Noisy fuel flap

pedro61163

Reaction score
Anybody had problems with fuel flap release when unlocking car? It makes croaking noise. I tried lubricating but no joy . Anyone know how to gain access to look at mechanism?

These flaps has been a problem since they came out in 2000 something. Had one fail on my last A6 and wife’s car as well.
There’s 2 way it can fail.
The spring loaded bit(can’t remember what it’s called) where you push it and it springs open. If this fails there is a red emergency cord that you can pull and it will release.
If the mechanism fails then it won’t unlock and by default you can’t open it without breaking the mechanism. The emergency pull cord won’t work in this scenario and if you call the aa they will make you sign a disclaimer saying they won’t be responsible for damage to bodywork as they have to wedge something in and lever it till the bit breaks. I used a wooden spatula on my A6 on a towel and wedged it till it broke so I could get fuel in.
Good news it will be fixed under warranty or if you are out then the part isn’t terribly expensive.

I think you are mistaking the noise for the fuel pump priming, it does when you unlock the car / open the drivers door. Can’t say I’ve ever heard a fuel flap lock.

Yes this is a well known issue.

The buzzy flap syndrome

Our GTD started doing it upon locking and it’s a simple fix of a new Actuator at £20.

71be8da42664d5adf1462d670d5e30e4.jpg

If you have nothing else to worry about with your car then I’d say it was a win.