No Swirl Mark Wash

Syed Shah

Cars are a mans best friend, then dogs..
Reaction score
So now that I have picked up my Audi, I've been very quick to realise that it picks up a hell of a lot of dirt and filth off the roads.. Only had it since Wednesday and it already looks like a cat that's been rolling around in the mud.

So I wanted to wash it but didn't want any swirl marks. I have a few cleaning products, but wanted some advice on how to achieve the best wash without any swirl marks (my OCD will go out of the roof if swirl marks appear).. I don't want to be calling someone to come wash the car for me all the time when I can just take some time out myself and wash it at my own leisure..

Can anyone let me know how they would wash their car? Also product recommendations would be lovely.

Thank you

The variation in methods and products will be infinite, but to get things started here’s my regime:
AutoFinesse citrus pre-wash. Agitate with detailing brush then jet wash off after 5-10 minutes
Pro Valet ph neutral snow foam. Jet was off after 10 minutes or so.
Auto Glym conditioning shampoo wash (2 bucket method with micro fibre noodle mitt)
Auto Glym Express wax dry off with micro fibre cloths
If I’m feeling really fussy, enhance shine with Auto Glym rapid detailer

Reactions: Syed Shah
As your vehicle is brand new, some would recommend a decontamination treatment before you wash, polish or do anything to the paintwork.

Head over to detailingworld.co.uk lots of help and reviews.

Stopping swirls involves as touch less wash as possible, but realistically, if you look closely, the dealer would have already inflicted swirls when they prepped it.

I’m a fan of the Gyeon range. S4 is protected with Gyeon can coat. Weekly wash uses 2 bucket method, Gyeon bathe+, lambs wool mitt for top half, incredimitt for bottom half, wheel woolies and separate bucket for wheels with auto finesse imperial, also Gyeon iron for backup on the wheels if needed.
Dryer with 3 x woolie mammouth drying towels, spritz of Gyeon cure, then final wipe.
Use Gyeon wet coat as a top up every month or so.

You can, and will spend lots of hard earned money depending on how far you want to go!

Thank you guys for suggestions. Obviously it’s a lease so I dont want to spend an extravagant amount of money hence why I just prefer doing it myself!

I have however been thinking about getting a car blow dryer as it prevents having to touch the bodywork as much.. (one of them blowers that blow moisture off the bodywork)

The key thing is a snowfoam. it ensures 90% of the dirt to come off prior to touching the car.

Bilt Hamber auto foam in a pump sprayer cleans very well once pressure washed off after a couple of minuets. For winter and a car driven regularly it’s prob clean enough to leave at that.

If touch washing instead of two buckets I have a wash one and no rinse. Instead I hose off the mitt between panels as I find the rinse water gets too dirty this time of year and it also keeps the mitt extremely clean looking compared to using a rinse bucket.

Car pro hydro02 foam is amazing stuff once clean I apply a quick thin layer gentle wipe over with a fresh mitt then jet off. It’s fantastic an unprotected car is now protected to some degree and beads fantastically.

Open ended hose rinse to finish and car is practically dry quick pat with drying towel and I’m done.

Perfect until weather improves and proper coatings can be applied. The car pro foam should last weeks also. I’m 10 days I so far and the wife’s car that’s never been polished ect and lives outside is still beading away and so easy to wash/ dry

The key thing is a snowfoam. it ensures 90% of the dirt to come off prior to touching the car.

I love snow foaming but I am under no illusions that it does much compared to just pressure washing from dry. It does remove the big stuff but so does jet washing without it. It's the smaller stuff that will swirl the paint.

I agree Nick. I too found no big difference between snow foam and just pressure washing.

If you are really bothered by swirls, don’t buy dark cars. I’ve owned black cars as well as dark blue cars and despite careful washing techniques, swirls eventually appeared in all of them . My last 3 cars have been white where it was very difficult to notice any signs of swirling.

A good paint protection/coating from a reputable detailer helps to reduce surface energy thus making washing easier with less force required to remove dirt. The hydrophobic properties of these coatings will also result in less energy required to dry the vehicle.

