No remap said I was burning oil

Beeblebrox

Reaction score
Hi guys I just returned from the garage where my car a Audi a4 tdi 170 it was supposed to get a dpf deleted and remap but he said he wouldn't do this as my car was burning oil and had erratic injector corrections he said I was burning oil due to the white smoke coming from back as far as I'm aware my car dose this on startup but once warm it's doesn't smoke anymore and I have Owned the car for 9 months and never had to top up the oil even checking every week if I was burning oil iw old need to top up surely as for the injectors these where replaced by Audi at the last service under the recall any ideas how I can check if I'm burning oil with out a hefty garage bill many thanks Chris

Are you sure its white smoke? Cause oil smoke should be blue. White smoke means coolant in the exhaust.

Interested in following this, i sometimes have a light plume of bluey grey smoke if i put my foot down but checking the oil it never seems to go down at all.
Its the 170 with dpf, does anybody else have this at all?
Im not sure whether it just does it after not putting my foot down for a while, i don't think it does it constantly when accelerating.

I do sometimes feel the slight cough when the dpf regens, but i don't think the smoke is related to this?

take it to a diff garage for a map
if your not topping up then all should be good.
but audi do quote upto 1tr per 1000 miles

Horse ****, Tdis always black smoke under inital 'lead foot' but as above, white is not oil..

Is this the same with a dpf? I thought they were supposed to stop that?

If thats the case ill stop worrying :)

So you think I shouldn't worry as he seemed to think if he remapped it would blow up or something he also recommend that did a compression test as he said it was piston ring related I have looked at exhaust as well and there is no oily residue on the pipes and its a brand new stainless system so if I was burning oil there should be signs of oil residue and power doesn't seem affected pull like day one I purchased it

Ok update I decided to clean the egr valve replaced all gaskets and seals and after removing the intercooler pipe I found oil in it this bad I know after starting it up I got plumes of blue smoke from cold but warm no smoke again so is this a symptom of oil seals on the turbo or some other seal or just from where the gunk from the inlet got into the combustion chamber ideas please

Check the turbo. remove the air filter and remove the pipe that goes from the MAF to the Turbo. you should be able to feel if there is play on the turbo. also get your phone down there and take a picture of the turbines. there should be virtually no play on the turbo if its not knackard.

Sounds like the garage has sound advice. They could have remapped it and said nothing. Then your engine could have gone bang. A remap will soon find any weakness. Have your turbo checked before you have the remap.

How did he know you were burning oil? Did he have an exhaust probe on it? White smoke could just be condensation burning off in the exhaust itself. Blue smoke on initial start up then clearing up could be stem seals leaking. If a turbo seal is leaking, it will burn oil all the time when the oil pressure rises. It could be the garage has no real idea. Too many variables.

Ok I see that the turbo looks fine can't see any play I read somewhere that the seal when cold weep oil and when they warmup they stop any oil on the turbo seals or as Steve220 said maybe the stem seal where can I locate these to check as this seems to be the issue once staring cold I get the blue smoke once I drive off and after 5 mins its gone but I am hoping omg performance might be able to advise me on Wednesday as they promise a diagnostic check while performing the remap not just pluging in the car but performing a manual inspection.

Thats how i'd expect an inspection to be done anyway. Too many damn electrics in modern cars, nothing wrong with going back to basics. Stem seals are hard to diagnose on sight as its all internal engine.

My 170 was the exact same. It was the oil seal in the turbo and the intercooler had gone too. Also had to replace the tandem pump and diesel pump in the boot. This cured all my problems ,like the ones you have. Got the remap dpf and egr delete. Like a new car now.

sorry to ask but how much was the repair bill for the turbo seal intercooler and etc just kneed to know to justify the cost if you dont mind pm me and did audi carry out the work or an independent garage

So omg did my dpf egr valve delete plus remapping great job the guys where friendly and knew what they where doing they checked my turbo and for other signs of leakage but alas none to be found.
I left David and his mechanic mario to the job while I went into town came to find the work done and they where putting the car back together.
David from omg performance took me out for a test drive and the difference was astonishing after we came back he plugged the car back in to check he mass air flow and as I was getting a acrid smell the oxygen sensor which seemed fine the car runs like a dream I even get a bit of turbo whistle now but the smell he said he couldn't do anything about just told me to keep an eye on the sensor as this usually is the cause of such a smell but over all they did a brilliant job and I would recommend them

Good stuff. The car drives far better with all those extras off it. Lol. Cost me £700 from tuning company to do. Car runs great now