Noise from auxiliary belt area 1.9tdi AVF

S3 GAZ

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice.

I have started to have a humming/drone noise coming from the auxiliary belt area of my 1.9 tdi 130 AVF. Car feels sluggish at the moment too.

It can be heard on tick over with a ticking noise i think coming from the alternator.
The belt looks like it's jumping about a bit on the tensioner.

Also on full lock I'm getting a screech.

I imaging it may be one of the pulleys.
Any ideas how to find the culprit.

Sounds like tensioner failing if belt is jumping around or a pulley is off-centre somewhere/siezing

I'm changing my sisters PAS pump tomorrow as her pump is seizing on her 03 Passat 1.9tdi sport. It caused the belt to jump around/screech and stressed the tensioner so a garage replaced the belt and pulley but it's still the same. Culprit is the PAS pump after I had a look.

Remove the belt and turn the alternator/pas and any other pulley you have and check for play/stiffness and check the tensioner pulley for play.

I'd bet my bottom dollar its the alternator clutch pulley. I'm on my phone just now so can't really link but if you search for it on the forum you will find it is a common fault.

If the pulley has gone on the alternator check the belt tensioner as well as it takes a good hammering when the pulley sicks and may fail in short order.

As said do both at the same time. When the acp went on my bora I only replaced that, then the tensioner failed completely a week later.

Not had a chance to look yet but thanks for the info. Will look tomorrow and post back results.

Where can I get replacement pulleys from at bon dealer prices

Cool from what I've read il need a special tool to change the alternator clutch pulley. Hopefully my mate has one or can source it.

Thanks again guys. Will let yous know how I get on

Sorry for late update. Finally got round to fitting replacement clutch pulley, tensioner and belt. Has cured all noise from both alternator and the screech on full lock. Belt is no longer jumping around and is very smooth.

The old tensioner was shot and there was a fair bit of play in the clutch pulley. All in cost me £75
Car is nice and quiet again. Thanks for everyone's input and help

Glad it was sorted. I changed the Power steering pump on my sisters car, improved the steering 10 fold! But didn't cure the jumping and screeching. It was the clutch pulley too. £45 later and it's all sorted now. Well, that issue is! lol

Dan

She didn't really notice any at the time as it had been a bit heavy since she bought the car and assumed that's how it was.

It was only once I had replaced the pump, due the belt jumping because of the clutch pulley, it was making the pump stall/screech.

With the 2nd hand pump on she said steering was much better/lighter. So the original pump may have been slowly failing over time anyway.

Gsf at trade price and mind youl need the 21 spline tool to remove the clutch pulley and a in my experience a buzz gun as it needs to be shocked off.