply the parts for cars built before 2018.

All fitted now, took me about an hour altogether, hardest part was getting the old large foam insert out, after that it was a doddle!

No Picture's I'm afraid but I got all the information from this thred :-

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=1916963

There is a very good pictorial guide on page 2 which is the one I followed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ill take a look.

Like I said earlier, I bought a space saver wheel last year, which came in a carry bag, cost around £120.

I just keep it in the boot, yes takes a bit of room, but its my car and only driven by me, 99% of the time I'm in there on my own.
If we go away, we normally take our T5, or if the two of us go to a wedding or something, lets face it, no one is going to sit in the back!
We pop our luggage on the back seat, but there is still some room in the boot.

John.

Thanks, Ill take a look.

Like I said earlier, I bought a space saver wheel last year, which came in a carry bag, cost around £120.

I just keep it in the boot, yes takes a bit of room, but its my car and only driven by me, 99% of the time I'm in there on my own.
If we go away, we normally take our T5, or if the two of us go to a wedding or something, lets face it, no one is going to sit in the back!
We pop our luggage on the back seat, but there is still some room in the boot.

John.

I did the same in a BMW Z4 I owned, took a lot of the boot space combined with the jack and wheel brace etc.
This is mainly why I went the way I did and bought the Audi OEM conversion.

My current A7 is my first without any spare wheel at all (previously another A7 and before that Jaguar XFS). I’ve just got a subwoofer instead! Well at least I’ll get some beats when waiting for recovery :)

The missus Passat estate was a real surprise when I found it had not only a spare but a full spec alloy wheel to boot!

Reactions: acer54