There are many methods on how to wash your car. I use the method described in the link below with great results. This guy has been detailing my cars for over 10 years. If you open the link, the method is described half way down the page.

https://finalinspection.com.au/blogs/stuff-you-should-know/drama-clean-the-zero-bucket-method

Reactions: Syed Shah and Nickfrog
Exactly ST, although I still snow foam as it's very good fun and people think I am a weirdo.

I totally agree with white : it really hides swirls incredibly well. Add a cheap glaze and it will hide any that may be visible.

I suppose that's precisely why I just went for flat black for the A4, pretty suicidal but it's a lease so slightly less bothered although I'll still look after it if the dealer hasn't used a brick to prep it before the PDI.

I’ve taken a shine to the optimum range or no rinse products. Particularly optimum no rinse wash and wax.

Then I use opti seal as a drying aid and sealant and get some lovely beading.

I use a microfibres noodle for cleaning and then several micro fibre towels from rag master to dry and apple the opti seal. Took ages the first time but a quick maintenance clean only takes 20 minutes

Reactions: Syed Shah and cuke2u
I like the look of the optimum product as I have to do all my work outside on our driveway. Thanks for the heads up...

If you want a cheap Nano/Ceramic Coating that won’t break the bank (notice you said it was a lease car) try CarPro Cquartz Uk and Top up after wash with CarPro Reload! You can get both for under £50 and a doddle to apply yourself.

I like the look of the optimum product as I have to do all my work outside on our driveway. Thanks for the heads up...

Did a good job even on a very dirty car. Gave it a spray down with the hose before hand due to the amount of dirt.

If you want a cheap Nano/Ceramic Coating that won’t break the bank (notice you said it was a lease car) try CarPro Cquartz Uk and Top up after wash with CarPro Reload! You can get both for under £50 and a doddle to apply yourself.

Thanks for that! Might have to look into that

Reactions: Scottyg
I think you may wish to make the other pictures private...

The pictures weren’t uploaded to my account or anything so not sure what you’re on about. Imgur has millions of upload from other people though

Ah I see, it seems to place random images in. This will be one I'll never use...

Stopping swirls involves as touch less wash as possible, but realistically, if you look closely, the dealer would have already inflicted swirls when they prepped it.

When I collected the A5 in Oct I told them not to touch the car apart from taking off the white protective sticky sheeting it comes with, no sponge or anything to hit the car....they said "A lot of people are asking for that now". When I collected the black S3 in 2015 they had washed it first!!! It had marks on from day 1...lesson learned then ;)

In the winter I try as much as possible just to snowfoam/jet wash most of the muck off, maybe hand was 1 out of every 4-5 washes.

The S3 was black = full time job keeping it clean
The A5 is white = a walk in the park keeping it clean :D

majority of responses have been around getting a touch less wash and how dealers shouldn't wash the car (so mine has marks most probably). so i have been contemplating the idea of getting the hot air blower that dries the car.. has anyone used one before that can shed light on whether it'd be a good buy?

majority of responses have been around getting a touch less wash and how dealers shouldn't wash the car (so mine has marks most probably). so i have been contemplating the idea of getting the hot air blower that dries the car.. has anyone used one before that can shed light on whether it'd be a good buy?
Are you married? A lot of people would say use the wife! they are always blowing a load of hot air :D may as well make use of them for something!!! :p

Reactions: V6_Man, TripleD, BarryG79 and 1 other person
Are you married? A lot of people would say use the wife! they are always blowing a load of hot air :D may as well make use of them for something!!! :p

hahahahah :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:! im not married yet hence why this won't be the best option for me (just yet!!)

Reactions: S32B
hahahahah :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:! im not married yet hence why this won't be the best option for me (just yet!!)
Seriously though, I dry mine off with the Kent drying towel, cheap and works great, just flick it out flat like you're putting a beach towel down and just pull from the corners...fold over and wipe the sides down in long straight lines!

Review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/94758/kent-extra-large-microfibre-drying-towel

Morrisons are doing them for £4 https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Kent-Extra-Large-Microfibre-Drying-Towel/261826011

This gives you the idea: