Noise when steering at low speed

Savage

Savage
Reaction score
I've searched the forum and found that a number of people have had a problem with creaking steering.

My 56 A3 with 6000 miles has just started making a faint clunking / clicking every half-turn or so of the steering wheel when moving at low speed.

The noise is coming from the nearside front area and everytime it clicks / knocks when turning the steering wheel I can feel the vibrations if I put my hand on the alloy wheel itself or the shock / strut assembley (obviously when stationary and going lock-to-lock with someone else in the car).

I haven't really looked at it muh further than that at the moment, maybe it's a CV joint? Maybe it's the rack? Anyone have similar experiences or suggestions?

It's booked into the dealers next week anyway.

hi, there,

have similar clunking problems through the steering rack in my A3
('97 with 59K), have spoke to a mechanic friend who thought the prob is with a worn joint at the end of the rack.

It was just a theory of his but not a proven fact, steering is fine at speed but only noticable at low speed.

Let us know how u get on with the dealer....im interested to know myself

regards....

Hi, will do, it sounds as though it could well be the rack. It's at it's loudest when turning left but it also does it, ever so faintly, when turning right.

Anyone ever had experience of Tonbridge Audi service department?

Well just to keep the thread up to date, took it in today and guess what........ new steering rack required. Booked it in for 2 days and few weeks time.

Yeah thought it was the rack, apparently they're pretty much a sealed unit so it cant have parts replaced...is it under warranty?
mite have to address the problem myself, but thinking of aquiring an S3 or S2000 soon so might not bother...

Good luck matey...

Thanks, yeah it is under warranty so they can replace the whole engine if they want lol.

Bit annoying but at least with another 2 years on the warranty to go, if the new one goes again there should be time to resolve the problem for good.

I'm getting that on my 53 plate A3. When say parking and I start to creep in reverse and lock the steering wheel, it creaks as if metal is grinding. It's quite disturbing!
Is this related to the problem?

Mine was more a definite knocking every half turn or so. There was't much creaking, groaning or grinding from mine.

Funny, i noticed this in my S3 yestarday, dropped into dealer to see the lovely Hannah :hubbahubba: , they have had two in that week already.

Went out with Gary the master tech and he confirmed it was the steering rack and that they had replaced loads already. Gary also said that he thought a fix had been undertaken for the newer models, not so!

Audi are currently not replacing the racks as they are trying to source a new fix to cure the problem. Some have had a new rack fitted and it has been worse than the old!

I'll keep posted cause if mine is going to take ages i might just reject the car.

One can only ask, maybe i'll get a sneaky shot when i go back to have the steering sorted!

Does any one know if Audi have fixed the creaking steering rack problem?

My S3 has developed this “feature” and it has only done 1500 miles.

A5GUR said:
ive also got this. how long does it take them to sort it out?

I also have the same problem on my S3, started when last week, with only 800 miles on the clock :mad::mad:

I don't see the point in taking it to the dealer, as from reading the posts above, and a few other threads, there doesn't seem to be a fix. From doing a bit of research apparantly this was a problem on earlier A3's, and an updated rack was meant to fix it

Obviously this is not the case, since brand new A3/S3's straight out of the factory still have the same noise!!

So if a new rack won't cure it, there isn't much anyone can do at the moment, apart from leave the CD player on loud :sadlike:

My 56 plate A3 TDI makes a slight grinding noise when moving the steering at low speed, definitely not a clunk or knock but a light grinding noise.
Only done 4800 miles so still under warranty, not had it for long so kind of ignored the noise......may get it looked at now!!

I took mine in to be done and they turned it around in the same day. I was a little suspicious about this and I'm adamant they didn't replace the rack at all. It still makes the noise but I've learnt to ignore it now and don't notice it all.

Hello,

Glad this has been brought up, my S3 has had this noise ever since i had it, but never thought anything of it.

Should i take it to the dealer? will it only get worse?

I gave mine in today as didnt need the car for a couple of weeks. Workshop controller sat in my car, watched me turn my steering wheel once and said 'i know what it is'. It was the steering rack. They sorting it out. Will see if its any better when i get it back and will update the thread!

Today I took my car to the dealer for them to hear the creaking noise (no booking required).

The service man drove the car around the car lot and knew what the problem was strait away.

He filled in a form to Audi to request that the steering rack to be changed but only if this would rectify the fault permanently. A reply from Audi should only take a day and if Audi say yes I can book my car in next week to get it done. The work should only take 4 hours to do.

My shiny S3 is only a week old now and i can hear the low speed knock/crunch on reversing from my drive. Bit annoying if Audi knows steering rack is an issue but its not addressed. Will sit on it and see if it gets worse before i shout warranty.

A5GUR said:
I gave mine in today as didnt need the car for a couple of weeks. Workshop controller sat in my car, watched me turn my steering wheel once and said 'i know what it is'. It was the steering rack. They sorting it out. Will see if its any better when i get it back and will update the thread!

Your car was spotted by my brother at the Audi place near the Blues ground! He took a few pics of it and showed them to me, and saw the no. plate, and thought, 'i've seen that somewhere!' :) :)

Said he loved the colour, by the way, which annoyed me beacuse i think white is the best :cool:

cheers mate. I think white is also the best. But id say blue is second. Yeh, its at the service depo by the blues ground. They took it in straight away, and replaced it the following day. not had a chance to pick it up yet though. Did they clean it? lol

I knew the internet would find others in a similar situation to myself!

On my second A3 2.0TDi SE Sportback - 07 reg new in June 07. My first was an 05 reg which did nearly 40,000 miles with no problem.

Car has done 5500 miles and I noticed this noise about 1,000 miles ago. Groaning when turning the wheel to the left.

Took it in yesterday, technician knew what the problem was straight away and a new steering rack is his diagnosis taking 2 days. He has changed a few on A3s and A4s.

Now had a call from Audi to say the part is on back order - never a good sign, but if it gets worse I can have a courtesy car until it comes in.

I had to take my car back to the dealer before the report regarding the steering rack could be sent to Audi because it had to include a steering rack number from the onboard computer. The report also included a statement that I did not want the steering rack replaced if it did not solve the problem permanently.

Had a phone call the next day saying that Audi have accepted the report and the part is on back order. So it’s booked in for the middle of December to be done.

As a side note there was a R8 in the garage with no rear wheels with a couple of mechanics looking into the engine bay. So it’s nice to know A3 are not the only cars that Audi owners have problems with.

A5GUR said:
cheers mate. I think white is also the best. But id say blue is second. Yeh, its at the service depo by the blues ground. They took it in straight away, and replaced it the following day. not had a chance to pick it up yet though. Did they clean it? lol

Thanks for the compliment mate :icon_thumright: So did they manage to fix the problem then? I can't believe you didn't pick the car up as soon as they fixed it! I hate leaving my car out of sight for a few hours let alone a few days :)

Guys, picked up my car today and it seems sorted. Although i think they have got rid of the active steering as it feels heavy when steering at idle low speeds. Although i cant prove this. The noise has deffo gone though. They did it in a day?

Mine is a two day job as the local dealer doesn't have 4 wheel laser alignment facilty. It's a day to fit then a day to get it to a neighbouring dealer for it to be aligned correctly.

Same problem. Booked in for possible rack replacement in two weeks.

Interestingly mine only creaks on turning to the left, as others have reported in this forum.

emzino said:
I'm getting that on my 53 plate A3. When say parking and I start to creep in reverse and lock the steering wheel, it creaks as if metal is grinding. It's quite disturbing!
Is this related to the problem?

hey emzino, just read ur problem with the grinding and noise when in reverse, i have the same problem! my car's gone 19000kms and had 2 services so far. took it in to audi the other day and they said it's normal, "brake creep". i found that if i stepped on the brakes hard, then the noise goes away when i turn the wheel....after reading all this, im starting to think maybe the steering rack is busted....ARRGGH! :motz:

Hi Guys

Just a quick FYI

My 07 2.0T Quattro SB had a steering rack replaced at 2.5K and I have just booked it in for another one at 7.5K - VERY DISGUSTED IN AUDI.

Chris.

Mine has just started creaking when turning left,just over 3000 miles on the clock

Mine has just started too... is it un-safe????
Or can it wait until it goes in for it first service in a few months time? Sounds like the replacement units go too, so i'm in no rush unless it's unsafe to do so!